Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How do I get started?

Author Topic: How do I get started?  (Read 5424 times)

BigBen

How do I get started?
« on: Dec 30, 2009, 03:39 »
I finished NDT school in September and want to get into outage work asap. I have been trained in MT, PT, RT, UT, VT, and QC and now I want to get into the nuclear outage feild but an unsure where start. Thanks for the help!

B.PRESGROVE

Re: How do I get started?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2009, 04:45 »
Hey BigBen, first welcome to nukeworker! and all that goes with it.  To start you will probably start as a deconner, where most folks start, and with time and experiance you will be able to work your way up to jr hp tech, sr hp tech.

BigBen

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:02 »
sounds good, so how do i get a job as a deconner?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:07 »
OK, you just trained in a specialty, you should have some job assistance at your school. Most of the NDT types in nuclear are already experienced (did their time in pipeline / chemical plants).

Don't jump off your recent training to fall into Decon / RP - look outside of nuclear for now until you can complete your level II certs, etc. Then you may have better luck getting into nuclear.

Expand your view - NDT work is in almost all industries, from power, manufacturing, construction, etc.

Good luck.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

BigBen

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:18 »
So what is it i need to do to get into the ndt field? I have applied for multiple jobs but i guess my lack of experience is holding me back.  Where would a good entry level position be and how do i find it?  My school tried to place as many of us as they could but only half of us got work.

BigBen

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:04 »
thanks for the help and suggestions, i will continue my efforts.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:59 »
I'm always ready to help, provided he learns to capitalize.

Mikey

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2010, 02:03 »
help i need good vibes coming my way, i put in ,once again,for a decon or firewatch position.i have done both these jobs in the past i just want to get back in nuclear work

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:22 »
So what is it i need to do to get into the ndt field? I have applied for multiple jobs but i guess my lack of experience is holding me back.  Where would a good entry level position be and how do i find it?  My school tried to place as many of us as they could but only half of us got work.

Try looking at SystemOne.  I know Westinghouse, and other "Vendor" companies use them to staff their outage QC needs.  Im sure there are tons of other companies that do the exact same thing.

http://www.systemoneservices.com/

And, to clear up any confusions, I have no affiliation with Systemone, I worked with some of their QC's in a past life.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?