Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu TMI Incident honeypot

Author Topic: TMI Incident  (Read 43687 times)

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
Re: TMI Incident
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2009, 07:25 »
I heard today that Areva's pipe-end decon system blew through the HEPA unit....that would certainly make a mess in hurry.

Confirmation?

MLP

« Reply #26 on: Nov 24, 2009, 02:02 »
Something the industry does not want to have happen, but they know it is likely to occur.  The task of replacing two STM GEN in a nuclear power plant is HIGHLY LIKELY to cause some contaminated particles to be disturbed. 

I suppose cutting a large whole in the side of the containment building, cutting STM GEN piping - would cause a little dust. Yes, likely contaminated. Plasma cutting of contaminated piping moves particles around as well.

I can remember replacing leaking O Rings on the STM GEN heater bundles (3) and there was a significant limits and precautions, primarily mandatory local dust/dirt barriers on the integrated scaffolding. Just for cleanliness, no radiation or contaminated particles involved.

Now for whatever reason, this event should have never escalated beyond the rad tech supervision....in my opinion.  I have been on the frontline of heavily contaminated areas,
it is simply, a "Time, Distance and Shielding" and a Anti-C protection world". A nuclear power plant is no place for on the job training, for many.

Things like this are likely to occur when specific task briefing is neither given or adhered
to, who's to say?....only the "hands on" staff are most accurate source - and certainly not any one outside of the containment building. 

Not a win for the industry to have the public nose in it.  The first to cry when the lights go out.

As a dedicated alumni of the US Fleet of US reactors....if this 'routine part of a job do get done' was any where else in the US...no one would have blinked an eye.  We can thank the anti-nuclear movement for this unnecessary escalation of what comes with the territory.   

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #27 on: Nov 24, 2009, 04:47 »
Yeah I think its about time we start educating the "Public"........this seems like a very silly event.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2009, 07:09 »
Not being biased and being close to the source, not one person has quite hit the nail squarely on the head regarding their guesswork.
 thats all I have to say about that......

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2009, 07:48 »
FYI,

At approximately 1600 on Saturday an unexpected increase in airborne radioactivity developed in the Reactor Building.  This was immediately evident by the alarming of local air monitors first in the B D-ring, then in other areas of the Reactor Building.  As per procedure, the control room and OCC were notified and all work was stopped.  Personnel were directed to exit the reactor building until conditions could be assessed.  Precautionary actions were then taken to cover reactor building openings, including lowering of the pre-installed curtain at the construction hatch, and covering the personnel hatch entrance area.  RB purge supply fans were secured to maximize purge exhaust ventilation flow and reduce air flow out of the construction opening.  An airborne sample taken at the inside of the construction opening at 1830 showed activity levels had returned to normal values.  The calculated release for this event was 0.7% of TMI’s annual limit, which is equivalent to 0.1 mrem on an annual limit of 15 mrem.   No contamination was found on any surfaces outside the containment building – in other words, this event posed no threat to public health or safety, or the health or safety of our team.

The inside airborne contamination was caused by a slight change in air pressure inside the containment building that dislodged small irradiated particles in the reactor system piping. Some of the small particles were lofted into the air inside the building and were detected by an array of monitors in place to detect such material.

The air pressure change occurred when fans were started to supply warm air to the Reactor Building.   

145 Whole Body Counts (WBC) were completed using the bioassay process with the results being validated by the Radiological Technical Manager and Corporate RP staff as well as the NRC.  Some workers may continue to alarm the gamma monitors at the main access facility until the activity is biologically eliminated from the body over the next few days.  All workers are expected to receive zero (0) mrem of dose following completion of final whole body counts.

Each person in the United States receives about 300 mrem per year of radiation dose from naturally occurring sources.  The activity released during this event was about 0.1 mrem (one tenth of one mrem). 

Hope this clears things up......... RELAX...

So there was an unplanned release.  I guess that clears up my question as to why the local authorities were notified.  Thanks! 
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

kp88

« Reply #30 on: Nov 24, 2009, 09:20 »
The calculated release for this event was 0.7% of TMI’s annual limit, which is equivalent to 0.1 mrem on an annual limit of 15 mrem.
One event which is probably ninety percent of the TMI administrative dose guideline for the year.
I think that I'm going to get training on this. 

Marvin

« Reply #31 on: Nov 24, 2009, 10:02 »
Did they get any bloodwork done? How about chromosome aberration dosimetry.  Come on, just putting a plug in for the dosimetrists.  They need work too....

pmelendy

« Reply #32 on: Nov 25, 2009, 12:04 »
Thanks to Mutant for reminding us all where our bread is buttered.  You sound really fun.  Having said that, I was also at Diablo for the SGR's, on the refuel floor, and I've just got two words:  in, sane.  Four, five, or six loads in the air at any one time, crews on top of crews, looky-lou's looking at other looky-lou's, RP speedbumps getting hopped at every turn.  Our house foreman showed superhuman mind-control in the face of total annihilation, at times having to throw dozens of well-meaning but extraneous bodies out of the can, just so we could focus on minor tasks, like, oh, moving the Reactor Head.  It's a miracle nobody got killed, and it's even a bigger miracle house RP didn't get themselves royally hosed from kowtowing to SGT's every retarded whim. 
I, like Mr. LaVaginier, was not terribly impressed with SGT, as I'm sure they are equally underwhelmed with the needs and concerns of Joe Metermonkey.  We do so much, dear friends, that goes totally unnoticed, and hence, totally unappreciated, (and uncompensated.)  Our experienced eyes see so many uh-ohs before they happen, whether it's our purview or not, save newbies from certain O.E.-hood, and stay awake throughout the most pointless meetings ever conceived.  Sometimes we even get a cool mug!  Keep up the good work, folks.

