2 (16.7%)
Start New Career in Operations
8 (66.7%)
Stay in outages and hope for better options later
0 (0%)
Quit the Nuclear field all together
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Working Outages or Learner Operations  (Read 4035 times)

Offline jwreezy1

• Light User
Working Outages or Learner Operations
« on: Jan 03, 2010, 12:32 »
I currently work for a leading company in the service sector of the Nuclear field. I would like to come off the road, but I enjoy the fact that my job is different everyday. Since I don't know what the Operations side of things includes, I'm not sure if I want to accept it and then come to hate it later. I make decent money and this transition would cause about a 30% pay cut at first. Any suggestions or experienced advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Content1

Re: Working Outages or Learner Operations
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2010, 03:57 »
Get free any way you can.   I have met plenty of people on the road who work 20+ years and have nothing to show for it.   You can't have a family on the road if you wish to be involved with your children's lives.   There is a reason why most nuclears training sites for contractions have the handwritten warning scralled on the wall: "Abandon all hope all ye who enter herein!"

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:56 »
I currently work for a leading company in the service sector of the Nuclear field. I would like to come off the road, but I enjoy the fact that my job is different everyday. Since I don't know what the Operations side of things includes, I'm not sure if I want to accept it and then come to hate it later. I make decent money and this transition would cause about a 30% pay cut at first. Any suggestions or experienced advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Are you burning the bridge with the 'leading company' if you take the operations job?  

I've tried several different house jobs over the years and it seemed like there was always a good road job waiting when (not "if"!) I got bored.  The same can't always be said for the house jobs, so if you see one that interests you, I recommend grabbing it...especially if you could get your position with the 'leading company' back...
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2010, 07:10 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline jwreezy1

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2010, 09:26 »
Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up taking the Operations job and coming off of the road. I think in the long run I will have a better career and more importantly, a happier wife. Thanks again for all of the advice. I can't wait to start and work my way up the ladder.

Content1

« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2010, 10:51 »
Way to go, good choice, you will love getting to know an area again.   The only reason to be on the road is because it use to pay well.  I have been a house tech for almost 9 months and we are shifting into 42 hours/week 12's, that is 3 on, 4 off and 4 on, 3 off with a gross income at that point of 80K/year plus 6500/matching 401K plus full medical as a senior RCT.   With the reducing hours I got on the road, I was making 1/2 that per year when I left with no benefits.  Being stable at one job will look good on a resume too.   The road kind of sucks nowadays, too iffy for my blood without sufficient green to make it worthwhile.    Gauntlet is hereby tossed if someone disagrees.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2010, 08:10 »
Congratulations on your new career in Operations!!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2010, 02:24 »
Congratulations!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2010, 04:51 »
Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up taking the Operations job and coming off of the road. I think in the long run I will have a better career and more importantly, a happier wife. Thanks again for all of the advice. I can't wait to start and work my way up the ladder.

Congrats!

One thing to keep in mind:  after the honeymoon, there will come a time when you hate operations & are sure you want to go back on the road.  Give the house job several more months after this, because it will get better and you may (or may not) end up loving the work...and the road will always be there if you decide house isn't for you.

modified for spelling
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2013, 09:58 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?