Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu TVA is taking it's time... I hope honeypot

Author Topic: TVA is taking it's time... I hope  (Read 5965 times)

jgmilliken

TVA is taking it's time... I hope
« on: Jan 06, 2010, 03:36 »
Hello!  I have been lurking here, and applying for every operations job I have seen, for nearly the 8 months.  Anyway, I have come to the place in my search where I must actually post on this board, regardless of how badly I may be treated.   :)

My only credential is my B.S. in Physics and Minor in Math from the University of Kentucky, which I received in May of 2009.

I saw a posting in the summer of 09 for a student operations position on the TVA website.  The position was supposed to begin this month, January 2010.
The run down in brief is:
June 09 - Apply for an Operations training position with the TVA.
Late July 09 - Get invitation to take the POSS August 29'th
Early December 09 - Get results, Passed all sections
....end of story :(

It took a long time (longer than the 10 weeks I was told it would take) for me to get the results back from the POSS test, but I was told that taking the POSS test when I did would make me eligible for the student position.  I still haven't heard any news from the TVA.  Does it normally take this long to hear a decision?

I have noticed that TVA has begun searching for Operations Trainers/Instructors on their website.  Does this mean that the student positions are filled?

I don't know how to contact at the TVA because I don't have any inside contacts.  Everything I have done has been through the official website channels.  Any advice on contacting a PERSON at the TVA would be helpful.  They never answer the HR phone, or respond to my e-mails...  I feel like I am talking to a black hole.

Should I be doing something to make myself more desirable while I am a searching for a job?  I just don't know how to get my foot in the door.  I have no family connections, and don't know anyone in the industry.

Fermi2

Re: TVA is taking it's time... I hope
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 05:39 »
TVA shuts down in December so on one hand I wouldn't sweat it.
On the other hand, you probably don't meet the qualifications we're looking for.

Mike

jc

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:44 »
June 09 - Apply for an Operations training position with the TVA.

At which plant?

Offline anthonyalsup

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:53 »
If the position you are referring to is at Browns Ferry, the class may have been cancelled.  The class that was supposed to start in Jan got cancelled/postponed.  I'm pretty sure there will be another class sometime this year, so don't be suprised if you get a phone call later. 

With a Bachelors in Physics, you do meet the quals for the SGPO position.  And yes, it does take that long.  I applied in Aug. 03, took the test in Oct. 03, interviewed in Feb. 04, and didn't hear another thing until Aug. 04.  All of a sudden, got a call, offered a job and started in Oct. 04.  Must be patient for this job, before and during employment.

Offline rockchalk99

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:56 »
BZ,  what are the qualifications that they're most likely looking for?

I feel the OP's pain. I'm sure he's read through, and applied to numerous job postings, as I have too, only to never hear anything back from the HR "blackhole". From what's listed on many job postings it would seem that the OP would meet most if not all of the qualifications desired in the average NLO job posting at a large utility. I'm interested in what the "probably not what we're looking for" refers to, because you make it sound like there are other qualifications that are required to be considered that aren't advertised in the job postings.

I'm in much the same position as this guy, and I know how frustrating it is. I'm sure the first thing he did after reading your response was try to find the original job posting for the TVA job he applied for, and tried to figure out what he missed in the job posting that made him think that he had a snowballs chance in hell of being considered.

I've read through a lot of your posts BZ, and I've taken a lot of your advice during my current job search. Contacting someone in HR requires help from the NSA if you don't have an inside contact to help you out, and forget about getting any feedback if you do. Guess what I'm saying is that it would be really helpful to know what qualifications are sought to fulfill the "probably not what we're looking for" void that isn't readily discerned from the average NLO job posting.

jgmilliken

« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2010, 06:13 »
If the position you are referring to is at Browns Ferry, the class may have been cancelled.  The class that was supposed to start in Jan got cancelled/postponed.  I'm pretty sure there will be another class sometime this year, so don't be suprised if you get a phone call later. 

Browns Ferry was the one.  I have to say I feel better knowing that the class got canceled, though attending it would be better.  Now I just wish I could know when/if that phone call is coming.

Also, in the Browns Ferry posting there were several fossil plant operator positions included in the listing.  I would obviously take one if offered, but my question is this. Is it easy to make the jump to nuke from fossil?  Does that happen often?

rockchalk99:
Well misery loves company!  This is easily the most stressful part of my life to date.  We can stress together haha :P

And you are right, I visited the original posting again.  I feel confident in my chance to at least get an interview.  I have similar questions though, is there more I could have as quals?  Do companies shy away from science (physics) degrees?  I tried to express in my cover letter that I have practical experience working on/with large machinery from living on a farm (tractors and mowers don't fix themselves).  I really believe that I will do well in an interview... if I ever get the chance!

DSO

« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:35 »
There are people with 20 years experience who are out of work who have better credentials than many people that are employed.......you are just another resume in a stack during these hard economic times.......you are not special, as you have no in plant experience.....so your whining is not warranted

flblasted

« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:09 »
There are people with 20 years experience who are out of work who have better credentials than many people that are employed.......you are just another resume in a stack during these hard economic times.......you are not special, as you have no in plant experience.....so your whining is not warranted

Where was he whining at?  He asked for advice and then asked for some clarification on a comment that was made.

Maybe your useless remark is not warranted.   

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:48 »
Maybe your useless remark is not warranted.   

Or yours, perhaps. Here is one of the comments that drew attention:

I have to say I feel better knowing that the class got canceled

Offline rockchalk99

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2010, 12:25 »
You don't have to be registered or signed in to access this forum.

And yes, I've read a ton of posts by BZ, and other contributors that have been very insightful, and it has definitely taken more than a few days.

clcartwr

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2010, 03:00 »
jgmilliken,

Did you ever hear anything else from TVA?  I took the POSS for the same position back in November of 2008 (for BFN and Sequoyah).  I pretty much have the same background as you (Bachelor's in physics, minor in math but with lots of maintenance experience).  I received an email from them recently asking if I was still interested because they are starting an SGPO class around September 2010.  I told them I was and they ask me to resubmit updated resume, etc.  I did receive an email from them back in 2009 saying the SGPO class was cancelled so at least I had a heads up but didn't know I could still be considered for position!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?