Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Its Official (unofficially)
honeypot

Author Topic: Its Official (unofficially)  (Read 15584 times)

JustinHEMI05

Its Official (unofficially)
« on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:53 »
It isn't actually official until I get that license in my hand, but considering the chief examiner for my region called to let us know that everyone passed the simulator and JPMs, and I "unofficially" passed the written today... I can say that I am NW's newest SRO.  ;D

B.PRESGROVE

Re: Its Official (unofficially)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:56 »
Alright, Way to go!!!! Congrats and good job on all the hard work!!

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2009, 06:29 »
It isn't actually official until I get that license in my hand, but considering the chief examiner for my region called to let us know that everyone passed the simulator and JPMs, and I "unofficially" passed the written today... I can say that I am NW's newest SRO.  ;D
Congrats!!  I hope to be you in about 18 months.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2009, 06:38 »
Thanks fellas!

DD I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.  :P
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009, 06:53 by JustinHEMI »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2009, 06:49 »
Bravo Zulu, Sea Warrior!!  :P

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2009, 06:53 »
yay I want to be a sea warrior!  8) We had a good laugh about that over the post exam beers today.  :P

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2009, 06:59 »
I especially dig the way-cool Red Chinese surplus camo design, since they used it first. Nothing like looking like a South China Sea Warrior!

As of this week, you are probably the heaviest toad regarding Grid Ops as well !  ;D

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2009, 07:41 »
It has been some interesting reading! Although, I probably should have spent that time reading for my NRC exam.  :P

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2009, 11:13 »
Congrats Justin!  I'm going nuts paying my dues in engineering right now, but hopefully it'll pay off and I can make a similar post in a couple years!

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2009, 11:33 »
Congrats Justin. I told you you'd do ok.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2009, 12:43 »
Thank again folks.

And Mike, thanks for all the help along the way!

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:29 »
aaaahhhh, the muppets, how I miss them.

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:49 »
Congratulations!  Since my next time through won't start until late May, I hope to be you in about 2 years.  :'(

You have to feel as accomplished as you ever will!!

Bill

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2009, 11:19 »
Congratulations!  You are on cloud nine.  Enjoy the euphoria and relax with your family for Christmas.  This time between you completing the class and going on shift will not last long so enjoy it while you have it.

How did the class do on the exam? (Did everyone pass?)
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2009, 11:22 by The Nutty Neutron »

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2009, 11:56 »
BRAVO ZULU!

Great job, Justin!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2009, 03:38 »
Thanks friends.

Yes everyone passed with a 12/13 throughput. We had one guy just not cut it in the simulator, even after his second time through at this plant.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2009, 06:18 »
Im just curious for a short answer, what happens when someone fails out or doesnt cut it in simulator? 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2009, 06:38 »
So the short answer is, it depends. :)

A lot of things go into that. But simply, he has an SRO certification (he passed the audit exam), so he is still useful. He can be an instructor or work in ops support or work management type of roles. That could even get him into a class elsewhere perhaps. If a guy doesn't pass the audit or make it to the audit, if he is an instant, he could be let go OR put into the next EO class, etc. It all depends on when the plant needs. I have heard of both of those cases here. One guy came in as an instant SRO, didn't make it to the audit, so they just put him in as a top rate NLO. Not a bad deal really, because now he is back in class as an RO candidate for next year. If its an NLO going for RO, he would just fall back to NLO... same for an RO upgrade to SRO.

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2009, 06:41 by JustinHEMI »

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2009, 07:24 »
So the short answer is, it depends. :)

A lot of things go into that. But simply, he has an SRO certification (he passed the audit exam), so he is still useful. He can be an instructor or work in ops support or work management type of roles. That could even get him into a class elsewhere perhaps. If a guy doesn't pass the audit or make it to the audit, if he is an instant, he could be let go OR put into the next EO class, etc. It all depends on when the plant needs. I have heard of both of those cases here. One guy came in as an instant SRO, didn't make it to the audit, so they just put him in as a top rate NLO. Not a bad deal really, because now he is back in class as an RO candidate for next year. If its an NLO going for RO, he would just fall back to NLO... same for an RO upgrade to SRO.

