Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Outages For 2010  

Author Topic: Outages For 2010  (Read 65827 times)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Outages For 2010
« Reply #75 on: Feb 05, 2010, 11:46 »

Not to disparage most 2 year college programs, but the Navy does the same all in 6 months and I would trust their knowledge and training over many with a 4 year degree. 

a peace of paper is good four moor than cuvering wholes in the wall.  it helps open doors.  tru, their are peepul who got up in the whirled with out degrees.  duzzant mean that school ain't kneaded.  it means those peeps where extremely driven, probly "type a" personalitees.  having tracable paper is a good thing.  eye had a similar type of experience.  after eye put in my time atta operating power plant to git my 3.1, only two have a.n.s.i. change da wording on that definition, i needed a weigh to seperate frum the herd of instant 3.1.  aye wuz too old to join da navy, 'n life had me in a position witch wood have made that matrimonial suicide.  sew, eye hadda git some tech training that would be recognizabull two doze peepill who hire.  i found a job witch qualled me at navsea rct article 108.  vary good technical training and it has been recognized everywhere.  butt, it's training that can be traced to a known source.  in da field training, otj, what ever, cannont and isn't taken seriously.  dat iz da reason people doing da hiring look at how long you've bin in da field, where yu've been, 'n yer references so closely.  witch iss all sew why sum sites dew knot automatically consider yew a 18.1 as soon as ya gots yer 24 months in or recognize ya as a 3.1 soon's ya turn 36 months.  training certs 'n degrees git ya there faster 'n better.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #76 on: Feb 05, 2010, 03:58 »
YOU made 3.1?  Way to go!  LOL   you get that new B'mer you were lookin at?
I was able to keep myself from buying the BMW.......till October.  The thing is a massive beast, and can actually scare the hell out of me.  If your return for our "88" day outage, I will make sure to scare the hell out of you too.  BTW.....we still have (2) HP Supervisor positions open....I can put in a good word for you lol.  And you know Im only a 3.1 in time accumulated.....really Im still a deconner at heart.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 04:00 by Bonds 25 »
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #77 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:44 »
Marssim,

The 18.1 senior positions are similar to the assigned Warrant Officer titles of the military.  From our industries perspective, the time stipulation assigns the title.  Although several sites accept individuals at that status, they are usually restricted from what would be considered high risk activities, unless accompanied by a more experienced technician, (3.1).  The industries manpower demands may expand the duties of these individuals, which would probably yield some new regulatory oversight.  I have been to a couple of sites that used 18.1 seniors and had problems.  The field supervisors only hear the word “SENIOR” and dish out duties beyond the individual’s level of experience and expertise.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, depends on the technicians ability to know when their in over their head, combined with the willingness to admit it.

cubby11,

You haven't realized it, but you have a huge advantage!  As Slo mentioned, you have a traceable line on your career pedigree!  You where probably exposed to information that many members of our community don’t even know exist!  I'll bet Marssim's 50 bucks that you don't even know why some of the information was taught, or why you had to know and test on it, but that will be clarified as you gain experience in the industry!  As far as the classroom policies for attendance, my hat’s off to that instructor!

From the political aspect.....You attended and passed a program apparently sponsored by the NRC!  The program probably had a couple of other players associated with it, a contract company and/or maybe a utility or two!  Anybody in Nuke-Land want to overlook a kid’s resume that reads "Completed XXXX program, sponsorship by the US NRC"!

There are a couple of programs I know of, that sponsors actually subsidize and pay wages to the attendees.  Not a bad gig when you think of it, their giving these individuals a technical degree, a roof over their head and food on the table. 

Then again, I could just be making that up…… ;)!

Outages 2010…Happy Hunting…RG! 

stewdill

« Reply #78 on: Feb 06, 2010, 06:18 »
Oh boy putting myself out there on this one. But the topic was the reason why road workers are finding it hard to find work. As far as Jr.s I know a little about this and have seen it first hand. I am myself a new 18.1 Sr. Recently graduating from the clutches of Jr. Time. I feel where some of the anger about these grads are justified to some point. I am speaking now from hearsay and from personal experience. When it comes to Bartlett and people rising up from being a deconner to a Jr. Education in nuclear field doesn't matter much. Or at all. I have known people who on their own have sought out getting education in the nuclear field and still not being able to rise to a Jr. position.

Then we have the Interns. OK so we got replaced with interns in our Jr. Jobs because the plant wanted to give them job experience.And later see if they wanted to hire them. We hated it, but we understood it. But Low and behold they didn't get their house job. O soooo sorry. But who returns the very next outage season as a fresh faced new Jr Rp for Bartlett. The same kids. And I have worked with MANY MANY MANY of them. Some are smart and try very hard. Most......................... .... well......................... ... Maybe they should of paid attention in meter reading class.... I don't really see why these kids are able to score the Jr jobs that are available over deconners who hope to move up. Some of those deconners may have the same training but remain decon. It is all very confusing to me. And not really much of a worry for me anymore until those non-meter reading kids become Srs. Lord help us all.

