Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu TVA operations classes?

Author Topic: TVA operations classes?  (Read 11384 times)

TN_LELT

TVA operations classes?
« on: Dec 07, 2009, 01:26 »
Hello all,

I recently separated from the Navy and am currently residing in the Chattanooga, TN area.  Right now I'm just working on my masters degree full time, but would really like to get back to work (preferably in the nuclear field) soon.  Does anyone know if TVA may be starting an Operations class anytime soon?  I have been keeping a good eye on their web site for several months and haven't seen anything pop up, but I thought someone on here might be in a position to know something that could be helpful.  Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.

jowlman

Re: TVA operations classes?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2009, 02:53 »
Broadziila is in ops at SQN, he may be more in the know, but generally speaking the TVA website is the best source.

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2009, 03:04 »
What do you mean by "operations class"?
Are you looking at an NLO (Non licensed operator training) program, or an instant SRO class? Huge difference!
What is your bachelors degree in?
Recently separated from the Navy gives us no idea of your qualifications.

TN_LELT

« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2009, 03:35 »
Thanks for the input thus far.  As far as what I am looking for and a little more background info, here goes. 

I am looking for a way to get into operations, and based on what I think I know at this point, NLO would probably be the most appropriate route to take.  I say "think I know", because I have only military nuclear experience and no commercial, so I really have only a limited (if any at all) understanding of how the process works.  If my qualifications warrant another option (SRO for instance), which I believe they most likely do not, I of course would be open to that as well. 

My background includes 6 years of Navy Nuclear Experience (ELT), non-EWS.  My degree is in Nuclear Engineering Technology from Excelsior, and I am currently working on my masters in Engineering Management at UT-Chattanooga. 
Hope this clears up any confusion.

As far as the TVA website goes, I check it out regularly, but I cannot find anything indicating when a class might be coning up.  I may be looking in the wrong spot, but I figured these classes likely get filled on an "as needed" basis and when funding is available.  This is what brought me here, to try to find out when these circumstances might be met. 

Thanks again for the replies thus far.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:40 »
Thanks for the input thus far.  As far as what I am looking for and a little more background info, here goes. 

I am looking for a way to get into operations, and based on what I think I know at this point, NLO would probably be the most appropriate route to take.  I say "think I know", because I have only military nuclear experience and no commercial, so I really have only a limited (if any at all) understanding of how the process works.  If my qualifications warrant another option (SRO for instance), which I believe they most likely do not, I of course would be open to that as well. 

My background includes 6 years of Navy Nuclear Experience (ELT), non-EWS.  My degree is in Nuclear Engineering Technology from Excelsior, and I am currently working on my masters in Engineering Management at UT-Chattanooga. 
Hope this clears up any confusion.

As far as the TVA website goes, I check it out regularly, but I cannot find anything indicating when a class might be coning up.  I may be looking in the wrong spot, but I figured these classes likely get filled on an "as needed" basis and when funding is available.  This is what brought me here, to try to find out when these circumstances might be met. 

