Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Which plant has the shortest walk from the contractor parking lot?

Author Topic: Which plant has the shortest walk from the contractor parking lot?  (Read 22586 times)

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
VC Summer was kinda short. Fermi is not that bad either.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
The motorcycle parking at Prairie Island. When I was there you could park your bike right next to the Guard Shack.  No longer a 'plant', Waltz Mill let you park right next to whatever building you were working. :)

vikingfan

cooper is fairly short

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I have only been to 32 plants and the shortest walks were Prairie Island in the 70's (they even had outlets to plug in so your car would start in the sub zero temps) and Vermont Yankee.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
I have only been to 32 plants and the shortest walks were Prairie Island in the 70's (they even had outlets to plug in so your car would start in the sub zero temps) and Vermont Yankee.

VY is now 1/4 mile, due to post 9/11 security mods.

But still not too bad... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
When I was at Kewaunee in 1976 you parked right next to the Turbine building... no idea what it looks llike today.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Limerick is pretty easy....

The Lower Lot is a couple of minutes to the roto gates....

Upper Lot is no more than 5-10 min at most.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Limerick is pretty easy....

The Lower Lot is a couple of minutes to the roto gates....

Upper Lot is no more than 5-10 min at most.
Definitely not how I remember LGS...but I have slept since I was last there, maybe 10 years ago...

Strictly adhering to the topic title, Limerick does fit... it is an easy walk FROM the contractor lot... particularly if you roll down Heart Attack Hill. Going TO the contractor lot is a different story.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

jowlman

Susquehanna's walk is short. Though they don't have a contractor parking lot. Everyone parks first come, first served. They treat their contractors just like their house techs.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Fitzpatrick is like the old days. Park next to the fence and a short walk!
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Shippingport in the mid eighties. They let you park motorcycles under the covered walkway, you got off, took 5 steps and you were in the guard shack.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
One of the things San Onofre does right:  no "contractor" parking lot.  Nor any contractor cafeteria, bathrooms, etc.  Never been treated like second-class citizen.  At night I park in the manager's parking...all OK.

Offline 5kip6

• Light User
  • All's great!
I have to agree can't beat it!    Been going there for a few years now and in and out in 10 min.   
Susquehanna's walk is short. Though they don't have a contractor parking lot. Everyone parks first come, first served. They treat their contractors just like their house techs.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
One of the things San Onofre does right:  no "contractor" parking lot.  Nor any contractor cafeteria, bathrooms, etc.  Never been treated like second-class citizen.  At night I park in the manager's parking...all OK.

Same here at VY   8)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
You mean things aren't like Braidwood everywhere?

raymcginnis

I know that this is about power plants, but at one government site, I parked inside some of the buildings that I was working at.  Now that is close.

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
Have done a couple of outages at Duane Arnold.  While they segregate ONE small parking lot for permanent/long-term contractors, all the parking lots are close to the guard shack, and it seems to move a lot faster than other places I've been. 

Car to shop in less than 5 minutes in most cases.
Also available in SOBER!

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
  • You never know, do you?
In 2002 I worked Monticello and parked up against the fence right next to the secruity access.  If its the same then Monticello was by far the closest I have seen.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be! Dirk Gently

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
 The contractor parking lot here at Monti is now out by the shipping / receiving warehouse, not quite half a mile away.  They are presently expanding it in preparation of their spring EPU outage.  At that point the back parking area will be half a mile out.  Really looking forward to those brisk morning walks in at -20, not counting the wind chill factor. :D But you take the good with the bad, at least it a long term job   :)
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2010, 02:51 by walstib »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

stownsend

I'm not at a plant but I have to walk six feet from my car and climb a cruelling four steps to reach my air conditioned office at BNL. :D

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
The contractor parking lot here at Monti is now out by the shipping / receiving warehouse, not quite half a mile away.  They are presently expanding it in preparation of their spring EPU outage.  At that point the back parking area will be half a mile out.  Really looking forward to those brisk morning walks in at -20, not counting the wind chill factor. :D But you take the good with the bad, at least it a long term job   :)

Can't wait to see how many OSHA recordables occur from that root cause  >:(

stownsend

show off,...I have to walk sixty feet, sweltering summer or bone chilling winter with 7" snowdrifts notwithstanding, and then I have to climb five,...that's right count 'em, five steps!!!!,.....
 :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Would that be uphill both ways?

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Would that be uphill both ways?

And Barefooted?

JavaJoe

Off the top of my head from the places I've worked
  • Oconee - they shuttle you in buses so you park far away
  • Duane Arnold as mentioned above pretty close
  • Prairie Island close
  • Peach Bottom close
  • Hatch - at least a 1/2 mile away, no shuttle
  • CY and Trojan  nevermind already filled with dirt
  • VC Summer close
  • HB Robinson - far
  • Shearon Harris far away
  • Brunswick not too bad
  • Catawba - kind of far but shuttle
  • McGuire - see Catawba
  • Indian Point 3 not bad walk
  • Watts Bar - a bit of a walk

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
DC Cook has a shuttle bus during outages, not too bad of a walk.
During non-outage?  Well, its typical.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 12:00 by Rennhack »

kbaxendale

I guess I got lucky then, when I worked Comanche Peak they gave me a parking sticker for employee parking. It was maybe a one minute walk to security.

Rob143

Pre 9/11 the walk at Peach Bottom would have been on my list.  It isn't bad now but not the good old days anymore.

St Lucie was still a short walk in 2004/05 but no idea what it looks like now.

Susquehanna is a crap shoot. You can catch a spot close to the guard shack or you can end up in the overflow lots. That lot became a disaster area after a respectable snow in 07(?).

tselby

Here at JAF post 9/11 security mods the contractor lot continues to move south and west away from the plant the walk into the guard shack can take upwards of 15min

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?