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 25, 2009, 03:33 »
Actually, SGT is handing out these cool ice scrappers...must know we will be here until February!!!  :P
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #34 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:03 »

I, like Mr. LaVaginier, was not terribly impressed with SGT,

That's pronounced La-Vig-anaeyqr@#p buddy! ;D
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #35 on: Nov 25, 2009, 10:04 »
Still no confirmation what really happened?

Areva pipe-end decon system dust collection can lets loose and "poof"......right?

Offline starving_dog

• Moderate User
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #36 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:41 »
Still no confirmation what really happened?

Areva pipe-end decon system dust collection can lets loose and "poof"......right?

Not so much, I am thinking more along the lines of valve line-ups and changes to containment purge.
There are the Habs, and the Hab nots.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:13 »
Not being biased and being close to the source, not one person has quite hit the nail squarely on the head regarding their guesswork.
 thats all I have to say about that......

Ran a HEPA vac without a HEPA?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #38 on: Nov 30, 2009, 11:14 »
That's pronounced La-Vig-anaeyqr@#p buddy! ;D

wail,hail!  iffen yinz gist spelt things batter, know buddy wood git it skrewed up, doncha no.

bot (bak on topic) eye herd dat da s/g crew had cut da cold legs off both s/gs 'n ops turned on da containment ventilation witch caused da problem.  aye got this last weak.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #39 on: Nov 30, 2009, 12:54 »
wail,hail!  iffen yinz gist spelt things batter, know buddy wood git it skrewed up, doncha no.

bot (bak on topic) eye herd dat da s/g crew had cut da cold legs off both s/gs 'n ops turned on da containment ventilation witch caused da problem.  aye got this last weak.

----Activate the SloGlo universal translator------

<whirr, buzz, click, click, whirr, beep, beep>

You guys don't know how to spell good

Somebody flipped a switch and made things go wrong.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #40 on: Nov 30, 2009, 04:32 »
----Activate the SloGlo universal translator------

lmao.... yinzer awl write.  ;)

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:02 »
I think I have it now from a bud on the Island:  Dude lit off a HEPA vac with no HEPA in it.  Blew nasties from one D ring into another.  Purge picked it up and POOF...

Bingo?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2009, 02:13 »
But that's what the guy 3 people back in line at Gaby's was saying, and I think he was a roadie...so isn't that like almost the same as INPO?  :P

Jr8black3

« Reply #43 on: Dec 04, 2009, 03:18 »
Who cares, what happened there happens all over the place..jeez.The outage goes on period..Thats the way it is..If your an RP/HP and ya never seen somthing all of sudden go airborne, you will work through it, it's what management wants..

One thing you need to know, and I know this first hand.

Manager's do not care about you

Speaking only about a certain company.. it starts with a B and ends in a T

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #44 on: Dec 04, 2009, 08:19 »
Who cares..
betcha doze alara types care.  a mrem issa mrem issa mrem...

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 04, 2009, 10:16 »
After you didn't get far chumming the Areva PED bait it seems like your "bud" fed you a story you can believe   Why look for confirmation from strangers?  Is your "bud" not trustworthy?  Is he/she/it on fantasy island rather than 2.5 mile island?  If you are at a commercial plant and have rudimentary research skills you will be able to find out what happened.  ¿Comprendé dude?

Whatup all the hostility, Mutant?  Chill.  Union organizing is about people skills.  Find some.

Got no time for research.  Too many 12s.  Email is easier.

ageoldtech

« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2009, 07:28 »
This is the latest version I got from TMI.
Preliminary status of root cause:

The RCE team has concluded the airborne radioactivity resulted from the discharge of high activity contamination from a wet vacuum that was inappropriately being used to vacuum the (debris found inside the) ‘A’ cold leg. 

1.      The workers that used the wet vac did not know or did not recognize that the vacuum cleaner was inappropriate for the job.

2.      The job coverage RP technician did not inspect the vacuum prior to use, other than to perform a dose rate from a distance with a telepole.

3.      The vacuum was clearly labeled: “SGR #1 WET ONLY”. 

4.      The initiation of the reactor building purge supply fan concurrent with or shortly before the initiation of ‘A’ cold leg vacuuming resulted in the rapid removal of airborne contamination away from the workers in the ‘A’ D-ring and dispersal throughout the ‘B’ D-ring and the upper elevations of containment. Airborne radioactivity exited containment via the construction hatch opening and the personnel hatch.

Jr8black3

« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2009, 08:03 »
Slo..lol I'm sure people cared.. What I'm saying is a couple of folks screwed up it's not the first time or place,, it wont be the last..What do ya do stop the outage and send everybody back through training..

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:42 »
No, we hopefully learn from out mistakes and try not to let it happen again!
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2009, 01:00 »
No, we hopefully learn from out mistakes and try not to let it happen again!

Yet that vacuum was there in the first place.  Interesting scenario, though.  Use a vacuum to work on the S/G cold leg and not have barriers in place to prevent the vacuum discharge to the local environment.   Didn't the industry learn from S/G jumping to install a tent around areas with high contamination potential?  Let alone use higher tech equipment than a wet vac to do the job?
Maybe it's time for me to climb out of these ditches and back into containment.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?