Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Transferring from a Nuke to a SEAL?

Author Topic: Transferring from a Nuke to a SEAL?  (Read 27360 times)

Offline Thunaraz

• Lurker
Transferring from a Nuke to a SEAL?
« on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:03 »
This is my first post and there's something I would like to say:  I'm very happy to have found such a comprehensive and genuine resource on Navy Nukes.  By far one of the best websites I've ever visited, and that's saying quite a lot.

Now, I feel it's necessary to provide a little background information.  Two months ago, after much consideration and soul-searching, I decided to see a Navy recruiter.  As you know, the first thing they have you do is the practice ASVAB.  They saw my score of 99 and, of course, tried to sell me all day on the nuclear field.  I was told that they were only accepting people for three jobs:  nukes, SEALs, and musicians.  Well, I happen to be an experienced musician, so I told them I was interested in that.  However, ever since junior high, I always had an interest in nuclear engineering.  I also have a few family friends who were special forces in various branches (SEALs, Green Berets, Rangers, etc.), so that naturally appealed to me.  I was told there was a waiting list for nukes and a plan was laid out for me by my recruiters.  First, I would go to MEPS and sign the nuke contract.  Second, they would set up the music audition and, if I made it, that contract would overwrite the nuke contract.  Well, I really liked the idea of becoming a SEAL, which I'm well aware is no easy feat.  However, I did some research and it turns out, I'm not qualified to be a SEAL because of my moderate near-sightedness.  I understand that getting LASIK before enlisting is guaranteed to disqualify me from all military service, so that idea is out.  PRK is an option, but still not a very good idea before enlisting because of possible waiver complications.  I decided to enlist as a nuke, although my dream of being a SEAL is still very much alive.  I went to the MEPS in January, easily passed the medical review, signed the nuke contract, and swore in on the 20th.  The music audition has been set up and I'm practicing as much as possible, as I'd prefer musician over nuke.

If you've read this far, congratulations!  You've finally reached my question!

Question:  I'm aware that the navy can perform PRK free of charge while enlisted, which is what I plan to do.  I want to get the surgery, and hopefully switch over to a SEAL at some point during my enlistment.  I confess that I know very little about how this process works, and I'm sure some of you veterans can tell by my writing.

How hard is this transfer to accomplish?
Will they only perform the surgery if the job is already set up?
Is it even possible to switch from a nuke to a SEAL?
Would it be easier to switch from a musician to a SEAL?
Obviously I can't just show up at A school and tell them I want to be a SEAL.  At what point in my enlistment do job transfers become an option?
Have I set myself up for disappointment by signing up for a nuke contract while secretly hoping to transfer out?
Is my understanding of military contracts and transfer seriously flawed?

There is one point I feel that I must make that is critically important:  I will be happy with any of the jobs I get.  Whether it's a nuke or a musician at this point, I'm going to give it everything I have because I won't let it be any other way.  I have many interests, and every option the Navy has given me is an opportunity for me to thrive.  And I will make that opportunity my passion while I'm enlisted, because it's my life and my country, and neither of those will accept anything less.

I would like to thank every post view and reply in advance.  I feel that the members here at NukeWorker can really understand my situation, and will do everything they can to help me make an informed decision.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Transferring from a Nuke to a SEAL?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:52 »
Welcome to M-Division, MM3 Thunaraz !   ;)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:03 »
Welcome to the nuke world. ;) Good luck!

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2010, 01:16 »
Thunaraz,

You have a complicated situation, with many questions.  I'll try to answer them as best I can, as clearly as I can.

Being reassigned a new rating is pretty easy prior to shipping out to boot camp.  Thus far, the navy hasn't really invested any money in training you, so they don't mind giving you a new contract (when a slot becomes available).  Once you become active duty, it gets trickier.

The key to the whole process is a magical form called a 1306/7 (Enlisted Personnel Action Request).  Section 2.02 of NAVPERS 15909 (Enlisted Transfer Manual) describes it in more detail.
http://www.sdmcp.org/Regs/EnlistedTransferManual.pdf

You fill out a 1306/7 and submit it to your chain of command, requesting a special program; In this case, SEAL.  Regardless of whether your command recommends approval of the 1306/7, it is submitted to the appropriate authority (in this case, COMNAVPERSCOM).