I guess this reply is in reply to whoever it was that said for road workers to go to school to compete with the Interns. When many have went to school and it counted towards diddly crap. And the interns have a road paved in gold.......... why I don't know.

Content1

« Reply #79 on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:08 »
I guess this reply is in reply to whoever it was that said for road workers to go to school to compete with the Interns. When many have went to school and it counted towards diddly crap. And the interns have a road paved in gold.......... why I don't know.

I thought I was talked out of this thread but the above post brought me back to a sore spot I have with Bartlett.   When I was at Rocky Flats Bartlett had a program to train you to be an RCT and I paid $2,200 to get my daughter trained in said program.   She took the  8 week course, which was more then just how to pass the core exam, that is meters, surveys etc.  She passed with flying colors.   Did it get her an outage?  No.   She started as a deconner and worked her way to a junior jobs just like a lot of other deconners.  She then passed the NUF.   I guess it made her a more knowledgeable junior, but it did not get her a position that she could have got as a deconner anyway and $2,200 down the drain.   You why I am somewhat skeptical about the value of the training programs verses on the job experience.

Content1

« Reply #80 on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:50 »
Everyone should just become registered with the NRRPT. I hear it is just like having a Bachelor's Degree; problem solved.

How's the search for outage work in 2010?

And pass the NRRPT I assume you also mean.  If everyone did that what a world it would be, at least for seniors with more than 5 years experience.  People who have passed that test are a cut above the rest.

How the search is going, all the positions are nearly filled.  Time to think about the fall.

stewdill

« Reply #81 on: Feb 07, 2010, 04:24 »
LOL my short six years in nuclear industry.............. yes I have met Sr.s who have a hard time reading meters. But these kids took a two year class and come into the field supposivley trained. And have no idea how to read a meter. Not all of them but yea  some.

Jr8black3

« Reply #82 on: Feb 07, 2010, 09:13 »
I applaud Content for getting his daughter in, I was up at Fermi last outage I was the night shift supervisor, there were not many folks there younger then me, and Im getting old atleast to me I'am..We almost had to put a wheel chair ramp in,,,Sr RP's are a dying breed.

College & Navy vrs. a deconner as a SR RP

I've seen techs with degrees yes they are smart, but they are lazy..I have seen it first hand..The Navy techs most of them go to ops or Engineering..

Folks don't get me wrong we had some good techs at Fermi..

But what these plants need to understand, they need to get some kids with a work ethic and let these SR's train them..One thing I did see at Fermi, I seen alot of people with no work ethic and that concerns me too..

Anyway goodluck to all in 2010, we may cross paths.

Just me

Cathy

« Reply #83 on: Feb 07, 2010, 06:31 »
Quote from: Cathy on Feb 04, 2010, 20:16
I am glad to see a plant taking juniors! We are taking 8 this spring at Comanche Peak. No PCM watches here, I had 2 with me on the refuel floor last outage, they definitely got their "cavity time" 

friggin house slug..... ;)

Well, the carnie spoke up  ;D (No offense intended to actual hard working contractors) Kind of like calling the kettle black!!
I worked with you many times when I was a junior. I learned from the best how to abuse, I mean train juniors!
Over the years I have seen plants move juniors from being on the coat tails of seniors to PCM watch. I did my share of PCM watch one time as a junior at Clinton during their extended shutdown on nightshift. What a miserable job! If I had not been so close to being a senior that 3 months of sheer boredom would have done me in.
I believe if plants gave a little more training to juniors they would find them to be a valuable asset and bring more in for outages.
I do not know how the staffing for the outages this spring is going, I do know our junior slots filled up fast.

Jr8black3

« Reply #84 on: Feb 07, 2010, 07:35 »
Cathy, one thing I hate, 2 weeks before she was going to be Sr.they threw her back into decon...I bet many can guess where this happened...

Going back to whatch the bowl game

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #85 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:19 »
[Well, the carnie spoke up  ;D (No offense intended to actual hard working contractors) Kind of like calling the kettle black!!
I worked with you many times when I was a junior. I learned from the best how to abuse, I mean train juniors!
Over the years I have seen plants move juniors from being on the coat tails of seniors to PCM watch. I did my share of PCM watch one time as a junior at Clinton during their extended shutdown on nightshift. What a miserable job! If I had not been so close to being a senior that 3 months of sheer boredom would have done me in.

[/quote]
Thanks for not lumping me in with the "hard workers"  I've made a career out of avoiding physical labor :o

Even with those 3 months of PCM watch, you were still better prepared than a certain RPM....you know, the
one who asked a contractor if the Rx Cavity was inside Ctmt.....LOL

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #86 on: Mar 18, 2010, 07:49 »
It has been fun but from my perspective I have found out what happened this season from the recruiters and I am satisfied that they are not restricting anyone, and if there are some who restrict non-college trained it is a utility decision that they simply do not post the job in the first place if they intend to use interns.  The recruiters are OK.   It now becomes a matter of extending the search to include anything/everything out there, a level enough playing field for me.   That is all I originally sought to find out.

