Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Star re-enlist at 2yrs or 3yrs

Poll

how should i go about this situation. Do i look to get out fast or stay in to get more expierience. which will help me more when i get out?

star reenlist at 2yrs
9 (69.2%)
star reenlist at 3yrs
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Star re-enlist at 2yrs or 3yrs  (Read 39507 times)

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Star re-enlist at 2yrs or 3yrs
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:18 »
I agree with the basic meesage in most of the post here. It is not important what point you are at in your naval career. It is more important to wait until you spend time at your first sea command. You would not buy a car without a test drive. Do you think that the Navy changed the rules of STAR to allow shipping over at the 21 month point because it was in the sailor's best interest? No,they did it so that young adults in need of extra cash could do it before they knew all of the facts of navy life at sea and were more willing to sign the papers.
The 21 month requirement has been around since I STAR'ed in 1986.  It was started to allow nukes to re-enlist as soon as they graduated NPTU.  In some ways and cases, it is in the Sailor's best interest to re-enlist early.  While it is true that the percent of nukes that re-enlist zone A is highest in the beginning of the zone A window, there is no sinister plan to trick guys into re-enlisting sooner.  Just like civilian nukes that offer bonuses for ex-navy nukes to sign up for a Direct SRO position, the navy is trying to retain as many qualified (or potentially qualified bodies) as possible.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:44 »
Just like any good NLO staring at the last donut in the box....I'd give the thread a week. He seemed receptive as time went on.  :)

Offline Abiien

• Light User
« Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2010, 12:28 »
Woah woah, I had to comment. You have a 3.65 and you're number 19? I have a 3.65 and I am number 41. How did I get stuck in the smart class?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:07 »
I was number 19 out of my powerschool class, and hope to do as well at prototype in Charleston. I know that mentally i can make it through and go on to qualify in the fleet. My motivaton to do well is there and i like the Navy so far. Im not sure of whether to stay in or get out because of the impact it will have on my career. I had planned on making this my career and using my GI bill to get a bachelors from TESC. I need to do more research on that as well. I believe that the best thing to do is just worry about prototype for now and wait until i get to my boat to do anything in regards to reenlistment. I will wait for about a year or so after i am there to decide. We'll see what happens. If i did reenlist i would hope to be able to come back as an instructor. I had a 3.65 out of NPS and enjoyed helping others, but i know that there is alot more to it than i have have any idea about. Thanks for the help.

can you do me a favor. Can you, for the love of God, please wait until you are a nuke before you start asking about reenlistments. Yes you can make it through the pipeline, but not everyone can hack it in the fleet.  Being married, you need to see how well your wife can stand not seeing you for 7 months.  And you are high out of your mind if you think your GPA is the only thing they look at for NPS instructors.  Last -> the "nuclear engineering technology" degree is next to useless. get a real degree. If you research it, you find that the "Tech" degrees are not accredited the same way as the "engineering" degrees.  EDIT: its better then nothing, but your time is probably better spent elsewhere.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 03:10 by Charlie Murphy »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #29 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:36 »

can you do me a favor. Can you, for the love of God, please wait until you are a nuke before you start asking about reenlistments. Yes you can make it through the pipeline, but not everyone can hack it in the fleet.  Being married, you need to see how well your wife can stand not seeing you for 7 months.  And you are high out of your mind if you think your GPA is the only thing they look at for NPS instructors.  Last -> the "nuclear engineering technology" degree is next to useless. get a real degree. If you research it, you find that the "Tech" degrees are not accredited the same way as the "engineering" degrees.  EDIT: its better then nothing, but your time is probably better spent elsewhere.

1) The post you quoted is nearly a year old.

2) The nuclear engineering technology degree is not useless. VPs of nuclear utilities have the TE degree.

3) Try to stick to what you know when posting, that way I won't smite you. ;)

Samabby

« Reply #30 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:04 »
" I had planned on making this my career and using my GI bill to get a bachelors from TESC. I need to do more research on that as well. "

Yes, do some more research. There are many superior programs out here.  8)

Good luck in Prototype. Get into a good, healthy routine and keep your head on a swivel.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #31 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:27 »

1) The post you quoted is nearly a year old.

