Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advancement Path Timeline honeypot

Author Topic: Advancement Path Timeline  (Read 9275 times)

shocker

Advancement Path Timeline
« on: Feb 22, 2010, 04:16 »
I ship out in October for Great Lakes but am trying to work out a realistic expectation of my advancement path from an Enlisted Nuke onwards.  I've read quite a few posts about the various programs but due to my educational history have a few questions as to what will be available to me.

Background - 99 ASVAB, Pre-Qual Nuke, 30 credit hours to graduation with a B.S. in Finance.

My tentative goal for the Navy - Finish my degree in Finance (and perhaps engineering as well after NNPTS) and become a non-nuclear officer.  After becoming an officer apply for the LEP program to become a member of the JAG Corps (http://www.jag.navy.mil/careers_/careers/opportunities_lep.html).

After talking with the college I attended until last semester, if I take two courses from their university, credits from NNPTC, and 1 filler course from any online university I will be able to get my degree in Finance.  Would I be eligible for STA-21 with such a short period of study (1 semester)?

If I am eligible would I be free to return to my current university to finish in person rather than online?

If I stay in the NF rating how likely will I be picked for STA-21?  I have seen mention that current Students at A school are preferred in some cases.  Would that be for a purely Nuclear Officer track?

If anyone has any further information on the LEP program I would appreciate any knowledge you would have to share.  I have not been able to find any more than what is on the website listed above.  My recruiters were not even aware of the program until I brought it up to them.

Does it seem like I am going for too much between Nuke and JAG in such a short period of time (LEP has a 6 year max active-duty service for eligibility)?  Would it perhaps be better if I went into a different rate with less training initially and attempted to jump start the STA-21 process?
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 04:21 by shocker »

Fermi2

Re: Advancement Path Timeline
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2010, 04:45 »
Key words. NUKEWORKER not JAGWORKER

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2010, 04:49 »
I am not an expert by any means, but I will pass on some advice given by others on this board (by the way, much like gravity, the search function works).  If you want to be an Officer, join through an Officer program (ROTC, USNA, NUPOC, etc...).  If you want to be an enlisted, then enlist.  The number of people that get picked up for STA-21 is exceedingly small compared to the number that actually apply.  Hope this helps.

try this search for some helpful info
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=search2
or these
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,17499.0.HTML
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,7388.0.HTML
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,13741.0.HTML
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,11017.0.HTML
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,16171.0.HTML
or this
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,17568.0.html
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2010, 05:38 »
Key words. NUKEWORKER not JAGWORKER

- Dr. Pepper spray on the screen - lol

But given a choice at age 40 between: ending up another overfed,overpaid MM to AUO to UO to SRO versus being a slim, suave handsome JAG lawyer like Lt. Harmon Rabb filing writs of mandamus and certiorari , who wouldn't leap at the opportunity. I ask you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, which sounds more satisfying deep down, announcing " Rx at the POAH " or hearing the dulcet intonations of "objection sustained" ??

p.s. There are maybe 20,000 RO and SRO licenses nationwide. There are 20,000 lawyers in Los Angeles county alone. Who is the elite? ;)

shocker

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:00 »
I really do appreciate the replies.  I figured I'd get about that type of reply from Broad based on the posts of his I've read :-P  I realize I may not have been clear enough with "read a few posts about it" as I tend to understate.  I read the thread of useful links in its entirety before making the post earlier.  Most of my questions are not answered in those threads and as there are a LOT of people who have experience with the different schools, and career paths the Navy had to offer I was hoping to find some clarification.

I realize the parts about LEP may not be able to be answered here.  It definitely isn't JAG worker but with the amount of knowledgable posters on the board it couldn't hurt to see if anyone knew any more details.

To cruse - I appreciate the links again, to clarify I will explain why the threads were not helpful to me.

