Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Trojan ISFSI

Author Topic: Trojan ISFSI  (Read 9368 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Trojan ISFSI
« on: Feb 21, 2010, 05:09 »
Open questions to anyone, but figured one of the Trojan ISFSI guys might remember...

We used Kevlar slings on the cask lid...

1.  Was this only on the first (aborted) project?  ...or did we use them on the successful ISFSI, too?  (It's been so long ago that the two projects have blurred together for me...)
2.  We had problems with a milky-looking liquid coming out of the slings when they got wet...what was its chemical makeup?  How did we decide it was okay to continue to put the slings in the pool with an obvious discharge of chemicals?
3.  How did we address the issue of sling life in a wet/borated environment?

Thanks!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
Re: Trojan ISFSI
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2010, 03:29 »
From what i remember about the "successful"  ISFSI, we did not use Kevlar slings but metal braided slings for putting the lid on after we put fuel into the MPC. Thats what we use where iam at for when we do ISFSI's too. At Trojan, we never had the "milky-looking liquid" thing for the second ISFSI but heard the stories in training about it.
The green material'd slings we used at Trojan were for the Downloading of the MPC into the Hi-storm, not sure if they were Kevlar or not.
Gosh, i forgot YOU were there for part of that "successful" ISFSI!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:24 »
From what i remember about the "successful"  ISFSI, we did not use Kevlar slings but metal braided slings for putting the lid on after we put fuel into the MPC. Thats what we use where iam at for when we do ISFSI's too. At Trojan, we never had the "milky-looking liquid" thing for the second ISFSI but heard the stories in training about it.
The green material'd slings we used at Trojan were for the Downloading of the MPC into the Hi-storm, not sure if they were Kevlar or not.
Gosh, i forgot YOU were there for part of that "successful" ISFSI!

Thanks, 'Randy'.  I'm starting to realize we did pitch them after the fiasco ISFSI...Cantankerous Bob & one of the ironworkers have memories of the Kevlar, but no one that was only on the second job seems to.

Yeah, I only hung around for a couple of casks on that 2nd job...  :/

There are way too many unanswered questions.  I would not authorize the use of "soft" slings in a SFP until some guy with a huge brain put his cajones in the frying pan and said it was OK.

Sounds right...
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 07:30 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2022, 01:52 »
Looking for input from anyone who was on either of the ISFSI runs. Currently doing job planning for their Aging Management Program (Cask inspections, etc). Some evolutions (lid & shield ring) will be same as we did when we loaded & I want to verify I remember what tools & procedures we used.

Thank you for any replies to thread...or via PM...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2023, 09:13 »
Are any NukeWorkers there for this year's inspections? How is it going?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?