2) The nuclear engineering technology degree is not useless. VPs of nuclear utilities have the TE degree.

3) Try to stick to what you know when posting, that way I won't smite you. ;)

Haha, I should really look at the dates more -.-. That said,  I havent heard anything good about the Tech degrees, except to be tie breakers.  They dont use the same accredidation system, so they are looked at differently right?  I was merely suggesting that his time would be better spent getting a "real" degree, no?  

EDIT: seems some of you think Im telling him not to pursue higher education haha. If he has the time to do a real nuclear engineering degree that would be better then getting the TECH degree. thats ALL im saying. If he can get his tech degree while he's in the service, that would be better then sitting around doing nothing. I wish I did that! :)
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 03:30 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:32 »
Haha, I should really look at the dates more -.-. That said,  I havent heard anything good about the Tech degrees, except to be tie breakers.  They dont use the same accredidation system, so they are looked at differently right?  I was merely suggesting that his time would be better spent getting a "real" degree, no?  

EDIT: seems some of you think Im telling him not to pursue higher education haha. If he has the time to do a real nuclear engineering degree that would be better then getting the TECH degree. thats ALL im saying. If he can get his tech degree while he's in the service, that would be better then sitting around doing nothing. I wish I did that! :)

Just for some information, TESC is currently working on getting their ABET Accrediation.  I am working in the pilot class that will allow them to get their accrediation.  Still not a "real" engineering degree, but it is better than what it was.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #33 on: Nov 30, 2010, 12:43 »
Just for some information, TESC is currently working on getting their ABET Accrediation.  I am working in the pilot class that will allow them to get their accrediation.  Still not a "real" engineering degree, but it is better than what it was.

That's good news! Does the accredidation become retroactive or is it "grandfathered"?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2010, 02:59 »
If I understand it correctly, anyone who has completed the TESC degree already can go back and complete the class and get the ABET accrediation "added" to their degree.  Of course you would have to re-enroll and complete the class.  Those who are currently taking classes or will be taking classes later will HAVE to complete the class no matter what. 

co60slr

« Reply #35 on: Nov 30, 2010, 04:04 »
If I understand it correctly, anyone who has completed the TESC degree already can go back and complete the class and get the ABET accrediation "added" to their degree.  Of course you would have to re-enroll and complete the class.  Those who are currently taking classes or will be taking classes later will HAVE to complete the class no matter what. 
You're better off moving on to graduate level work.  SMU accepts the TESC degree and you leave with a full ABET engineering Master's degree.

The people that don't like the TESC degree now are likely to not care if you have "one more class".   Hiring managers can still chose to accept your resume or throw it in the trash.

Co58

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #36 on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:57 »
" I had planned on making this my career and using my GI bill to get a bachelors from TESC. I need to do more research on that as well. "

Try not to use the GI bill while in the navy, especially at TESC. Use TA as much as possible, it covers the classes and leaves the GI bill free for when you get out.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #37 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:10 »
You're better off moving on to graduate level work.  SMU accepts the TESC degree and you leave with a full ABET engineering Master's degree.

The people that don't like the TESC degree now are likely to not care if you have "one more class".   Hiring managers can still chose to accept your resume or throw it in the trash.

Co58

Yea I probably wouldn't have gone back and done it.  They asked me to participate in the pilot for free so I figured why not.  Basically it is one really big research paper that you work on with a group.  We are discussing the differences between PWRs and BWRs.  I think the other group is discussing the Boric Acid incident at Davis Besse. 

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #38 on: Dec 01, 2010, 12:29 »
Try not to use the GI bill while in the navy, especially at TESC. Use TA as much as possible, it covers the classes and leaves the GI bill free for when you get out.

Note that if you are an officer, using TA incurs an additional service obligation.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #39 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:35 »
I did forget about the added obligation for officers. I think it's two years after the completion of the course.