Thanks again for the replies thus far.
I'm no expert, but I don't think WBN is fielding an NLO class for a couple of years.  The requirement for direct SRO is two years as EWS/EOOW.  That is two years standing the watch.  We recently had to verify everyone in my class' qual dates to ensure we met the requirements.  There is an engineering option that is possible but I don't know the requirements.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:48 »
Yeah you are thinking correctly, NLO is what you should be looking for. TVA may not be hiring, but others may be, so don't limit yourself to that alone. You need to get your foot in the door somewhere, and with this economy, the jobs openings are pretty competitive. So, spread your resume far and wide.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:03 »
Based on your Nuke Tech Degree, I believe you qualify for an instant SRO position. There are some minimum on site time requirements. We have been hiring a large number of Navy Nuke PPWS/ EWS qualified people for instant SRO positions.
The industry is really changing, when I hired in as a NLO, the SROs where the one that knew the plant and how it operate it. Now it seems "we" want SROs to be supervisors, doesn't matter that they have no idea how to operate a commercial nuke plant.
Sorry, I'll get off my soap box.
In my opinion the best avenue for a navy nuke, no matter what your qualifications are , is to start out as an NLO.
In the long run, you'll be glad you had the experience.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:19 »
Based on your Nuke Tech Degree, I believe you qualify for an instant SRO position. There are some minimum on site time requirements. We have been hiring a large number of Navy Nuke PPWS/ EWS qualified people for instant SRO positions.
The industry is really changing, when I hired in as a NLO, the SROs where the one that knew the plant and how it operate it. Now it seems "we" want SROs to be supervisors, doesn't matter that they have no idea how to operate a commercial nuke plant.
Sorry, I'll get off my soap box.
In my opinion the best avenue for a navy nuke, no matter what your qualifications are , is to start out as an NLO.
In the long run, you'll be glad you had the experience.

I am an instant SRO in the middle of my exam and I assure you, I know how to operate the plant. ;)

I will get off my soap box. :P

Anyway, I don't think the degree alone qualifies him, considering there are people with RPI engineering degrees in our next NLO class. I believe he would have to work in another department for a while, like engineering, to get instant SRO without the EWS.

Justin

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2009, 12:38 »
From NRC Regulatory Guide 1.8:

"A nonlicensed applicant (an instant candidate) for a senior operator (SO) license should have three years of responsible nuclear power plant experience. A maximum of one year of responsible nuclear power plant experience may be fulfilled by academic or related technical training on a one-for-one basis. At least six months of the responsible nuclear power plant experience should be at the plant for which the instant candidate seeks a license and should not include any of the time spent in the control room as an extra person on shift. The education equivalence and the six months on site may also count toward the three years of responsible nuclear power plant experience. Applicants for an SO position who do not hold a bachelor's degree in engineering or the equivalent should have held an operator's license and should have been actively involved in the performance of licensed duties for at least one year or have at least two years of military experience in a position equivalent to a licensed reactor operator. Eligibility for equipment operators and non-degreed licensed operator instructors to sit for SO examinations will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis."
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:48 »
I am an instant SRO in the middle of my exam and I assure you, I know how to operate the plant. ;)

And I'm sure you'll prove to the NRC that you can operate the plant IAW all the Tech Specs and procedures. That is not what I was talking about. It used to that SRO's "grew up" at the plant and learned from being in the field as NLOs, then as ROs, not from a lesson plan.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:53 »
Don't presume to know my background.

TN_LELT

« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:10 »
First let me thank everyone for the input thus far, I'm learning a lot of good stuff here. 

I do have a couple of questions regarding the NRC regulation posted by DDMurray.  Does Navy experience count as "responsible" nuclear plant experience?  Additionally, it says that an applicant for SRO should have 6 months responsible experience at the platform on which the candidate is applying.  Does this mean that all SRO candidates have to have 6 months of prior commercial utility experience at a platform similar to that which they are applying (i.e. PWR, BWR), or can this requirement be met through an alternate avenue?  I guess what makes me ask this question is that I see Navy guys get out and get instant SRO jobs on occasion, and none of them would have this 6 month experience requirement. 

Next issue at hand, TVA recently posted a listing on their web site for an SRO development position (I believe that this is an SRO class-up) at Browns Ferry.  Because I have the degree and over 3 years of Naval experience, should I try throwing my name in the hat?  I realize that I may be on the minimum end of the qualification spectrum (if I meet it at all, see questions in the previous paragraph), but I would hate to pass up on an opportunity if it is even remotely possible that it could work.  Just like Jim Carrey in "Dumb and Dumber", I'll shoot for that one in a million chance. 

Lastly, I would like to bring back up my original question since this thread seems to be heading off on a bit of a tangent.  Does anyone out there in the great wide world of the nuclear utility community know if TVA will be putting together any NLO classes any time soon? 