[Edited out a wall of clarification text no longer relevant]

Now to clarify on my eligibility as of today.  I am ineligible for NROTC, USNA, and the BDCP due to age and number of credit hours already obtained, and for a lackluster GPA due to a lack of focus over the last year.  Liberal arts education and 20+ hours of "free electives" at a less than stellar school are my downfall.  NUPOC I would be eligible for if I completed my degree, but my GPA hinders any current financial aid and I do not wish to wait tables any more in the mean time.

Therefore I have come up with the path I mentioned in the first post of going through various programs and advancements through the Navy.  If that path is not possible I will enlist and take advantage of the GI Bill to pay for Law school and the last 3 courses I would need for my undergraduate degree.  At that point I would once again look at Naval Reserves or another branch as I do wish to serve as a JAG officer for some length of time.

Again I appreciate the replies, and look forward to new insights.  I hope I don't come off as attacking through this post - the internet has a funny way of distorting the intent of words :-)

*edit* Of course after all that time reading page after page of useful threads not locked for discussion, I accidentally scroll down on the first page of the Navy Nuke section and see a list of threads I had not previously seen, and the first post - a locked post at that - pretty much answered many of my questions... http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,22902.0.html

Based on this my second plan of enlisting for a short time then finishing my undergrad and JD on my own dime and applying as a prior-enlisted civilian for JAG to one of the branches seems like the most reliable option.  Is that a safe conclusion?
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 07:27 by shocker »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:32 »
Based on this my second plan of enlisting for a short time then finishing my undergrad and JD on my own dime and applying as a prior-enlisted civilian for JAG to one of the branches seems like the most reliable option.  Is that a safe conclusion?

Yes, in my rambling obtuse way that's what I was hinting at, plus you would have nuclear power experience to fall back on if the JAG option didn't pan out as you had hoped.

+K to ya !

shocker

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:18 »
Appreciate it. It's nice to have a resource like this available to soon-to-be-nubs like myself.  The recruiters, brochures, and websites make the enlisted to officer paths sound like a cake walk, especially for a nuke! "Navy loves to keep their nukes!"  Guess it wasn't a lie though, they like to keep their nukes nukes.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:15 »
they like to keep their nukes nukes.
You nailed it right on the head.  Nuke path is like a check valve (which in the Navy means something different) one way.  There is no cross-rate to another rating once a nuke, unless disqualified for some reason.  There is (almost) no Individual Augmentee (IA, the Sailors in Iraq and Afghanistan) for nukes (yes it happens but it's difficult and rare).  Almost all special programs or really interesting jobs in the Navy have nukes need not apply as a footnote.  But, it's also rare that you will be downsized out of a job, "asked" to retire early, or sent to a hot dry place against your will.  Like all things, there are pluses and minuses.  So as I tell my kids, "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit".  If you don't like it, do your time, do your job, get the F out and go find something else you love to do.
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2010, 11:30 »
Although I have nothing useful to add, I just wanted to say thank you for demonstrating how a new user should conduct themselves here. There are those who should learn from your example. Thank you and good luck, I hope you find the answers you need and things work out the way you plan.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2010, 11:57 »
Oh Yeah, and Ditto what JH said  ;D(forgot to say that before, but I meant it)

Offline LivinginParadise

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2010, 11:14 »
You nailed it right on the head.  Nuke path is like a check valve (which in the Navy means something different) one way.  There is no cross-rate to another rating once a nuke, unless disqualified for some reason.  There is (almost) no Individual Augmentee (IA, the Sailors in Iraq and Afghanistan) for nukes (yes it happens but it's difficult and rare).  Almost all special programs or really interesting jobs in the Navy have nukes need not apply as a footnote.  But, it's also rare that you will be downsized out of a job, "asked" to retire early, or sent to a hot dry place against your will.  Like all things, there are pluses and minuses.  So as I tell my kids, "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit".  If you don't like it, do your time, do your job, get the F out and go find something else you love to do.

Hot, noisy, and full of some of the most ungodly things you've ever imagined on the other hand....  ;D ;D ;D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?