Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 8 months from retirement...

Author Topic: 8 months from retirement...  (Read 7913 times)

NavynukeMM1

8 months from retirement...
« on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:34 »
I am due to retire/transition from the Navy this summer. I know some people that have gotten jobs as operators and they seem to really love it. My question is, what other "entry level" type jobs are out there? I will have done 20 years on 3 different Carriers, qualified PPWS onboard Enterprise (the Navy's most complex platform), worked in QA/Planning for the last 4 years, and also have managed (LPO) one of the largest production shops at SIMA/MARMC and was cited for increasing productivity and reducing costs and civilian overtime.

Ops sounds like the best financial fit for me, but are there other jobs that will pay similarly (I've been told to expect ~$80K/yr as a NLO, is that correct?).

Fermi2

Re: 8 months from retirement...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:40 »
With OT more than 80K. During training probably closer to 60 to 70K. At least while in the classroom.

NavynukeMM1

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:02 »
The greatest thing I learned while in the navy (and nuclear field specifically) was to use the tools I was given to figure out stuff for myself.  Then AFTER I had spent time in my own investigations, I would ask a succint question.  Good luck to you, and congrats on finishing up your naval career.  

If you are implying that I should have researched more prior to asking this question, then care to explain the purpose of this Forum? I have done research and can't find a list of entry level jobs for nuclear plants outside of a NLO in OPS. If in fact your goal was to "bash" me for asking questions, then I am sure many of your "young, impressionable adults" that you were in charge of really turned into quality sailors.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:54 »
If you are implying that I should have researched more prior to asking this question, then care to explain the purpose of this Forum? I have done research and can't find a list of entry level jobs for nuclear plants outside of a NLO in OPS. If in fact your goal was to "bash" me for asking questions, then I am sure many of your "young, impressionable adults" that you were in charge of really turned into quality sailors.

You didn't research well enough son. It's all over this website. You've not accomplished anything yet in the nuclear world. It's YOUR future. Try learning some research skills. In real life nothing is handed to you like it is in the Navy.

NavynukeMM1

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:18 »
Silly me, I thought the whole point of this forum was to share knowledge. Apparently, it's the Nuclear Navy on steroids. It appears to be nothing more than a game to see who can bash people for posting first.

And as for "In real life nothing is handed to you like it is in the Navy.", that may or may not apply to people based on their personal experiences. I for one was never handed anything. I've worked for all the knowledge and experience I have gained over the last 19 1/2 years. I have no desire to get into a d!*k measuring contest with anyone here, I simply just would like a little respect. I may not be experienced in the civilian sector, and haven't earned the respect there but my OP was in the "Getting Out" subforum of the Navy section. It was moved by a moderator because it apparently fits the "Career Path" forum better.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:30 »
You're a TBaller. Your asking for respect is the same as a kid winning the MVP in his flag football league then trying to tell Peyton Manning how to play Quarterback.
What you've asked has been covered 568768789089 times before. In the real world information isn't spoon fed to you like it is in the T Ball Leagues. I was even nice and gave you an answer. The second someone didn't spoon feed you, you whined. You earn respect son, it's not granted to you, especially when you get out in the Big Leagues.

Mike

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:57 »
I have done research and can't find a list of entry level jobs for nuclear plants outside of a NLO in OPS.

You've been here since March, and that's all you have learned?? 19.5 yrs and still MM1, I can see why...

So here goes:

Entry-level Chem Techs and Rad Protection are generally posted on the company website. No ELT experience or 4 yr chem degree with lots of experience, don't bother.

Entry-level Trades such as welders, carpenters, rigging etc. need a Journeyman card or come through the union hall.

Entry-level QA....doubt you will see those advertised. Usually company internal hires from the trades.

Entry-level Work Week Planner/Scheduler... got years of SAP and P6 experience on your resume?

The most likely way for someone leaving the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program into in-house employment at a civilian power plant is NLO. The other possibilities either have too small a macroscopic cross-section for absorption, or don't meet the salary needs as you stated in your earlier posts. Or you could try one of the fine advertisers on the front page of Nukeworker, and try your chances that way.

NavynukeMM1

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:36 »
@HydroDave63: I appreciate the answer to my OP. All I was asking was what other entry level jobs, if any, were available. However, I am glad I wasn't disappointed in the fact that once again someone had to take a low road and insult me BEFORE answering. BZ! Hope you sleep well at night knowing your are a tool.
For your information, I didn't make above MM1 because I had to take personal time off from my Navy career when my wife was diagnosed with cancer. I was still Active, but was not in a billet to enhance my career and didn't get the evals out of it to help any either. Family took precedent to me, and I paid the price. I'd never change a thing with the decision that had to be made and don't regret not making Chief. I am sure if I were to, I would have been "forced" to associated with other tools. I've met my fair share of good Khaki's in the Navy, but they were few and far between. Most, like yourself I am sure, fell into the tool category and got there by collecting "souls" of those you used and tossed aside on your march up the food chain. I've been told that civilian plants are looking for long term commitments from potential employees. If I wind up working for people like you and your fellow bashers, I would have no regrets jumping ship and going to another career. I can survive on less than I make now, so money isn't the ONLY driving force.

@Broadzilla: pretty much the same as I just stated to HydroDave63, except you NEVER answered the OP. You just acknowledged the pay statement. The question wasn't about pay. If you can't read an entire post and ignore it if it's redundant to you, then why not just simply state that it's been answered without all the BS? Thanks DOUCHE!

I have solid connections in the civilian community, but just wanted a more general opinion and thought this board would be full of constructive information. I'm going to take my tball bat and go. Peace out BITCHES!

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2009, 11:32 »
Great job gentlemen, (and I use that term in the LOOSEST possible terms) just over 4 hours from original post to driven from the forum!  

I realize that this is just rehashing something that y'all already know, but it appears that it's been temporarily forgotten.  When all of you signed up you agreed to the forum rules, one of which is Rule #4- Please learn to be respectful, tolerate and support each other.  NukeWorker.com's goal is to help others, not see how many people we can annoy. Do not initiate arguments or tension. This will only cause the triggering of other members and make this site less professional.

What we all bring is experience in one form or another.  The collective intelligence her is only matched by the spirit of giving, support, and mentoring; most of the time.  There is not one among us who knew then what we now know.  It is our responsibility to pass that knowledge on, not to run those off seeking an answer to their questions.  

If you can't pass along a helpful link, could you please not take the opportunity to do some personal ego stroking and jumping on the new guy or gal?  If you are so knowledgeable, prove it by sharing some of that knowledge.  Encourage the search, point to a forums FAQ's, maybe even pass out 1 or 2 warm fuzzies and give the new person a chance to prove themselves with their next question.  

By the same token, if you are just joining the forum please take the time to look around and see if your question(s) may have already been answered.  If it hasn't been completely answered, go ahead and ask it.  If you need some clarification on an already answered question, feel free to ask for it.  Thanks in advance & Welcome to Nukeworker!

For any who think I'm only talking to those who posted in this thread, please consider yourselves mistaken.  I'm posting to address this thread and the trend that it reflects.

This thread is locked and if anyone has any questions send me a PM.  It's time for a little sleep.  

Peace y'all,
Tom
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2009, 11:45 by Nuclear NASCAR »
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?