Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu DEP getting ready to take the nuke test.

Author Topic: DEP getting ready to take the nuke test.  (Read 15557 times)

infuror

DEP getting ready to take the nuke test.
« on: Feb 18, 2010, 02:07 »
I took my ASVAB test on Tues. and qualified for the Nuke program and am scheduled to take the test next Tues. I just wanted to know what is going to be on the test and what subjects I should study to prepare.

Thanks.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: DEP getting ready to take the nuke test.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2010, 02:59 »
Ok, normally I don't berate new guys.  I'm usually more than happy to help people with questions.  But you caught me on a bad day.

Step 1:
Search the forums.  There is a thread with no less than SEVENTY (70) posts discussing this very topic.
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,6442.0/all.html

Step 2:
If you feel that your question still hasn't been answered, go ahead and start a new thread IN THE APPROPRIATE CATEGORY.  See that subcategory called Navy:Getting In...  Guess what?  That's where you belong.

Step 3:
Good luck, and thank you for your service.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2010, 03:00 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2010, 04:29 »
Sniff sniff a tear is coming to my jaded eyes :)

Offline Jester

• Light User
  • Potential Nuke
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2010, 05:52 »
The NAPT is 80 questions long, you need 50 to pass. If you were close to the NUC line score on the ASVAB but did not reach it, you will need to get 50 + the difference between your line score and the score required to qualify.

You will be given a pencil, a calculator, the test, and a paper to put your answers on. It is multiple choice, so answering a question means filling in a little square.

The questions are algebra, geometry, basic chemistry, and basic physics.

On my test, there was no trigonometry used, but you should know the Pythagorean, but solving algebraic equations, finding areas and volumes, sums of interior angles, and names and types of polygons.

The chemistry portion covered basic knowledge of atom construction and numbering, pH levels, chemical reaction balancing, and counting atoms in a molecule.

For physics, you should have an understanding of momentum and the conservation of momentum, how leverage and mechanical advantage works, and solving time, distance, velocity, and acceleration equations.

Sticky me?
Potential Nuke - Help me learn!

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:42 »
The NAPT is 80 questions long, you need 50 to pass. If you were close to the NUC line score on the ASVAB but did not reach it, you will need to get 50 + the difference between your line score and the score required to qualify.

You will be given a pencil, a calculator, the test, and a paper to put your answers on. It is multiple choice, so answering a question means filling in a little square.

The questions are algebra, geometry, basic chemistry, and basic physics.

On my test, there was no trigonometry used, but you should know the Pythagorean, but solving algebraic equations, finding areas and volumes, sums of interior angles, and names and types of polygons.

The chemistry portion covered basic knowledge of atom construction and numbering, pH levels, chemical reaction balancing, and counting atoms in a molecule.

For physics, you should have an understanding of momentum and the conservation of momentum, how leverage and mechanical advantage works, and solving time, distance, velocity, and acceleration equations.

Sticky me?

This pretty much sums it up perfectly. Well done.

Offline Jester

• Light User
  • Potential Nuke
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2010, 05:31 »
This pretty much sums it up perfectly. Well done.

I took the test recently, so it's pretty fresh in my memory.

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2010, 05:52 »
I took the test recently, so it's pretty fresh in my memory.

Me too. July '09  :) I fully expected to click on this thread originally and submit an answer. Much to my surprise, my thoughts and advice had already been posted.

Offline Jester

• Light User
  • Potential Nuke
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2010, 06:04 »
Me too. July '09  :) I fully expected to click on this thread originally and submit an answer. Much to my surprise, my thoughts and advice had already been posted.

Well I'm glad I saved you the time! Though I took it somewhat more recently than you: 2 weeks ago.

Possible

« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2010, 11:07 »
I apologize if this question has already been asked before, but regarding the calculator that they allow you to use: I am wondering if they'll let me use my shiny TI-89... I know its overkill for polynomials, and its not like its more advanced features will be needed, but I am wondering if they outlaw some calculators, like in college Calc classes?
Outlaw some calculators? When I was in high school I took a college Calc class....they outlawed all calculators. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Too many calculators in today's schools if you ask me.

I had one of those shiny TI-89's for math team. If you were so inclined, you could probably find programs that would solve pretty much any problem on that test for you without actually knowing anything about what you are doing. That doesn't even include the advantage of text files you can put on there. The real question you should ask yourself is should you use that shiny new TI-89. Even if it is allowed, I'm thinking you'll probably be hurting yourself in the long run as that test is there for a reason, and that reason isn't to test your ability to get creative with a calculator or create massive text files explaining different concepts.

I'm not sure if you can use it or not as I auto qualified for NF, and while I've yet to head to boot camp much less Nuke school, I have to think you wouldn't be doing yourself any favors by taking the easy way out. From everything I've read becoming a Nuke requires massive amounts of studying so at the very least trying to pick up good study habits now will save you many headaches down the road.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2010, 11:43 »
When I went to Nuke school (20 years ago) we used, I think, TI-85's.  I do remember that they were not programmable, i.e. you could not load saved programs.  That was for tests though.  Most of us (except for one uber-geek that should have been an ET) didn't even know calculators could do more than +, -, X, divide, and =   ;D ;D ;D
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

leftovers

« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2010, 05:26 »
Outlaw some calculators? When I was in high school I took a college Calc class....they outlawed all calculators. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Too many calculators in today's schools if you ask me.

I had one of those shiny TI-89's for math team. If you were so inclined, you could probably find programs that would solve pretty much any problem on that test for you without actually knowing anything about what you are doing. That doesn't even include the advantage of text files you can put on there. The real question you should ask yourself is should you use that shiny new TI-89. Even if it is allowed, I'm thinking you'll probably be hurting yourself in the long run as that test is there for a reason, and that reason isn't to test your ability to get creative with a calculator or create massive text files explaining different concepts.

I'm not sure if you can use it or not as I auto qualified for NF, and while I've yet to head to boot camp much less Nuke school, I have to think you wouldn't be doing yourself any favors by taking the easy way out. From everything I've read becoming a Nuke requires massive amounts of studying so at the very least trying to pick up good study habits now will save you many headaches down the road.

Had a TI-89 in High School...armed with this and a very basic understanding of the BASIC programming language I was able to create a program for almost every new concept I learned from Algebra I through Pre-Calc.  As a result I remember very little of things I didn't already understand (after about 3/4 of the way through Algebra II I stopped remembering).  Haven't used it since...took a really basic TI-32 or whatever the weakest calculator with trig functions is to College.

For the question, I also auto-qualified so I'm not sure from experience, but did find this:

http://www.navycs.com/navy-nuclear-power-test.html

Based on that list of things that aren't allowed, most of the TI graphing calculators are probably ok, although I believe there is a TI-92 of some description that has a QWERTY keyboard.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2010, 05:28 by leftovers »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2010, 07:46 »
No graphing calculators or calculators that have program memory capability are allowed.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

shocker

« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2010, 02:25 »
I've heard that many users are starting to have failing memory issues with that model :-P

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2010, 07:51 »
Actually, when Marssim went to prototype at Oklo, they were using the abacus :P
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Jester

• Light User
  • Potential Nuke
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2010, 08:35 »
I apologize if this question has already been asked before, but regarding the calculator that they allow you to use: I am wondering if they'll let me use my shiny TI-89... I know its overkill for polynomials, and its not like its more advanced features will be needed, but I am wondering if they outlaw some calculators, like in college Calc classes?

Would be grateful if anyone could fill me in.

If you know much math, you won't really need a calculator. There's no question that requires graphing and no question that goes deeper than 1 or 2 decimals.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?