Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu From Control Systems to Probabilistic Risk Analysis - Is it a good opportunity?

Author Topic: From Control Systems to Probabilistic Risk Analysis - Is it a good opportunity?  (Read 5830 times)

Offline logmeout

• Very Lite User
Hi,

I have an opportunity to change positions within my company and join a group that does PRA in the Nuclear industry. Currently, I am a "Control Systems" engineer who works on HMIs and PLCs for robotic tools used in repair and refurbishment work of reactors.

I am having a hard time determining if this is the right move. Although, I have made very good money due to working lots of OT in the field (but I am not sure if that will continue), I have not learned very much as I had previous experience as an CS integrator and management has not been very stable. I have been at this job for a year, and within that time span my group merged with another one, and I lost my initial director, manager, and supervisor. Also the long hours have been getting to me and the travel, I barely have a life.

But I don't know much about PRA and its future prospects. I don't think it has much scope outside of the nuclear industry (does anyone else use it? chemical plants maybe? whereas my current skill set is pretty industry generic - for anybody that requires industrial automation). Do you think this is or will be a useful/valuable skill to have?

It'd be great if someone could provide me a lil' advice or input. Also, I must add that I'm still fairly young, just 6 years out of school and this would be my fourth job switch, does that look bad even thought I left each time on my own terms for what I considered were better opportunities?

Thanks,
logmeout

Fermi2

If you're ready to be bored to tears and learn absolutely nothing then go PRA.

Offline logmeout

• Very Lite User
dang, seriously?

Fermi2

Why the hell would you ask seriously? I said it didn't I?

Offline logmeout

• Very Lite User
It was a pretty harsh response without any background details on how you came to this opinion. By seriously, I meant why do you think that?

dirac

You would probably learn a lot about Bayesian analysis and other statistical methods which are widely used in reliability engineering in any field. As far as the future of PRA, it will always be around in the nuke industry. I believe some plants are moving to Risk Analysis Tech Specs which if anything means it is a growing field.

Fermi2

You would probably learn a lot about Bayesian analysis and other statistical methods which are widely used in reliability engineering in any field. As far as the future of PRA, it will always be around in the nuke industry. I believe some plants are moving to Risk Analysis Tech Specs which if anything means it is a growing field.

You won't see Risk Analysis TS for years and years.

logmeout, it's a very static job based on research that has already been done. It's mostly computerized now. Other industries use it too, the nuke world mostly it's a finished product.

And no it wasn't a rude answer. I posted an answer, you stated "seriously?" NOT why do you think that? Learn to ask the question you want the answer to.

Offline logmeout

• Very Lite User
I didn't say it was rude. I meant it was harsh with respect to how you felt about PRA and I simply used "seriously?" in place of asking "why do you think it will bore me to tears?". My bad for not being explicit. So moving on.

Thanks for the answer.

« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2010, 11:55 by logmeout »

Offline logmeout

• Very Lite User
What are good jobs to learn about the operation of the plant?

Where is the $ in the nuclear industry? What roles are really needed and have a shortage of people?

If PSA is not it, what should I be looking for instead?

Thanks

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?