Sorry, but I think I'm going to lose some karma points on this one.  Content 1 seems to be blaming the staffing co.'s (Bartlett, Atlantic, etc.) instead of the plant bean counters.  I'm the last one to defend Bartlett et all, but they can't offer jobs that aren't awarded in the bid.  The staffing companies make money in keeping employees working.  They aren't going to turn down juniors if there are positions open!
For an educated man, it sure took long enough to figure out people were emphasizing A.N.S.I. 1.8 vs 18.1!!  :P :P :P :P

I was lucky, Virginia Power paid for my edumaction!  Once I had my three years in, employment was easy to find.  I never had to fight the Jr. drought so many others have.  I feel for them, please keep plugging.  We're getting kind of old and the industry needs to replace us as we die.  :( :( :( :(
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #87 on: Mar 19, 2010, 01:26 »
Well this Jr discussion is getting off topic but..
Getting in JR time hasnt been easy since the early 90's but it can be done...and yes it will TAKE A WHILE!
It took me 4 years in the early-mid 90's & didnt try that hard....$7/hr & $40/day almost every place i went!
The point that is being missed is this;
Just because you have the time, doesnt mean an new Sr has the EXPERIENCE.
Jrs do soo little these days & not a complete fault of their own but to an extent, it is.
Enjoy the ride up & LEARN...The plant iam at brought in a couple of B- Jrs & a hand full of college kids.
As for the content 1, if your offspring has such a difficult time, why are you on here defending/ bemoaning the recruiters/ business???
Shouldnt they be & not you??

Content1

« Reply #88 on: Mar 19, 2010, 02:01 »

As for the content 1, if your offspring has such a difficult time, why are you on here defending/ bemoaning the recruiters/ business???
Shouldn't they be & not you??

Because I do not speak just for them, all juniors are finding similar problems and in the forum, like a crucible for ideas, look for answers that benefit all rather then suffer individually in silence.  I have heard mostly those who either blame themselves,  or say, "It's the systems and accept it," and I am encouraged by the few brave souls who share how they have succeeded in spite of the obstacles in the system.   What else is a forum for?   My offspring don't have the investment in the industry I do.   If it gets too bad they can do something else.   We old fogies can't run , we must hold our ground and fight for what we feel is right.   Forums like this spread the word what is happening in the industry and it is up to the individual to decide what are they going to do about it.   Many fear saying anything for fear of being "Blacklisted."   I have never found that to be the case.   Always find jobs in many fields in spite of my holding of an opinion.   If a person's complaint is reasonable you have to believe reason will eventually prevail.

jheard

« Reply #89 on: Aug 02, 2011, 01:48 »
 I know this reply is a bit late since it has been months since the last post. I would just like to add a little more information on the topic of internships (school vs. traveling hard workers blahblah).  I was introduced into this field my junior year in collage (i am studying Health physics ,minor in homeland security).  An internship spot had opened at the local power plant (which is located about 20 miles from my school) and was offering a 6 month internship, student pay, mentoring experience etc. The qualifications were : at least a 2.5, someone enrolled as a full time student, preferably an upper classman (sophomore or above), and you had to be majoring in either radiation technology/ health physics or some form of advanced technology or science. After the qualifications were met we had to go through an interviewing process with a few staff members (RPs) at the plant.  This program began my freshman year in collage, I am a senior now. 

Now that I am finally a recipeant of the internship/scholarship all I can say is wow.  I had never seen the inside of a nuclear power plant.  I began my internship 2 weeks ago.  For the months spanning between the call I received and my start date I was to spend my time studying all the information I was going to need at the site.  Some I had already studied for 3 years at school and some was new to me.  Over the past 2 weeks all of the House Tecs and contractor RPs have been like a huge family to me and my fellow co-op student.  We are to grab as much information available to us, study, and after we pass the NEU/NUF we begin our QUALS.  The purpose of this co-op/internship (in our area at least) is to introduce, educate, and train young individuals and mold them into RPs.

Now in no way am i knocking hard working people who go the other route (traveling and gaining experience) but one thing the contractor RPs are constantly telling me is that I am very lucky to begin this journey fresh from collage with the guidance of all of my mentors.  They stress to me the importance of gaining a house position for security (benefits, retirement, etc) but on the other hand they are not knocking outage work either.  Their best advice to me is to persue what makes me happy.   

Now for a show of how this program has turned out in the past, all of the co-op students from my school (over the past 3 years) have taken up a job in this field. And the most recent graduates are able to apply for a house job here.  This is nothing new because actually before the co-op was geared towards radiation it was a program strictly for the chemistry department. So this is just a different view showing that this program does work but it is up to the plants to continue to hire hard working people.  And not to accuse you of anything, but content 1 your opinions kinda made it look like you were bashing the importance of a good education and college degree. I do agree with you that some people do graduate receive a degree (piece of paper) and dont know crap but thats their problem and in that case that piece of paper won't get them anywhere but on the couch at their parent's house.
 :o sorry so long but thats my story

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?