Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Best way to advance my career as a RCT(hp): Help!! honeypot

Author Topic: Best way to advance my career as a RCT(hp): Help!!  (Read 11476 times)

Offline sws

• Very Lite User
Ive been in the DOE circut for about 5 years as a craft(trade) worker. I just recently passed my DOE core and started working as a Jr. RCT(hp). I'm very ambitious and was wondering the best route to take to make it as far as I can in this field. I almost have a degree from a local community college. What would the nrrpt or the chp do for me or would a college degree in nuclear engineering be the best bet? I'm just not sure of the best path to take since I lack in experience and education. Thanks for your help!

Offline sws

• Very Lite User
Re: Best way to advance my career as a RCT(hp): Help!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:08 »
Thanks so much for the insight. I also looked at the college and they offer a degree in evironmental health technology. I just do not want to waste my time or money. But a degree is a degree right?

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2010, 05:41 »
At least in my experience the Nuclear engineering degree will open more doors for advancement.  Lots of door to areas not RP related.
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2010, 06:36 »
I've got 2 degrees and the CHP and the nrrpt. Hasn't helped much. You need connections, "smooth talking" and a bit of luck. Watch out for yourself.
Words fail me and pictures aren't much better.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2010, 09:06 »
I think you should milk as much time with D.O.E. as you can.  Once you get three years in, you'll be a 3.1 tech.  In the time it takes to become a senior, you can further your education.  A degree and a NRRPT cert won't help if you want to be a traveler.  If you want to go house, it will be a huge benefit.  I suggest working on the education and putting in the time.  Once a senior tech, many doors will open.  A degree and less than three years experience, isn't going to offer nearly what I believe you're looking for.  Good luck and keep all of us up to date. [2cents]
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

mostlyharmless

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2010, 01:13 »
Not bad advice. I have known a few techs here at srs  to work part time,app.20 hrs a week while working on a degree. Even full time, management may work with your schedule to help. In any event,finish your degree.Wether you go rp or nuke engineering, you can't go wrong. If you go rp,once you get the time in or time plus education,then you think about nrrpt or chp. CHP recquires a BS degree. NRRPT does not. Getting your degree, while not absolutely necessary,will help. What site are you at?

mostlyharmless

« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2010, 01:16 »
And take advantage of any training offered at your site.

etm

« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2010, 06:57 »
Already been mentioned that the CHP requires at least a Bachelor's.  In addition, one has to have at least six years experience at a professional level before they will let you sit for Part II of the exam.  From what I have seen, unfortunately, most tech level experience will not count for this.

Not sure how much the NRRPT will buy you these days.  Generally doesn't translate into a bigger paycheck.  As someone who has reviewed a lot resumes, I looked at it as someone who would be at least senior level.  Based that on the experience requirement before they let you sit for that exam as well.  It does demonstrate a committment to the field and on your part to improve yourself.  Some organizations out there like to see those initials after your name.

Good luck.

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2010, 08:40 »
A degree will help you get your foot in the door for a house job.  But you need to define what you mean as "advance your career".  If you goal is to maximize your income  then moving upward is not always the right choice.  At my plant the first (and only) person in the HP chain that will make more than the techs is the Manager level.  That is the 3rd level of supervision.   This is due to fact that techs get OT and supervision is salaried.  They are finding it increasingly difficult to fill jobs that ought to be in high demand by the best and brightest. 

So you have to decide what you mean by advance---  Money or something else

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2010, 07:03 »
grantime,

That's pretty good information and a very accurate assessment of todays industry.

Sort of defines the difference between hiring the best available vs. the best!

Opinion 101,

RG!

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2010, 09:29 »
So why would someone take a supervisory job if it means more headaches and less money?  This quote comes to mind.

There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to
govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
   -- Daniel Webster

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:21 »
So why would someone take a supervisory job if it means more headaches and less money?

Here @ SRS, supervisors all make more money than the grunts unless you like working 84 hours a week shift work. Also there's a lot less rainsuit & respirator-----2 pair hoseline-----plastic suit sweat work while being exposed to beryllium, radiation, Pb and asbestos. I'll take the supervisory job in a heartbeat. I've done both and the knuckle-dragging stuff sux. But, to each his own :)
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2011, 10:24 by jkj »
Words fail me and pictures aren't much better.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

Offline sws

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2011, 12:54 »
Thank you for all of your responses....Lots of good information that I have currently used. A year later update I am 9 credit hours away from an AAS in Environmental health technology and plan to just get my time in to be senior. Once I receive my AAS my company will give me 6 months credit toward my senior status, so thats a plus. Then once I hit the 5 year mark I plan to take the NRRPT, and we will see where that will take me. I know from a resume assessor that experience, an AAS and NRRPT has to account for something.
  Once again thanks for all the advice!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?