Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Options for Chemistry / Computer Science BA

Author Topic: Options for Chemistry / Computer Science BA  (Read 6656 times)

NorskeDivision

Options for Chemistry / Computer Science BA
« on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:12 »
I've got a year and half left before I finish my BA, just to be clear.

Right now I'm leaning towards a double major in either chemistry and computer science. I'm looking at probably writing pearl (a programming language FYI) in some biology / genetics related field. That might be the best option for me career-wise.

But if were to get a job in the nuclear field, more specifically the nuclear energy field, what are good pathways for someone with a BA in chemistry and/or computer science? Obviously, if I had intended to get a job in the nuclear field I would have studied that right from the start, but the idea hadn't even occurred to me until recently. Do I just go apply at places, and if so, what jobs? Would it be best to pursue further education and qualifications?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2010, 10:12 by NorskeDivision »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Options for Chemistry / Computer Science BA
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2010, 05:23 »
I'm looking at probably writing pearl (a programming language FYI)

It's PERL, "FYI"

If you are halfway through a BA and still undecided on whether/what double major .... don't upset the applecart by making a hard right turn for nuclear. It's just not going to be a good fit academically.

Just my two kopecks worth...

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:17 »
I've got a year and half left before I finish my BA, just to be clear.

Right now I'm leaning towards a double major in either chemistry and computer science. I'm looking at probably writing pearl (a programming language FYI) in some biology / genetics related field. That might be the best option for me career-wise.

But if were to get a job in the nuclear field, more specifically the nuclear energy field, what are good pathways for someone with a BA in chemistry and/or computer science? Obviously, if I had intended to get a job in the nuclear field I would have studied that right from the start, but the idea hadn't even occurred to me until recently. Do I just go apply at places, and if so, what jobs? Would it be best to pursue further education and qualifications?

Thanks!

Nuclear plants, just like any other company, have IT departments where comp sci might work out well.  All nuclear plants also have chemistry departments - they do sampling and analysis to determine whats going on in the plant at any given time.

My 2 questions are:

1) Why is your chem and/or CompSci degree a BA?  Both of these would be BS degrees, unless they're some less technical version?

2) What is it you want to do in the nuclear energy field, and why do you want to do it?  An inquiry this random is hard to answer.  Are you talking about getting a nuclear engineering degree?  Any sort of engineering degree?

If you answer these, I may be able to provide a more accurate answer one I understand what kind of info you're really looking for.

NorskeDivision

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2010, 11:02 »
Nuclear plants, just like any other company, have IT departments where comp sci might work out well.  All nuclear plants also have chemistry departments - they do sampling and analysis to determine whats going on in the plant at any given time.

My 2 questions are:

1) Why is your chem and/or CompSci degree a BA?  Both of these would be BS degrees, unless they're some less technical version?
:o

You know, I've not filled out any applications, so this distinction had never even come to mind, I had simply assumed BS and BA were interchangeable. They are both BS, not BA.

2) What is it you want to do in the nuclear energy field, and why do you want to do it?  An inquiry this random is hard to answer.  Are you talking about getting a nuclear engineering degree?  Any sort of engineering degree?

If you answer these, I may be able to provide a more accurate answer one I understand what kind of info you're really looking for.

That's tough, to be honest the simple idea of working in the nuclear energy industry seems appealing. I always liked the idea, but thought it was a doomed industry after TMI and Carter. Now I see various stories about a large number of available jobs. It brought me to wondering if my background would lend itself to anything in said industry, probably it doesn't.

Of course NLO could be an option, but I feel like I'll be over-qualified (yes, no?) for that and would rather stick with my current path, I think. If I'm not satisfied or can't find work in my chosen field, I can always apply for a job and training as an NLO.

If I were to get a graduate degree in nuclear engineering, what work would that set me up for? Which positions? I have a strong background in math and obviously science, so it seems do-able from a academic point of view for me.

NorskeDivision

« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2010, 11:06 »
It's PERL, "FYI"

If you are halfway through a BA and still undecided on whether/what double major .... don't upset the applecart by making a hard right turn for nuclear. It's just not going to be a good fit academically.

Just my two kopecks worth...

eek, damn browser spell check. Yeah, I'm doing the bio-informatics specific courses next year, so I've yet to dip into Perl, I just know it's the standard language.

You are probably right about not upsetting the apple cart, but I thought I'd check out what sort of opportunities are available.

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:16 »
:o

You know, I've not filled out any applications, so this distinction had never even come to mind, I had simply assumed BS and BA were interchangeable. They are both BS, not BA.

That's tough, to be honest the simple idea of working in the nuclear energy industry seems appealing. I always liked the idea, but thought it was a doomed industry after TMI and Carter. Now I see various stories about a large number of available jobs. It brought me to wondering if my background would lend itself to anything in said industry, probably it doesn't.

Of course NLO could be an option, but I feel like I'll be over-qualified (yes, no?) for that and would rather stick with my current path, I think. If I'm not satisfied or can't find work in my chosen field, I can always apply for a job and training as an NLO.

If I were to get a graduate degree in nuclear engineering, what work would that set me up for? Which positions? I have a strong background in math and obviously science, so it seems do-able from a academic point of view for me.

For your information, nothing you could do in the non-nuclear world would make you overqualified to be an NLO.  It is not an easy job, and comes with alot of responsibility.  It is also, by far, the best (and maybe the only) way to work in nuclear plant operations without any previous nuclear experience. 

A nuclear engineering degree would set you up to work in the engineering department, in one of many sub-departments or groups - reactor engineering, nuclear fuel engineering, core design etc etc.  It could also set you up to work in the biomedical or medical field.  Any other kind of engineering degree could get you into one of the many other engineering departments.  A chem degree could get you into chemistry etc etc.

My suggestion is to do some soul searching and find out what you want to do (and its ok to not know now).  My suggestion of what not to do is select a carear path (nuclear or otherwise) without knowing exactly what you will be doing with it - regardless of the pay scale.  A masters in nuclear engineering is going to tie you to a field, unless you're willing to throw away the cash you spent on the degree, and if it turns out you don't want to work in the field when all is said and done - then you just wasted alot of time and money.

I hope this helped, feel free to PM me if you have anything you'd like to discuss...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?