Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nukeworker courses/SRO Q's  

Author Topic: Nukeworker courses/SRO Q's  (Read 4909 times)

wayfarer

Nukeworker courses/SRO Q's
« on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:42 »
Hi all.  I've searched this site for the last 2 hours hoping my questions wouldn't be redundant so here goes:

I am getting out in about a year (9yr/ELT1).  I am confident of my quals, evals, degree etc. for competing, but still would like to further myself to stand out/learn. 

I was wondering which courses on Nukeworker would be beneficial for me to pursue.  There are a lot of Generation, Distribution & Safety courses, and then there is also the 40 hour HAZWOPER course.  Would I be wasting my time taking these courses in prep's for an Op's job?  (Hopefully an AO/NLO, preferably DSRO).  Any recommendations/advice?

Also, is there a list in existence of all the plants that offer DSRO spots?  I realize that may sound a bit arrogant, but I'm assuming all plants have some sort of NLO/AO spot so there is little guesswork there.  My top goal would be an SRO job at Palo Verde, but quality in the West/South West would do me well also.

Thanks for your time.

JustinHEMI05

Re: Nukeworker courses/SRO Q's
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:56 »
I don't think there is a defined list of utilities that offer instant sro or not, even if there was, you would still have to search all the jobs sites to find out who is hiring SROs, and then look at the qualifications to determine if they are hiring instant SROs. Exelon hires instants all the time, even 6 and outter ROs. Palo Verde experimented with instant SROs while I was there a few years back, but I am not sure the outcome, they may or may not be hiring instants these days. However, they are starting a license class in March, so it will be a few years before they hire for license class again. Assuming you get into a license class somewhere else, its going to be 5+ years before you can go to palo verde (unless you go NLO of course).

There are guys that will know in more detail which companies do hire instants and I am sure they will chime in.

Justin

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
Re: Nukeworker courses/SRO Q's
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:45 »
I don't think there is a defined list of utilities that offer instant sro or not, even if there was, you would still have to search all the jobs sites to find out who is hiring SROs, and then look at the qualifications to determine if they are hiring instant SROs. Exelon hires instants all the time, even 6 and outter ROs. Palo Verde experimented with instant SROs while I was there a few years back, but I am not sure the outcome, they may or may not be hiring instants these days. However, they are starting a license class in March, so it will be a few years before they hire for license class again. Assuming you get into a license class somewhere else, its going to be 5+ years before you can go to palo verde (unless you go NLO of course).

There are guys that will know in more detail which companies do hire instants and I am sure they will chime in.

Justin

DSRO hiring at my plant depends on how many slots they can fill internally from the NPO/SNO (AO/RO) path.  Those that they cannot fill from within their ranks, they will post externally for instants.  My plant historically has a relatively high turnover rate for SROs, which requires them to post more DSRO spots than perhaps a plant in a more hospitable climate would.

As a wise SRO (who was a license candidate at the time... and may or may not be named Justin ;)) told me about a year ago, if a plant is posting a lot of DSRO slots, it usually means cannot fill those positions from the preferred pipeline, and there is probably a reason for that...

The point of this response is that Entergy Plants will offer DSRO positions if they are needed.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?