Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Likelihood of being accepted to USNA out of nuke pipeline
honeypot

Author Topic: Likelihood of being accepted to USNA out of nuke pipeline  (Read 16694 times)

PotentialNuke

Eventually I hope to be an officer in the navy, and have been looking into various programs to do such. One of them was one that accepts I believe 176 enlisted personnnel to go to the USNA. If anyone knows of this happening to anybody that they know or themself, I would greatly appreciate all help. I did not have the greatest grades, and had to write a paper asking the navy to grant me the opportunity for nuke, and it happened, so I don't know if that will have any effect on me being selected or not. I would also like to know how one would best put themself in a position to be accepted out of the nuke pipeline. I thank you for your answers, and am sorry for some of my previous retorts regarding prior postings.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
Re: Likelihood of being accepted to USNA out of nuke pipeline
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2010, 10:58 »
Eventually I hope to be an officer in the navy, and have been looking into various programs to do such. One of them was one that accepts I believe 176 enlisted personnnel to go to the USNA. If anyone knows of this happening to anybody that they know or themself, I would greatly appreciate all help. I did not have the greatest grades, and had to write a paper asking the navy to grant me the opportunity for nuke, and it happened, so I don't know if that will have any effect on me being selected or not. I would also like to know how one would best put themself in a position to be accepted out of the nuke pipeline. I thank you for your answers, and am sorry for some of my previous retorts regarding prior postings.

Check out this post, specifically what BeerCourt had to say.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,22549.msg117577/topicseen.html#new

It's not identical to what you want, but the underlying principles are the same.

I know the program had existed, but I don't personally know anyone who's been picked up for it.  I know people who went to the academy, failed out and paid back their commitment to Uncle Sam by being enlisted nukes though.

Basically, don't enlist as a way to become an officer.  If you want to be an officer, go to college first.  There are some programs out there (NUPOC) where they'll pay for school with you paying them back with some time in the Navy.  I think you have to wait until after your freshman year for that though.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from officer programs, but if you enlist with the intent up getting picked up for officer and don't you're going to be a bitter, bitter Sailor for the rest of your time.
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Golly Orby

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2010, 11:17 »
Three of my classmates applied this year (that I was aware of), and all three were accepted.  However, academy standards are pretty strict.  They let you know right away what kind of person they are looking for.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:39 »
Your best bet to get into the USNA is through your local senator/congressman.  I have seen nuke school students picked up for the USNA and I have seen an MM2 on the SSN 23 get selected for USNA (our CO at the time was a USNA grad and more or less solicited the crew for applicants).  If you join the navy as enlisted as a means to get into the USNA, then you are setting yourself up for some disappointment.  I've seen many bitter nukes who were "promised" officer programs via NNPP.  Some do get selected, but many had poor academic perfromance  prior to the navy and didn't have enough time as enlisted to show they were had changed their ways.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

PotentialNuke

« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2010, 01:36 »
I am fine being enlisted if the officer attempt fails at first, but eventually I will be an officer. Just not the route I wish. But hey, that's life. Thank you for your input.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2010, 02:13 »
Just remember Life Is What Happens To You While You're Busy Making Other Plans and you'll do ok. Mine certainly didn't follow the path I thought it would but it's worked out dang sporty if you ask me!

PotentialNuke

« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2010, 03:25 »
Thank you BZ. Whatever happens, happens.

jowlman

« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2010, 12:51 »
You say that you really want to be an officer, you do not say that you really want to be a nuke. If that is the case, I'll offer another option. Some states offer all members of any branch of the reserves or National Guard free tution. If this is the case in your state, you could sign up for a reserve hitch. Get you college degree and a little extra spending cash. Then enlist as an officer with your degree finished.

Neutron_Dodger

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:33 »
I had one buddy get picked up USNA from our class at NNPTC.  Another of my buddies that I served with did the same thing (I met him after the fact).  Your grades are going to be tough.  You're better off to do STA-21.  That's what I did and I had failed out of college previously (like half of my nuke classmates).  STA-21 is an even better deal than USNA unless you just have a desire for the coveted ring.

If you send me your contact info I can put you in contact with an enlisted-to-academy guy.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:09 »
STA-21 is an even better deal than USNA unless you just have a desire for the coveted ring.

That ring is a very good door knocker, depending on what doors you want to open.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:25 »
That ring is a very good door knocker, depending on what doors you want to open.

The Naval Academy......

Not a great place to be.....

But a great place to be from!
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Neutron_Dodger

« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2010, 01:28 »

The Naval Academy......

Not a great place to be.....

But a great place to be from!

Admittedly, there may be a little jealousy in my comments...just look at the service pics of Flag Officers... mostly rings.  The fact remains... many roads to commissioning.

nukewood

« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:18 »
Not to be discouraging, but if your grades in high school were not above average you will probably not be considered. I was appointed to class of 71, USAFA, with  A- high school GPA. I struggled with straight C's at the Academy.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2010, 06:40 »
Firstly, have you checked the requirements to get an appointment to the USNA?

