Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Officer student flagged on NAVSCREEN, shrink wants to disqualify me: what to do?

Author Topic: Officer student flagged on NAVSCREEN, shrink wants to disqualify me: what to do?  (Read 6282 times)

nvw

I'm an officer student at NNPTC with a TS/SCI clearance and a GPA over 3.8. Based on the multiple-choice psych test (NAVSCREEN) administered during inprocessing, I was scheduled for an interview with a psychologist. That interview was today. Based on "depressive symptoms," the psychologist said he would probably have to find me unfit for nuclear field duty. This is the exact opposite of everything I've ever been told and everything I've ever read on the subject!

During the interview, I admitted to having used my college's counseling services for most of my junior year, to being unduly hard on myself and feeling more guilty than most people, and (like half the Navy) to having contemplated suicide in the past. I have never attempted nor seriously planned to kill myself, and I do not ever intend to. I have never been diagnosed with any mental illness or received inpatient psychiatric care---and I've spent much more time with mental health professionals than the 20-minute interview I had today! While being investigated for my security clearance, the same issues came up, but did not keep me from getting TS/SCI. I have read MANMED paragraphs 15-103(2)(c) and 15-106(2)(i), as well as the DSM-IV and ICD-10 criteria for depression, and I do not think they apply to me at all.

I am very enthusiastic about both nuclear propulsion and submarine service. I have worked hard for the privilege of being here, and I'm willing to endure almost anything in order to keep that privilege. (Also, I really don't want to be a SWO.) The psychologist has told me he will schedule a follow-up appointment in January after reading my records from my college's counseling services and consulting with people senior to him, but my chances do not look good.

I'm contacting the Navy Legal Service Office for advice in the morning. What else should I be doing?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
First, relax.

Then, go talk to the DOD and then DOS-P. 

They'll have a better idea then anyone on here.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
and (like half the Navy) to having contemplated suicide in the past.

A bit of hyperbole, yes?? That flair for hyperbole may have been seen as delusional by others.

I second GC's advice.

nvw

Thanks. Calming down and using my chain of command sounds like a much better idea than lawyering up right away. Funny how that works out...

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
Yes, Use the chain of command, tell them that you want to be a nuke and ask what are your options.  Wait until you use your chain of command and find out your options before getting a lawyer.  And only get a lawyer at the last resort.  Most decent officers will try to help you out. Take a little time before you make a rash decision, think out all your options.  I was a Army nuke biological chemical officer and mostly dealt with enlisted and their problems. But I think this is good advise.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009, 08:35 by thenukeman »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
 I was a Army nuke biological chemical officer and mostly dealt with enlisted and their problems.

With the famous "no food for YOU!!" tactic?  :P

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
I was thinking about this a little more.  As a Nuclear Officer you need to be in a good frame of mind 24/7.  You are responsible for others to include their lives.  I almost killed myself setting off a Nuke simulator because I got complacent and did not watch the most important parts and trusted my people.  As the Safety Officer I had to be the one to find out why something did not blow up.  It blew up about the time I was about to drive to it to see the problem.  I believe the time fuse was not cut properly.  I then watched them cut off the end  since it may have got moisture in it and then measure it from then on.
I can see the navy thinking about its officer core and its men.  I do not want to put myself in anybodies shoes, but I think for now with issues you have it may be best to put you in a admin job so these can be worked out.  If things work out, maybe let you be a navy nuke.  You have to see this from the Navy point of view too.  I think Lawyering up would not help.  They basically can say for the good of the navy you are not fit.   I do not see how a lawyer can help that.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?