Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu safety

Author Topic: safety  (Read 6386 times)

mostlyharmless

safety
« on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:34 »
Out in the world, I say out in the world because here at a DOE facility it doesn't feel like part of the world, do you have formalized safety programs,witch may include hazard analysis(done by the people actually to do the work),walk downs,pre plans,etc. The incident at TMI sounds like it could have been prevented by a walk down,so I thought I would explore how things are done in the world. I have worked on the road and now at DOE. Safety is of course important and the job of an HP is one of safety (as well as PR) So please tell me ,and the rest of the forum,how things are done and hoe they should be done.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: safety
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:46 »
Pretty much everything gets everything you listed gets done for any job.  The level of detail varies based upon the task at hand.  It may be a 2 minute combination of pre-job brief, work area walkdown, safety inspection by the two people involved in moving something with a hand cart.  On the other hand it could be 50 people involved in a 2 day pre-job brief using a physical mock-up or virtual reality headsets, with separate workplace inspections done by HP, site safety, the fire department, operations, with continuous senior management oversight.

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2010, 02:34 »
In the real world the Preachers say "Safety comes first" however the congregation knows that means "safety comes first. right after getting the job done". The 2 minute drills and all the STAR preaching disappear when the schedule is challenged.
This is especially evident in the current economy when workers are willing to do anything just to keep their jobs.
As an HP I have been told by management to overlook safety concerns. I chose to leave a job  because I was repeatedly placed in a situation where I chose to risk losing my job for stopping an evolution before someone was hurt. I knew that if I did not stop it and someone was hurt I would still lose my job. So I chose the morally right thing and held up the schedule to protect the workers. As expected there was criticism of my action and I chose to leave the job.

So to honestly answer your question in the real world the rule is " Try to get er done safely but make darn sure you get er done on schedule".

Let's see if anyone else has ever been in a similar situation.

pappy

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:15 »
In the real world the Preachers say "Safety comes first" however the congregation knows that means "safety comes first. right after getting the job done". The 2 minute drills and all the STAR preaching disappear when the schedule is challenged.
This is especially evident in the current economy when workers are willing to do anything just to keep their jobs.
As an HP I have been told by management to overlook safety concerns. I chose to leave a job  because I was repeatedly placed in a situation where I chose to risk losing my job for stopping an evolution before someone was hurt. I knew that if I did not stop it and someone was hurt I would still lose my job. So I chose the morally right thing and held up the schedule to protect the workers. As expected there was criticism of my action and I chose to leave the job.

So to honestly answer your question in the real world the rule is " Try to get er done safely but make darn sure you get er done on schedule".

Let's see if anyone else has ever been in a similar situation.

Sounds like most SGR's I have seen, especially with SGT there!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:11 »
I think we have all been put in that position more than once. I know I have lost opportunities for better/longer employment over my refusal to get run over by production, but so far I am not starving (if you have seen me recently, that is self-evident.) I am quite sure I have annoyed a few people along the way that wanted me to look the other way, but that suits me just fine.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

mostlyharmless

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:54 »
I have been in preplans when after all other aspects of the job were discussed and it came to radcon,everyone ,except us,got up and walked away.This is not a rant about the lack of respect for rad safety,but I certainly recognize it, but I have seen two people die,one from a stupid accident, one from a heart attack(Vick RIP). Once after a new safety program was rolled out requiring walk downs of every job,I was to cover a job in plastic suites in a highly contaminated part of the plant locked behind a rollup door. We were all dressed up,had every thing we needed,only to find out the roll up door switch was tagged out. Good walk down. I have done stupid things, but I will not knowingly allow someone else to be harmed by my inactivity.
Its true,new programs are trotted out,some good, but invariably ignored when inconvenient.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:22 »
In the DOE and public owned utilities OSHA regulations do not have to be followed. Oh yeah they preach and preach but a long as the job gets done on time... that was a safe job. If insurance rates go up so be it... electrical rates will go up.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2010, 02:00 »
In the DOE and public owned utilities OSHA regulations do not have to be followed. Oh yeah they preach and preach but a long as the job gets done on time... that was a safe job. If insurance rates go up so be it... electrical rates will go up.

Actually, OSHA does have to be followed...they just have agreements with DOE & NRC to let the DOE/NRC inspectors enforce the OSHA rules at the nuclear sites.

And, in my experience, nuclear is WAY more focused on safety than anywhere non-nuclear would be.  Part of this opinion is based on my previous life as a construction worker...and part is based on listening to the outage workers tell horror stories from the pulp mills, refineries, chem plants, etc.

I know at my current plant, all of the management's bonuses have a component based on our industrial safety record...so we get safety hammered into us first thing every morning...and at every pre-job briefing...and when we get to the job site...and in the post-job review...and...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:25 »

Yes, we do. OSHA usually agrees to have NRC & DOE enforce, as was already said. Many nuclear plants are evaluated by OSHA (or state OSHA in agreement states, such as VT) as part of OSHA's STAR program. This program is an "above and beyond" evaluation of top safety performers. Takes about 3-5 years to achieve, and involves a cooperative work environment btween management and workers regarding industrial safety. This is a serious commitment of time and money to improve a working culture. My plant created a union position within the safety department to ensure this went smoothly, and to provide the union with direct access to industrial safety decisions. It is a continuing rotational position, due to change this year.

Here is a quick google search of the program and some of the stations that have earned STAR status. VY got it last year.

http://www.google.com/search?q=osha+star+nuclear&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Industrial safety is important at many nuclear stations. If your experience has not been good, maybe you haven't been at the right stations...  ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?