If your grades are poor and your ultimate goal is USNA at all costs, then enlisting could help your cause IF you are an outstanding Sailor. However, enlisting as a nuke for 6 years active duty will put you close to the age limit if not over for USNA appointment, and with your high school grades it's extremely unlikely you'll get an appointment while in the training pipeline. You also cannot have any dependents at the time you apply, and competition is extremely fierce. It was said before, but it's worth repeating: if you enlist, you had better be prepared to serve your full commitment as an enlisted Sailor and concentrate your energy on your job as such.

If your goal is officer, I recommend going to college, getting A's and participating in extra-curriculars you like, and applying for a NROTC or doing BDCP/NUPOC (they are the same program essentially, but the application process is slightly different... NUPOC is for nukes specifically, while BDCP is offered for various other designators). BDCP or NUPOC are the best deals in the Navy...collect E3 (BDCP) or E6 (NUPOC) salary + BAH for up to two years while attending school and having no military responsibility aside from keeping up your grades and keeping your nose clean. Oh, and the time counts as active duty time toward pay. They are very competitive programs, though, so like I said...get A's.

Your commissioning source isn't going to mean much in your career as an officer, so if you want to go to USNA because you think it'll give you a "leg up," think again.

Best of luck.

Admittedly, there may be a little jealousy in my comments...just look at the service pics of Flag Officers... mostly rings.
The whole commissioning pipeline worked a bit differently before the '70s or '80s, and those are the people who are flag officers today. I think as time goes by, you'll see a higher percentage of non-USNA flag officers.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2010, 07:51 by spekkio »

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:44 »

Your commissioning source isn't going to mean much in your career as an officer, so if you want to go to USNA because you think it'll give you a "leg up," think again.

I can speak first hand that there is still an advantage for USNA graduates.  I know personally of an Ensign with less than a year in Navy and no sea time with 2 NAM's already.  I have no knowledge of how this person got the first one but the second one was for working on a UAV guidance system. Not to mention while working on this UAV system this person also got their Master's Degree. I commissioned the same time as this person and I have yet to see the opportunities this person has. I have yet to hear of an STA-21, OCS or NUPOC source Officer that has had the chance to do this type of stuff this early in their career. If I said I wasn't a little jealous I'd be lying.   :)  I know this isn't the case for all USNA graduates but the advantage still exists.
A

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:15 »
Good for him on the nams. I'm sure it'll mean a lot for the O-2 promotion boards to go along with their MUC  :P.

An OCS classmate of mine, intel type, got a nam 3 months after commissioning. I don't know the details, but it really wasn't anything huge. An instructor at NNPS, STA-21, had 5 or 6 nams all obtained in his JO tour. The PXO, an AOCS grad, had a whopping 3 total. USNA types aren't the only ones to get this kind of stuff, and it seems pretty meaningless as far as advancement goes.

current XO, CO...STA-21 types.

CO of NNPS: not USNA, XO is though.

Point being is that you don't need to be from USNA to go far.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2010, 09:41 by spekkio »

co60slr

« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2010, 05:19 »
Point being is that you don't need to be from USNA to go far.
...it's what you do along the way.

College degrees are pieces of paper.
Job Titles make for nice name tags.
NAMs make for nice "chest candy" that feed your Ego.
(Plenty of E-3s have more NAMs than your O-2)

However, what you DO in those roles...regardless if you're an E-3, O-3, or O-6, is what the promotion boards like to read about!   Then, guess what happens when you transfer to your next command with that shiny new medal?  You start over...working for the coveted "Early Promote" on your fitrep, which is perhaps more important than a NAM.

Also keep in mind that your commissioning source and your degree will follow you forever as somewhat of an indicator of what you have the potential to do for the Navy.   (Insert your USNA grad argument here).  However, a 4.0 GPA from MIT "might" carry more weight than your 3.0 GPA from the USNA.   Sometimes, you just never know what they're looking for.  Again...so what that you went to the USNA...what did you DO while you were there?

I never met a Flag Officer that planned on being in that rank the first day they were commissioned.  Enlisting or Commissioned?  You work hard along the way, you celebrate your successes but then quickly regroup for the next challenge.  It's never ending.  If you stop to stare at your shiny gold class ring too long, or your NAM...someone may just pass you in the fast lane.

Co60

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2010, 06:43 »
I should note one caveat: The ONLY way to guaruntee an officer designator is to commission through OCS. USNA and NROTC get preference sheets, but it's all up to the needs of the Navy.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:46 »
However, a 4.0 GPA from MIT "might" carry more weight than your 3.0 GPA from the USNA.   

Eveybody knows that MIT grades on a 5.0 scale   :P
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?