Offline Rock Chalk Jayhawk

• Light User
  • Stay positive, and love your life!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:13 »
I re-enlisted at my 2yr-3mo point (6 yrs).  My Zone B re-enlistment was at my 6yr-4mo point (4yrs). That put me finishing shore duty with about 8 months left until EAOS...okay, I routed a 1306 to match my PRD and EAOS...voila!  My detailer told me they'd approve the 1306, and if I wanted to re-enlist anyway instead of go commercial (job market depending), they'd buy off on that, too. I also know that if something goes on in commercial that makes me wish for the boat  ??? (in the next 5 yrs), I can always go to a recruiting station, fill out my RE-enlistment paperwork, wait for the prior service waiver approval  [whistle], then collect my big fat ESRP bonus (up to 100K ROFL right now) and be back to a sea command in a month, getting into requals (with no rank lost, at that). [salute]

Makes it easy to see why I voted for the 2 yr option, eh? [kool]

Good luck,

Rock Chalk
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2010, 11:15 by Rock Chalk Jayhawk »
"A shortcut's a self defeating means.  If you cannot do it clean, you'll never reach your reward. And when the day is done, what you receive is the sum of what you took out from what you put in." ~311

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #41 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:50 »
Haha, I should really look at the dates more -.-

I just pooped out a 3.56 instead of 3.79 on an Exam cause I described the wrong motor thanks to my lack of attention.

Stupid Me.

Thankfully I can learn from my mistake so I don't end up jacking something up that matters.
;)

[2months left ... (no. 22 / 396)]
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2010, 06:57 by Jechtm »
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #42 on: Dec 07, 2010, 11:18 »
I just pooped out a 3.56 instead of 3.79 on an Exam cause I described the wrong motor thanks to my lack of attention.

Stupid Me.

Thankfully I can learn from my mistake so I don't end up jacking something up that matters.
;)

[2months left ... (no. 22 / 396)]

*cough. You much more then 2 months left nooby ;)   Do me a favor, have this same attitude when you get to your ship :D  (Im being serious)

allow me to rephrase for clarification... -> "you seem like you have a good attitude, and are doing well. Keep it up, and do the same when you get to your ship. Also, you have prototype after power school so don't get cocky with "2months" left! Prototype is just as hard, and its worse when you get to the fleet."

better?
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2010, 07:45 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #43 on: Dec 10, 2010, 03:35 »
*cough. You much more then 2 months left nooby ;)   Do me a favor, have this same attitude when you get to your ship :D  (Im being serious)

allow me to rephrase for clarification... -> "you seem like you have a good attitude, and are doing well. Keep it up, and do the same when you get to your ship. Also, you have prototype after power school so don't get cocky with "2months" left! Prototype is just as hard, and its worse when you get to the fleet."

better?

Yeah.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #44 on: Apr 22, 2012, 08:54 »
Now that I'm done with this whole pipeline thing, I am on the same career decision path as the OP. I think I won't reenlist because I don't see myself staying in for very long. Oddly enough my wife wants me to... anywho, I'd like to find out what the OP decided to do.

Got orders to the Missouri, SSN 780. Should be there sometime in June.
The money does sound fantastic... but six years from now I'll be 32, and like to be in my career by then.

~Mike

PS. Elt watchstation > MO watchstation.
So much independence... <3

~Bruce Lee

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #45 on: Apr 23, 2012, 08:47 »
Now that I'm done with this whole pipeline thing, I am on the same career decision path as the OP. I think I won't reenlist because I don't see myself staying in for very long. Oddly enough my wife wants me to... anywho, I'd like to find out what the OP decided to do.

Got orders to the Missouri, SSN 780. Should be there sometime in June.
The money does sound fantastic... but six years from now I'll be 32, and like to be in my career by then.

~Mike

PS. Elt watchstation > MO watchstation.
So much independence... <3

Lol. He hasn't been on the site in 2 years. He probably reenlisted for the 90k bonus, but if he didnt, he's finishing up soon and can give you advice either way.

and "P.S."  ELT's stand "MO" watches ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?