Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Sub or Surface? honeypot

Author Topic: Sub or Surface?  (Read 8975 times)

Jdam8139

Sub or Surface?
« on: Dec 05, 2009, 12:57 »
I am currently a DEPper waiting on my Feb. ship date. I don't know any prior nukes and the nuke coordinator for our recruiting zone seldom comes around...so...does anyone have any advice on whether I should try to go surface or sub? Originally I wanted to go surface but I've heard that sub training is difficult and I want to be the absolute best at whatever I do...

Also, when I get to NNPTC will I get to choose the rating I want to pursue? If so what are the pros and cons of EM and ET (I don't think I want to do MM)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired

co60slr

Re: Sub or Surface?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2009, 08:42 »
I wanted to go surface but I've heard that sub training is difficult and I want to be the absolute best at whatever I do...
Choosing the easiest path in life and being the best at it does not normally get you very far.  For example, getting an "A" in a pre-algebra course is MUCH less than a B+ in a differential equations course. 

Take the tough Navy assignments that no one else wants, maybe in geographical locations that no one else wants, give it 110% effort, be the best, and you will be rewarded.  Continually ask for the "easy way out" and "mastering the simple tasks" and you'll be equally rewarded.

Good luck...

Offline LivinginParadise

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:06 »
Ever see "The Ringer" with Johnny Knoxville? .....

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:04 »
I am currently a DEPper waiting on my Feb. ship date. I don't know any prior nukes and the nuke coordinator for our recruiting zone seldom comes around...so...does anyone have any advice on whether I should try to go surface or sub? Originally I wanted to go surface but I've heard that sub training is difficult and I want to be the absolute best at whatever I do...

Also, when I get to NNPTC will I get to choose the rating I want to pursue? If so what are the pros and cons of EM and ET (I don't think I want to do MM)

Unless things have changed, you'll find out your rating in Boot Camp.  If you haven't been guaranteed a rate, you may be an MM.  I had dreams of being an ET.  Thank goodness I was made an EM.  EMs tend to have to learn about everything on a sub.  We used to call it a bitch rate because anybody could break our gear, but we rarely got to reciprocate. 

As a submarine guy, I think more highly of the submarine service.   One of the good things about subs is that everyone will know you.  One of the bad things about subs is that everyone will know you.  In general I think submarine guys know more about all areas of being a nuke, while the surface guys can be more specialized.  This is a weak generalization.  Remember that a carrier is always at test depth.  Best of Luck!
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:00 »
Ohio Class SSBM  560 ft in length 42 ft beam, crew 155
Los Angeles Class SSN length 361 ft Beam 32 ft, 134

While in boot camp, envision all your company crammed into a space as detailed above, filed to the gills with equipment, then imagine being there for a minimum of 2 months at sea, never seeing the sky or feeling the ocean breeze. 

The challenge for sub service is as I see it, not technical, it is psychological.  The question is can you live in extremely close quarters for extended periods of time, and enjoy it.

Anyway, when I enlisted, I too wanted to go submarines, wanting to be macho and all that, but at the time, if you wore glasses it as an immediate disqualifier.   All that said, I still wanted subs, that is until I went to the D1G prototype for training.   There I had the opportunity to go into the S3G plant and I immediately saw the difference between surface and subs.  It is called SPACE.  The surface fleet is now is all aircraft carriers, and these ships dwarf even what massive space I thought cruisers offered.  That said, my preferences for sea duty was always destroyers and cruisers because of the smaller crews.  The idea of going to sea with 5,000 other people just did not appeal to me.

So your choice is go to sea on a floating city, have more ports of call, and the opportunity to watch sun sets and storms at sea, or go submarines and experience none of the at sea visual and other sensory experiences the surface fleet offers.  On the other hand, you will be, as posted earlier, a more closely knit crew in a very small space.

My advice is to wait until the last possible time to make your decision to go with the boats.  Find out what the nuclear and naval service is all about.  Qualify on that submarine plant.  Then with experience and age, you will be in a position to make your best decision.

Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

sdn1990

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2009, 12:50 »
My advice is to wait until the last possible time to make your decision to go with the boats.  Find out what the nuclear and naval service is all about.  Qualify on that submarine plant.  Then with experience and age, you will be in a position to make your best decision.

wow! this was really helpful to me. Now i need to pick a rate, I was thinking EM, ET, or ELT....still fuzzy on these
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2009, 02:47 by Marlin »

Samabby

« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2009, 02:24 »
" My advice "

Based on what?  8)

sdn1990

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2009, 02:40 »
I went to quote someone thats what they said I have no advice to give. only questions to ask as I am not in a postion to be giving advice in this forum. i just thought it was good advice

sdn1990

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2009, 02:42 »
i was quoting DLGN25 but did it wrong

Samabby

« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2009, 02:50 »
Good recovery, young grasshopper. You will do fine.  8)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2009, 02:55 »
i was quoting DLGN25 but did it wrong

1)To start a post with a quote hit the quote button on the post you want to reply to, the reply dialogue box will open with the quote inside it. You can then edit inside the quote brackets. and respond outside them.

2)You can start a post by hitting the reply button then insert quotes by scrolling down and hitting the quote button on the applicable post. The quote will appear where the cursor is, you can do this with multiple posts, just be sure that your cursor is where you want it for that insertion.

sdn1990

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2009, 03:06 »
"ahhh....thank you masta" (said in a humorously sounding voice)  ;D thank you marlin still trying to figure out all this but I love this site definitely makes time in my cubicle fly by and is very informative VERY excited to be a nuke!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2009, 03:27 »
VERY excited to be a nuke!

You'll be a nuke when you pass and stand the watch. Right now you are a NUB !!  >:(  Drop and gimme pushups until we get tired! Begin....

sdn1990

« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2009, 03:29 »
You'll be a nuke when you pass and stand the watch. Right now you are a NUB !!  >:(  Drop and gimme pushups until we get tired! Begin....

they don't give out push ups anymore there 8 count body builders and I'm getting nub hating already  :(? body builders suck but push ups is fine

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?