Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Signing a contract while waiting for waivers for nuke
honeypot

Author Topic: Signing a contract while waiting for waivers for nuke  (Read 5760 times)

justjohnny

Recruiter just showed up at my door today, saying I need to lock into a job other than nuke while waiting for the waivers. The waivers will take an additional week (D's in highschool, traffic violations), but I'm not sure that by signing a contract other than the Nuke contract sounds right at all. Is it possible to switch to Nuke before boot? Has this happened before? Will the bonus be the same?

I'm sorry if I'm a little scattered, it just seems too abrupt. This is my first post, and I'm really psyched about going nuke, but I want to be sure if this is proper protocol.

co60slr

Re: Signing a contract while waiting for waivers for nuke
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:16 »
Recruiter just showed up at my door today, saying I need to lock into a job other than nuke while waiting for the waivers. The waivers will take an additional week (D's in highschool, traffic violations), but I'm not sure that by signing a contract other than the Nuke contract sounds right at all. Is it possible to switch to Nuke before boot? Has this happened before? Will the bonus be the same?

I'm sorry if I'm a little scattered, it just seems too abrupt. This is my first post, and I'm really psyched about going nuke, but I want to be sure if this is proper protocol.
Did you ask him why you had to lock into a job you don't want?  What happens if you just wait another week for the waivers?  Or...are you willing to enlist for something other than Nuclear (i.e., anything)?

If you don't plan on joining the non-nuclear Navy, then you have your answer.  If you're happy with either choice, then sign away.

justjohnny

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:23 »
He said that when the waivers go through, Nuke has priority. Again, however, I'm signing a contract. I'm not sure if common sense is helping me here :(

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2010, 04:38 »
He said that when the waivers go through, Nuke has priority. Again, however, I'm signing a contract. I'm not sure if common sense is helping me here :(

Never sign a contract if you are not willing to put up with the conditions. Never sign a contract on a promise to change it later. Never sign a contract under any duress. If you want to be a Nuke, sign ONLY a Nuke contract. The recruiter has a quota and if he can't get you what you want he will get you what HE wants. Never sign a contract if it isn't what you want.

Sorry to be blunt, but is that clear enough?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:39 »
Never sign a contract if you are not willing to put up with the conditions. Never sign a contract on a promise to change it later. Never sign a contract under any duress. If you want to be a Nuke, sign ONLY a Nuke contract. The recruiter has a quota and if he can't get you what you want he will get you what HE wants. Never sign a contract if it isn't what you want.

Sorry to be blunt, but is that clear enough?

@#$%, the used car man swore that he was giving me a great deal and that if I did not act now, the guy waiting in the lobby to speak with him was going to get it.

Nukeworker rule #6
6. Sexual innuendo and profanity. Keep the site PG-13, kids visit this site, the NRC visits this site, the Secret Service visits this site, Managers visit this site, I visit the site, good Christian people visit the site, etc. If it's questionable, don't do it. Let's just say that if you're going  to post something that really needs the questionable language to achieve the desired humorous effect put it in the 'Bathroom Wall' in the donors only area, so those that choose not to go there will not be exposed to it. Got it? If you're in the middle of a thread and feel the need for an expletive, can we maybe star out some of the letters or something?
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2010, 06:31 by Marlin »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2010, 10:10 »
Recruiter just showed up at my door today

Like a traveling encyclopedia or Fuller Brush guy ?! how quaint indeed!  ;)

Offline greenbean

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2010, 01:00 »
Do not let the recruiters push you around. Right now you are a civilian and you can do whatever you want. Once you sign a contract you are held to the terms of that agreement and you are LOCKED into that agreement.

Just because you "should" get a nuke spot doesn't mean you will. Sign the papers that say you "ARE" getting a nuke spot.

Once your in, you'll get pushed all over the place, but at least it will be in the community you want to be in.

Thanks for your service.
neutrons... Neutrons... NEUTRONS!

Maziwrath

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2010, 02:47 »
I signed a contract other than Nuke while I was waiting for a spot to open up. The reasoning was that when you go to MEPS for the physical and then in order to swear in and everything you need to sign a contract. Signing a new contract and voiding the old one can be done at the recruiting office, therefore you'd be all ready to go when the time comes. I'm sure that's all it is.

Offline greenbean

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2010, 03:07 »
The papers we sign include:
1) Original application and specified community the applicant desires. This form kicks off the background check and gets you in line for MEPS.

2) Actual contract service agreement (after MEPS and with all waivers approved if applicable) which states the community you are going into. This is the contract that puts you in the military. At any time before signing this one, you can back out.

So if you have to wait for a spot and wait to go to MEPS, why not wait for the actual contract you will sign? If a spot doesn't open up and you go to MEPS can you just tell them "oh wait, I didn't want this" and get out? That doesn't really look good if you want to be in the nuclear navy and the timing just didn't work out.

Certain times of the year see larger numbers of applicants (typically January, May and August I believe). So just wait for a slim month and get what you want from the start.

I'm glad it worked out for you Maziwrath.

my 2 cents are way up...
neutrons... Neutrons... NEUTRONS!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?