Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Being released from program? honeypot

Author Topic: Being released from program?  (Read 4686 times)

Offline LivinginParadise

• Light User
Being released from program?
« on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:40 »
First off, I'd like to start by saying that I know that I have a long way to go and a lot of quals ahead of me, but I'm trying to plan out my longterm goals here and to do that, I obviously need to look past my first couple of months on the boat.

I understand that due to all three nuclear NEC's being in CREO group 1, I would need to formally request to be released from the program, if I wanted to apply to either Navy (as a non nuke) or USMC OCS. I did some digging, but couldn't find much on exactly how this works. I have also not been able to find anyone who has successfully gone from enlisted nuke to Marine Officer, which makes me wonder if it would even be possible. (I know its theoretically possible, but pickings seem slim in the real world.)

I guess the main thing I'm trying to determine, is if my odds are better or worse if I were to go for the Thomas Edison or Excelsior degree and apply to OCS as a non nuke, or to not reenlist and go back to a brick and mortar school and try to get my degree that way before I'm too old to commission.

I'm well aware of my options down the road as far as LDO is concerned, and STA-21, but honestly, I'd much rather be Marine ground.

I ask these questions now, instead of after I've gotten into my quals, because my boat is on deployment, and if I'm going to reenlist, I'm going to do it as soon as I'm allowed, and we're in a Tax Free Zone.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2009, 10:43 by LivinginParadise »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Being released from program?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:48 »
First off, I'd like to start by saying that I know that I have a long way to go and a lot of quals ahead of me, but I'm trying to plan out my longterm goals here and to do that, I obviously need to look past my first couple of months on the boat.

I understand that due to all three nuclear NEC's being in CREO group 1, I would need to formally request to be released from the program, if I wanted to apply to either Navy (as a non nuke) or USMC OCS. I did some digging, but couldn't find much on exactly how this works. I have also not been able to find anyone who has successfully gone from enlisted nuke to Marine Officer, which makes me wonder if it would even be possible. (I know its theoretically possible, but pickings seem slim in the real world.)

I guess the main thing I'm trying to determine, is if my odds are better or worse if I were to go for the Thomas Edison or Excelsior degree and apply to OCS as a non nuke, or to not reenlist and go back to a brick and mortar school and try to get my degree that way before I'm too old to commission.

I'm well aware of my options down the road as far as LDO is concerned, and STA-21, but honestly, I'd much rather be Marine ground.

I ask these questions now, instead of after I've gotten into my quals, because my boat is on deployment, and if I'm going to reenlist, I'm going to do it as soon as I'm allowed, and we're in a Tax Free Zone.

The only two ways I know of to go enlisted nuke to Marine Officer is to either

1.  Earn an appointment to the Naval Academy and Service Select USMC
2.  Get an NROTC scholarship and service select USMC

You are not going to become a marine directly from the fleet.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline LivinginParadise

• Light User
Re: Being released from program?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:13 »
The only two ways I know of to go enlisted nuke to Marine Officer is to either

1.  Earn an appointment to the Naval Academy and Service Select USMC
2.  Get an NROTC scholarship and service select USMC

You are not going to become a marine directly from the fleet.

Thats kind of what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?