If you meet the requirements of MILPERSMAN 1220-120 (Entry Requirements for SEAL etc.) then you will be subject to the screening process (outlined in MILPERSMAN 1220-150 thru 1220-190)
http://www.npc.navy.mil/ReferenceLibrary/MILPERSMAN/1000MilitaryPersonnel/1200Classification/1220_1236/1220_120.htm
http://www.npc.navy.mil/ReferenceLibrary/MILPERSMAN/1000MilitaryPersonnel/1200Classification/1220_1236/1220_150.htm
http://www.npc.navy.mil/ReferenceLibrary/MILPERSMAN/1000MilitaryPersonnel/1200Classification/1220_1236/1220_160.htm
http://www.npc.navy.mil/ReferenceLibrary/MILPERSMAN/1000MilitaryPersonnel/1200Classification/1220_1236/1220_170.htm
http://www.npc.navy.mil/ReferenceLibrary/MILPERSMAN/1000MilitaryPersonnel/1200Classification/1220_1236/1220_180.htm
http://www.npc.navy.mil/ReferenceLibrary/MILPERSMAN/1000MilitaryPersonnel/1200Classification/1220_1236/1220_190.htm

It is worth noting that "Those holding critical NECs, or classified in severely undermanned ratings, may be ineligible.  Applicants are encouraged to contact NAVPERSCOM (PERS-401D) to determine eligibility."  Which basically means if you're a nuke school graduate, you won't be a SEAL.

It would be easier to switch from musician to SEAL, probably because it will be nearly impossible to switch from nuke to SEAL.  Once they get their nuclear hooks in you...good luck trying to transfer out.

As far as PRK surgery is concerned, yes they do offer it free in the navy.  However I understand that there's a long waiting list for it, and you need approval from your command to get the surgery done.  You start by filling out a PRK consult form, or registering online.
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmcp/Patients/Ophthalmology/Documents/PRKConsult.pdf

You will also need a medical evaluation prior to returning to duty, as well as follow-up appointments after the surgery.  For this reason, it is recommended that you get the surgery done while on shore duty rather than a sea-going command.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2010, 11:10 »
When I was at Boot (4 years ago), they brought all of us into a classroom and showed us a bunch of awesome videos of guys jumping out of airplanes, tearing through the water on some killer boats, crawling through woodlands holding big guns, etc...trying to get guys to go through the SEAL screening process.

Oh yea, they prefaced all of this by saying, "If you're here on a Nuke contract, don't even bother. You're not eligible".

If you ship as a Nuke, you will be a Nuke.

I'm not sure how the Musician thing works. My recruiter brought that up with me originally as well since I was pursuing a Music Education degree at the time. My basis for joining the Navy was getting a skill set that would translate to the outside world and provide a means of taking care of my son. I decided that going Nuke would be the better option for me based solely on that consideration. He did make sure to bring up that, based on your audition, you could enter the Navy as high as an E-7 as a musician, which is pretty awesome.

I would caution you against signing a contract for anything that you don't want to do, but even moreso with Nuke. If you ship as a musician, there is still the likelihood that you will be able to try to go through the SEAL screening but there would be implications with your entering paygrade (most likely, pure speculation on my end). I'm pretty sure that SEALs have their own rating now as well (which is different from when I joined) which, if that is the case, would make it even harder to try to cross over.

Best of luck. I would do some serious soul searching before you ship out. I cannot stress the "before you ship" part enough. And if you decide on SEAL as your priority, you should put down the instrument and get to work in the gym. We only had one guy in our Boot class go from SEAL contract to actually graduating BUDS (he was the only one who made it past the screening in Boot as well).

Samabby

« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:05 »
Just in case you are reading too quickly, my young friend, remember this:

Goob said:
" I would caution you against signing a contract for anything that you don't want to do, but even moreso with Nuke."

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2010, 12:08 by Samabby »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2010, 02:25 »
Just in case you are reading too quickly, my young friend, remember this:

Goob said:
" I would caution you against signing a contract for anything that you don't want to do, but even moreso with Nuke."

I went to the MEPS in January, easily passed the medical review, signed the nuke contract, and swore in on the 20th. 

Game,Set,Match.  50 quatloos says he gets MM.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:36 »
I'm pretty sure he isn't actually bound until he leaves for boot, but that's speculation on my end.

Offline Thunaraz

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:24 »
Game,Set,Match.  50 quatloos says he gets MM.

Actually, I'm planning on it.  If I go nuke, I'm aiming for MM and then ELT.  Of course, everything right now is a hypothetical situation, so I may go nuke and decide I like one of the other rates more.

The biggest issue is my eyesight.  I don't want to get PRK during the DEP because I've heard that it can disqualify you.  And even if it doesn't, medical waivers sound painful to acquire and even then, I've heard the military isn't guaranteed to honor it.

To all who have replied so far:  thank you very much for the quick and honest responses.  It's that characteristic which really makes me glad to have found such a wonderful resource in an internet full of BS.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:36 »
And even if it doesn't, medical waivers sound painful to acquire and even then, I've heard the military isn't guaranteed to honor it.

I don't think its as bad as you'd believe.