Thanks again to those who have responded so far and those who will respond (hopefully) in the future.

g8r2th

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:49 »
I'm going to keep the tangent going with this one.
What about time as an instructor at A-school or Power school? How does that (if at all) convert over to the civilian world? Are there similar positions available?

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:49 »
I'll answer this only because, our plant is currently verifying all the Direct SRO (i.e. Instants) meet the NRC requirements.

1.  Navy experience.  Need two years as EWS/PPWS or EOOW.  This means two years standing the watch.  I know we are requesting a waiver for a guy who doesn't meet that requirement.

2. Six months on site.  At WBN, I was assigned to OPS Support (aka PERgatory) for about 7 months (some guys longer, some guys shorter).  After that we had a "Pre-Systems" class for about 8 weeks, followed by three months rotating on shift completing OJT with the AUOs.  This all counted towards the six months on site.  At other utilities I interviewed at, they pretty much told me I would have to be on site for six months before starting license class.  License class starts when you start preps for GFE.  I just finished GFE Wednesday and I have been on site for 1 year.

3.  At WBN, I don't think we are starting another NLO class for about 18-24 months.  This is not official, but what I was told when I inquired about an NLO position for a former shipmate.

4. For Engineers I don't know the requirements.
T. Roosevelt

TN_LELT

« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2009, 02:28 »
DDMurray, thanks for the clarification on the experience requirements and the information regarding WBN classes.  Is there anyone who can provide any additional remarks with regards to NLO class timetables for SQN or BFN?  Thanks again to those participating in this discussion thread.

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:31 »
SQN may be hiring a class that starts in October. My best guess is the interviews will be this summer.

ranger2

« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:45 »
If you decide you're willing to relocate for an NLO class and you're available in the next 3 months, drop me a line.

Offline anthonyalsup

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:13 »
Last time I checked the requirements, a bachelors in engineering waives all of the EOOW/EWS type requirements for Instant SRO as far as the NRC goes.  What the individual companies are looking for in terms of experience may be a different question.
 I am an AUO at BFN and I do know that they just cancelled an NLO class that was supposed to start in October.  That being said, we are starting to hurt for AUO's again, so I'm betting there will be another class sometime this year.

As far as the instant vs. old school SRO debate, we would always rather have a work-your-way-up SRO.  If you have never done the AUO job, odds are you won't be able to help us when we have a question nor understand us when we have a problem.  Not all instants are bad and not all old schools are good, but at least they know where I'm coming from when I try to talk to them.

FX Engineer

« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2010, 01:10 »
Requirement for military experience for Direct SRO candidates:
  • 2 years or more in position equivalent to reactor operator position at military reactor? (qualified to manipulate or direct the manipulation of control rods)  Propulsion Plant Watch Officer  Engineering Watch Supervisor  Reactor Operator  Engineering Officer of the Watch  Propulsion Plant Watch Supervisor
  • high school diploma or equivalent
  • six months on site

Requirement for Plant Staff Engineer to become direct SRO:
  • bachelor of science degree or equivalent in engineering, engineering technology, or physical sciences; or does candidate have a professional engineer license?
  • 3 YEARS RESPONSIBLE NUCLEAR PLANT EXPERIENCE Plant Staff Engineer Experience (involved in daily activities at the plant in an engineering position considered within the accredited population)  Academic Equivalence (Max. 2 years @ 1:1 basis)
  • 6 months on site

NOTE:  A plant staff engineer is considered to be anyone filling a position that places that individual in the training population of the engineering support personnel accredited training program.

I know licensees can get waivers for the 6 month requirement.  

Edited:  Based on the next comment by BZ it appears that more than a few week waiver is not common.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2010, 03:56 by FX Engineer »

Fermi2

« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2010, 02:31 »
No, the NRC will rarely waive the 6 months. It will waive a week or two but very rarely  the entire amount.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?