Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu better Resume responce

Author Topic: better Resume responce  (Read 11746 times)

cef

better Resume responce
« on: Jan 04, 2010, 05:51 »
 I know of many good techs that never get a responce to their Resumes. I hope this information helps and I ask others to offer their input.

Most Human Resource groups use an automated resume review program. When you respond with your cover letter and resume qualifications make an attempt to mirror what they are asking for. If they are asking for a RP Tech or radiation and safety technician, or RST use the same description in your resume. The Word search programs will not be able to determin if you meet the requirements if it is not an identical match.
 Use Microsoft word attachment file as the first option unless another program is requested.
 The use of email in an email format should be your last choice for sending your resume.
Each email provider can an some times does use a different format. Your resume looks great on your screen and looks like heck when it is received.
 When all else fails when you are hunting for a job find or call some one at the company that can tell you were to send you resume to. This may be the extream But the squeaky wheel still gets oiled. For any of you that can't seam to get Human resources to respond at FPL Turkey Point Site. Call the HP office and I will be glad to tell you  who to send your Resume to.
There are 2 House jobs open and others comming open. Respirator qualification, good back, ladders and Fire Brigade is a requirement.
PS Check your spelling.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: better Resume responce
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:12 »
PS Check your spelling.

Yes. Spelling, grammar and punctuation are important.

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:53 »
Ironic he says check your spelling in a post where EXTREME, SEEM, DETERMINE and COMING are spelled incorrectly.

BTW no, most utilities do not utilize automated resume RESPONSE. MOst send all resumes to the work sites for review.

Mike

cef

« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:48 »

Spell check can fail you, it failed me! Thats my point, have a friend proof read your resume. 

dis wernt no resuuumee fer a dag gone job gosh iannt had no job that BuBBa an't got fer me afor dis.

stownsend

« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:09 »
I know of many good techs that never get a responce to their Resumes. I hope this information helps and I ask others to offer their input.

By the way, thanks for trying to help.

Content1

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:09 »
Unless you have a contact person who you can follow up your resume' with, you never know what happens.   I worked at a law firm once and saw the review process manually.  The secretaries looked first for any misspelling and simply tossed those resumes out.   I think it is not wise, some poor workers could be good spellers.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:12 »
Unless you have a contact person who you can follow up your resume' with, you never know what happens.   I worked at a law firm once and saw the review process manually.  The secretaries looked first for any misspelling and simply tossed those resumes out.   I think it is not wise, some poor workers could be good spellers.

Poor spelling is nothing more than a lack of attention to detail and laziness. While it may be acceptable for informal communications between friends, it is certainly not acceptable for a resume where you are trying to impress a potential employer. Tossing out resumes that have spelling errors is not an indictment of the spelling, but of the lack of effort on display by the submitter. Everyone has access to a dictionary, usually at their fingertips since probably 99% of resumes today are word processed. If you can't make the effort to spell check, how can you expect an employer to believe you will make the effort to do your job in a competent manner? Using spelling as a pre-filter is an excellent idea. As for the 'poor worker/good speller' concept, are you assuming that good spelling alone will get you the job? That would be a bad idea.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

cef

« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:18 »
 A better resume... Back on track  I thank all of you all for your input. I hope others will contribute to this post.  I have left the post as is to show how critical others can be. I have seen others at round tables resume reviews cut and bleed good techs. Your Email, your resume will not show your body language or your tone of voice but it can miss represent your attitude your education. I find this true in emails and post. Your work ethic and performance will be a great attribute when you have someone at the site putting their reputation on line for you. You may want to have a friend inquire about your resume after it is sent. It doesn't matter  how good you say you are the history you have has all ready been created! I have hired techs that did some crazy things that made them tech#1 and tech#2  many years ago. But I still remember the old stuff and it takes a while creating a new history before I can say that was then, he's not like that now. I have hired and recommended techs that are great at what they do (High Contamination Locked High Radiation Area job coverage) and have very little formal training. But I can depend on them and they receive instruction well I also wouldn't let them work a release point.  Please don't respond to my Post about what or who or why about me. Respond in a form to help the people that don't have jobs and have families to care for.   Those you help may be the one's that help you.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:21 »
I'm also a big fan of having several of your peers review a resume, with at least one of them being someone who isn't in the field.  That outside viewpoint tends to help out when you're submitting a technical resume.

A lot of times they'll catch things that you won't, since you knew what you were trying to say...  Even if you didn't say it right.

I think I had 5 or 10 people go over my resume before I felt comfortable submitting it for a job.

As far as the accomplishments listed on a resume, I was always told that if I couldn't back it up in numbers or with a reference then don't use it.
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:40 »
There is some good general advice in there, but keep in mind that you really need to do some research on the company you are applying to. As stated in an earlier post, utilities don't generally use a automated, mass resume screener. Some companies do however. Make some phone calls and try to feel out their system if possible. If it is a nuke utility, take a look at your network and see if there is some kind of 8 degree's to Kevin Bacon deal there where you could get info.

At the utility I work for, HR does a word association exercise to qualify potential candidates. If you don't have ANSI 3.1 on your resume, you will never make it past the screeners. It is done by humans, but with the same basic process limitations you mentioned. So it can be a hurdle in our industry as well and your point is valid I think.

I always appreciate threads with good intentions, and this is one of them, so thanks. I am however, LMAO at the spelling! More so because of the subject matter of trying to get a quality resume noticed. Too funny!

I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

cef

« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:16 »
I was hoping some one might offer up a resume service. I have learned much from this post.
A few misspelled words  can mean so much to so many. The point is well taken. I have never in 20 years placed ANSI 3.1 on my resume. Something so obvious can be overlooked.  Like I said  in helping others you may end up helping yourself. Thanks to every one that has responded to this post. I am looking forward to additional post.  I'm sorry I don't know what LMAO means,I couldn't find it in any dictionary or word spell check. Thanks for your great input.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2010, 12:39 by Florida Boy »

ld5030

« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2010, 03:36 »
Ole Florida Boy...

LMAO is Internet talk for Laughing my ass butt off.  :)
Ask your kids...lol (lots of love). ooops I mean laugh out loud!

Hope I didn't make a mistake in speeling. LD

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:33 »
Ironic he says check your spelling in a post where EXTREME, SEEM, DETERMINE and COMING are spelled incorrectly.

BTW no, most utilities do not utilize automated resume RESPONSE. MOst send all resumes to the work sites for review.

Mike

But, some DO...and several of the major DOE contractors DO.  

If you write your resume based on the assumption that it MAY be screened by an computer, or an HR nub looking for specific phrases, you are safe, even if it doesn't happen.  If you do NOT play their game, you are going to get screened out occasionally...why risk it?

Just cut-and-paste the job posting into your resume as your job description for any pertinent current or former jobs.  Then go through and delete anything that doesn't apply.  Now change the personal pronouns & other modifiers to make it read correctly.  Voila...you have a resume that will pass an automated screener...

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2010, 12:37 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline RFleming

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Jul 10, 2010, 12:04 »
You made some great points.  Remember that Spell Check only does so much; re-read and the read again.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?