I had a very hard time with the simulator at first.  I see lots of things fast but have the engineering mind.  I would think too much about the problems and try to understand what was going on and try to figure out what caused the failure.

I had to learn that it does not matter why the pump tripped, why the instrument is failing, why the controller was behaving the way it was.  I had to react to the casualty and trust my procedures.  I was told that big picture view is a hard thing for engineers to grasp.

I know that once I learned to control the engineer in me, simulator drills became a lot of fun.  The weird thing about it was that it was an overnight transition.  It just seemed to click all at once halfway through the CAS 2 part of class.  I talked to others and they also felt like there was a hump during their time in the program. Once you passed that hump, the class became easy.

Another hard thing I had to get over was getting pissed at myself.  A simple thing would really get me wound up and I would not let it go.  That would make the rest of the drill horrible.

I just took a look at my scores from my NRC Simulator evaluation and lowest simulator score was a 2.6.  I was very happy with how the three drills went.  I left everyone of them thinking that I nailed it.  Even people that suck on the simulator at first can become good at it if you target the problem correctly. 

Sometimes it is not the intelligence that you have to fix but other psychological issues that hammer your performance.  In my case it was learning to not get pissed off and beat myself up or stew over my mistakes.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2009, 08:08 by The Nutty Neutron »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2009, 04:35 »
Yeah I hear that. As to the guy that was dropped though, he was missing something that can't be taught, is really what it comes down to. Besides being able to recognize the symptoms and executing the trips, you still have to have a certain intuition. For example, out of the bazillion alarms alarming, you need to be able have your gut tell you which on is key. But, on top of that, he had the self defeating attitude you mentioned. When he made a mistake, there was no recovery and the last thing you need is a guy melting down in the middle of a scenario.

For my final exam crew, I was put with 2 guys that were just like you, except that they hadn't figured out how to stop thinking like an engineer yet. It became clear real fast why I was put with them. I tend to be pretty aggressive during a scenario and if I see a guy waffling, I don't have a problem grabbing him by the scruff and dragging him through the scenario. By the end of that 2 weeks, those guys stopped trying to out think the scenario and on game day, they brought their A game. Also, my strength is being able to zero in on that one alarm or indication that is really driving the scenario. That allowed me to help them stop over analyzing and react better to what the plant was doing. I was very proud of our performance last week, my team really brought it together when needed and it was a lot of fun doing the exam with them.

Justin

adrianI

« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:54 »

Wouldn't I be the newest considering I finished the exam after you?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:47 »
Except you are new to NW.  8)

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2009, 12:33 »
Aahhh adrian1 he does have a point.  Senority does have its privys.  But Karma to you for passing your test, and Karma to Justin for the same.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:22 »
Well now its official, license came in the mail today.  8)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:49 »
"I'll have to update the N-1 contingency list in SCADA now..."

-oops-

Congrats !  :P

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2009, 01:27 »
Nice Dave, Thanks.  ;D

Steven, if only. They don't give anything cool like that. Just an 8.5x11 sheet of paper... which is getting framed BTW.  ;D

Fermi2

« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:27 »
It's a great feeling isn't it? :)
Region 3 and Region 2 gave us this real nice Plaques with our licenses on them.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:04 »
It is a great feeling Mike! It didn't hit me that I was really done, until I opened that envelop. Looking at pics from license dinners past, it looks like we may get a plaque too, but I won't know until we have the dinner!

Steven, no, its plain paper LOL Maybe a little heavier bond than standard copy paper. :)

Marssim you might be right about that LOL. I am grateful no matter what type of paper its on.  8)
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2009, 05:05 by JustinHEMI »

Offline RFleming

• Very Lite User
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2010, 05:12 »
awesome; hope you have heard officially the good news

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:28 »
Yup we got the licenses on the 4th, they were signed on the 24th of dec.  ;D

M1Ark

« Reply #30 on: Apr 18, 2010, 08:35 »
It's a great feeling isn't it? :)
Region 3 and Region 2 gave us this real nice Plaques with our licenses on them.

Mike

My Region 4 was even better than my Region 2 or 3. ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?