We use waivers so people can join the Navy instead of going to prison. Your eyesight won't be that difficult to overcome, even if it means you have to go surface.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2010, 06:31 »
Get PRK now, the Navy can wait. Talk to your recruiter about your plans, and ask him about postponing your bootcamp date and possibly applying for SEAL.

Getting a waiver for PRK is not complicated at all, provided that the surgery went well. You fill out a bit of paperwork and the recruiter turns it in...the authority puts their stamp of approval on there and you're good to go. The only requirement is that you will have to wait 6 months post-op. You can use that time to become a PT beast. PRK does not disqualify you from serving, again provided that the surgery goes a-ok. You can reasonably expect to get a waiver for the surgery.

If you go nuke, you will never be a SEAL. Not only will the nuke community do everything they can to retain you, there is no way you can maintain the proper physical regimen necessary to pass BUD/S in the nuke pipeline.

Once the Navy has you, it's usually very difficult to cross-over into another rating, and nearly impossible for nukes. Recruiters like to tell you how it's possible to "do anything you want," but they never tell you that your chances are slim to none.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 06:36 by spekkio »

Offline BK3

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2010, 10:35 »
I have a friend here at Nuke School and Boot Camp who wanted to be a seal. During Seal briefs, they asked for anybody to come into another room if they were interested where he was told that if you are under contract as a Nuke, it's a no go. So I'm just confirming what was already posted basically... He got EM in case anybody was interested.

Offline Llewellyon

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2011, 08:11 »
What if you went in as a Naval Reactors Engineer, kept in good physical condition while enlisted, then when your contract was up you signed-up/transferred to the SEALS?

MacGyver

« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:15 »
No.  All 6 year active service enlisted obligation contracts have a rating of CREO6 (iirc, sp?), thus you are not allowed to leave your contract (unless you wash out) for another CREO6 contract (i.e. Nuke to SeAL or vice versa).  Therefore, Rule #1 is in affect - The Navy sets the Rules (a contract is a contract) or The Needs of the Navy.

Offline Llewellyon

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:24 »
I'm not saying you leave your contract. I'm saying wait until you've served your time under NUPOC, then when they ask whether you want to stay in or get out, say you want to join the SEALs.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:29 »
I'm not saying you leave your contract. I'm saying wait until you've served your time under NUPOC, then when they ask whether you want to stay in or get out, say you want to join the SEALs.

No, you can't.

All special programs are NNNA (Nukes need not apply).
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Llewellyon

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:35 »
So the Navy says, "If you don't want to keep being a nuke for us, then we don't want you in the Navy at all?"

MacGyver

« Reply #17 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:37 »
Refer to RULE #1.

Offline Llewellyon

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:53 »
So is there something officially on the books that says nukes can't be SEALs when their contracts are up, or is it just a rule of thumb? So let's say my nuke contract ended after some number of years. I left the Navy and went to OCS. If I say when I graduate that I want to be a SEAL, they'll look in my record and say, "You used to be a nuke, so you can't be a SEAL now or ever until the end of time?"

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2011, 03:49 »
Nah. My recruiter finished his nuke contract as a nuclear electrician, swapped over to NC, and then got reaped lol.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #20 on: Sep 16, 2011, 12:44 »
So is there something officially on the books that says nukes can't be SEALs when their contracts are up, or is it just a rule of thumb? So let's say my nuke contract ended after some number of years. I left the Navy and went to OCS. If I say when I graduate that I want to be a SEAL, they'll look in my record and say, "You used to be a nuke, so you can't be a SEAL now or ever until the end of time?"

If you go from enlisted to officer, it is possible. 

It is not possible otherwise.

cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #21 on: Sep 16, 2011, 01:44 »
Yeah, but the odds of going from enlisted to officer are nearly nil, from what I hear.

MacGyver

« Reply #22 on: Sep 16, 2011, 02:07 »
Yeah, but the odds of going from enlisted to officer are nearly nil, from what I hear.

I would like to add one caveat.

If you want to be a naval officer as a seal then you should go through enlisted and then OCS.  They take so few officers (eg majority enlisted) into buds and the fact that you don't have to go back through buds if you go this route makes it the preferred method to become a seal officer.  (This info doesn't factor in the needs for officers for that community.)

If you are talking about enlisted nuke to officer nuke then I agree.  Particularly right now.

drayer54

« Reply #23 on: Sep 16, 2011, 02:37 »
What if you went in as a Naval Reactors Engineer, kept in good physical condition while enlisted, then when your contract was up you signed-up/transferred to the SEALS?

What, are we not cool enough for you?

« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2011, 02:38 by Drayer »

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2011, 03:53 »

NREs are officers not enlisted.  I guess you could try your luck at a lateral transfer board.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?