Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuke Positions for Females

Author Topic: Navy Nuke Positions for Females  (Read 12817 times)

Offline ashley027

• Lurker
Navy Nuke Positions for Females
« on: Jan 02, 2010, 05:57 »
I've been going through a LONG procedure to become a Navy Nuke. I've started everything since April 2009. I took the ASVAB and NAPT and passed them. Then I got my waivers passed as well. I've been waiting since October to finally sign the contract. The thing is I have to wait until there's a female slot for Nuke. How often are there open slots for females in the Nuke Program? I've heard that there are hardly any female Nukes, so does anyone have an idea about how long I would have to wait to sign the contract? Also, I've been told that I would ship out around August 2010, but nobody's completely sure about that either. I'm asking here on this forum since I have never kept in touch with a Nuke coordinator. I don't think I've ever seen him drop by the recruiting office.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Navy Nuke Positions for Females
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:18 »
Welcome to NukeWorker.  Thanks for giving consideration to serving.  Sadly, there are fewer slots for women to be nukes because a large percentage (not as large as it used to be) of nukes go to subs and there are no more nuclear cruisers in the fleet.  But, there are still many carriers out there where you can serve.  This was not always the case.  When I graduated the nuke pipeline, my class wa the last to have women for nearly a decade because women weren't allowed on any combatant ships.  The existing population of women nukes had taken up so many shore and sub-tender billets that rotation to shore duty for men was almost impossible without re-enlisting.  This actually hurt retention.  Though many men did ship over to get shore duty, many did 6 and out because they faced a prospect of 5 years at sea for every 2 on shore.
I guess I'm giving you this history lesson in order to place in perspective how much things have improved for women nukes.  That is, if you can call going to sea on an aircraft carrier an improvement.  I was a submariner, and I don't think I could have stood life on one of those things.
Keep bugging that recruiter.  Just don't sign any contract that does not contain what you want it to contain.  Many a sailor has signed for less than they were expecting- based on the recruiter's assurances that "you can sign now, and get your nuke papers later" or something to that effect.  It's a bait and switch tactic that many recruiters are not above using.  It might be hard to wait, but the wait will be justified if you get the contract that you want.
Good luck.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2010, 02:01 »
I'm asking here on this forum since I have never kept in touch with a Nuke coordinator. I don't think I've ever seen him drop by the recruiting office.

Have you tried asking your recruiter for their number? I seem to recall speaking with mine when a question came up that my recruiter couldn't answer and it was no big deal.

I'm sure you could also try to find a phone number for your regions MEPS to try to get in contact with the Nuke recruiter as well. I'm not 100% sure, but I remember mine having an office down in MEPS where I spoke with her personally while getting my paperwork ready.

I know that I'm not being truly helpful, but don't be afraid to ask people for help/guidance when its your life that is being affected. If your recruiter (for whatever reason) is unwilling to help you, let him know that you are willing to find one who is. Getting you enlisted is something he has a vested interest in, so if you need to get his attention, don't be afraid to do so. There's someone who will help you out there.

aydansmom

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2010, 06:22 »
Hello.
I signed for NF in April 2009 and got a date for April 2010. It all really depends on which region you are coming out of. I ended up getting out of dep and will go to meps this week. Now i leave in 6 weeks because another female dropped. You should get in touch with the nuke coordinator... they are only ones who know anything about NF. I contacted mine personally and he let me know of earlier spots.

Hope this helps :)

Neutron_Dodger

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:52 »
I'm not sure about challenges for females to enter the nuke Navy...my not being female and all.  It is very common for a recruiter to have VERY limited information on the nuke program.  Highly recommend you follow previous advice to contact nuke recuiter.  Just tell your recruiter that you have a nuke question.  :)  It is very possible that it is a simple solution.

donnac78

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:51 »
When I came in about 10 yrs ago it was a year long wait before I was able to leave and do not sign anything until you are satisfied that it is exactly what you want.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?