Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Counting down the days of A-school honeypot

Author Topic: Counting down the days of A-school  (Read 6235 times)

Offline stephpatton

• Light User
Counting down the days of A-school
« on: Jan 31, 2010, 01:06 »
So, the first trimester before I get to be born a baby nuke is almost over.  I'm so glad we had the best instructors.  Special kudos to MM1 (SS) XXXXXXX, everyone in our class pretty much agrees we will compare future instructors to his greatness.  I never in my life thought I'd be given so much information at once and be able to learn it, let alone use it; but my husband came home and found me fixing the washing machine. Two months ago, I'd have gotten a new washing machine or he'd fix it.  Now, I'll fix it myself with these cool things called tools.  In short, what I'm getting at is that it is nice to be versatile with what you learn in this program.  Who knows if I'll reenlist after 6 years, but I do know that I'll be able to fix more than a washing machine when this is over.  

Just a side note:
Anyone have any new information on Mayport opening to CVNs?  Is it still looking to be 2012?  

Post edited to remove a name by GC
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2010, 07:36 by Gamecock »
If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back, set them on fire. -George Carlin

mikemike06

Re: Counting down the days of A-school
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2010, 02:59 »
Congrats on your progress.  I still have a few months yet before I leave for Great Lakes.  This report just came out this past week.  Not sure if this is new info for you or not but its the latest on the CVN move to Mayport.  I haven't heard of a time frame for the move but we'll see what happens....   ::)

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=151454&catid=3

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/mostpopular/news-article.aspx?storyid=151489&provider=top

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2010, 03:49 »
Even if we put a CVN in Meyport, you would not want to be on it. 

To quote a friend of mine.....

When it comes to maintenance you will suffer greatly. Any major drydocking availability will entail a nice 10-month "deployment" to Newport News or Norfolk Naval while your family sits at home. Normal PIA support will be marginal down in Mayport and I wouldn't be too surprised to find a nice short-term shift to Norfolk for periodic PIAs.

The problem is that a CVN comes with an incredible maintenance infrastructure requirement - an infrastructure that doesn't exist in Mayport. People may think this is a good thing in the near term, but when the bill for developing the infrastructure comes due, some brain-surgeon is going to suggest exactly what I've outlined above: move the CVN to Norfolk for major maintenance availabilities.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2010, 03:50 »
Congratulations and thanks for the update!

Offline Abiien

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2010, 11:53 »
Steph,

I'm guessing you're a MM, first off, by the washing machine statement...

How far are you along in power school? I am still in A-School as an ET to be. Just curious cause I think its funny I remember looking on here and seeing you talk about being a Nuke back in the good ol' DEP days!

louie998

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2010, 04:23 »
As someone who has recently spoken to the Admiral and asked him that very question on Mayport....

Basic sum up of his answer,

The two legislatures are still fighting over it and there has been no real set date as to when it will happen. He doesnt really care either way if a carrier moves there or not so long as they are supported.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?