Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Vermont Yankee on the ropes

Author Topic: Vermont Yankee on the ropes  (Read 24048 times)

IPREGEN

Vermont Yankee on the ropes
« on: Feb 25, 2010, 09:41 »
From a NY Times article. There was a vote yesterday to deny license extension.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/us/25nuke.html

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
Re: Vermont Yankee on the ropes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2010, 12:37 »
From a NY Times article. There was a vote yesterday to deny license extension.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/us/25nuke.html

To the best of my knowledge VT is the only state that has a law requiring state approval for relicensing of nuclear plants.  Entergy is heavily invested in VY, especially considering their plan to spin off a few assets into a new company - losing a single asset does alot of damage to that plan.

The bottom line is that VT cannot replace the power that VY currently supplies for anywhere near the price that they currently pay for electricity.  Even if VY cannot convince the state that this is important to their economy, and that all of the lost permanent and outage jobs will further hurt them, I don't think you've heard the end of this.

My guess is Entergy will challenge in federal court the state law that VT has enacted allowing them to deny the relicensing, on the grounds that the NRC has exclusive rights to license a nuke. 

Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be interesting and potentially very bitter...

Offline koop225

• Light User
Vermont Yankee
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2010, 12:57 »
Does anyone know if the decommission for vermont yankee is definite? If it is does anyone know who has the contract to do it?......Thanks

Fermi2

Re: Vermont Yankee
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2010, 01:27 »
Don't they have a License Extension Application in?

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2010, 01:39 »
MONTPELIER - In a rare case of state involvement in nuclear regulation, the Vermont Senate voted 26 to 4 yesterday to block a license extension for the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant, citing radioactive leaks, misstatements in testimony by plant officials, and other problems.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2010/02/25/vt_senate_votes_to_close_yankee_power_plant/
and original discussion on nukeworker
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,23219.0.html
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2010, 01:49 »
Yes but in the past the courts have routinely ruled a state law in regards to Nuclear Regulation cannot over rule a NRC Rule or activity.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2010, 06:40 »
To use a Monty Python line.....

I'm not dead yet...

The legislature voted to prevent the Public Service Board from issuing a Certificate of Public Good - this is one of the steps needed to obtain state final approval of an NRC license extension (which is still pending...)

We are completing another breaker to breaker run, capacity and capability factors are running as good as we have ever had them. The fat lady isn't even warming her voice up yet... :D

But thanks for asking... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:32 »
Don't they have a License Extension Application in?

Vermont is the only state that has given itself the right to deny a utility to use its NRC license.  In essence, they have a law on the books that says the legislature and PSC must approve of the continuing operations of VY. 

Most likely, the NRC will approve the 20 year extension (my opinion based solely on their track record).  Theoretically, Vermont can prevent the continued operation of the plant based on state law regardless of the status of the NRC license extension - which is what this vote was.

As you can imagine, if they attempt to uphold this after the NRC has granted the license renewal, their will be significant challenges as to the legality of the state forcing a plant to close that is in theory regulated by the federal government.  It should get very interesting at the very least.

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:37 »
My point is everytime a State has tried this they've lost in court.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2010, 05:03 »
State vs. Fed's...... ::)

MONTPELIER - In a rare case of state involvement in nuclear regulation, the Vermont Senate voted 26 to 4 yesterday to block a license extension for the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant, citing radioactive leaks, misstatements in testimony by plant officials, and other problems.

WOW, Vermont actually has a Senate....... :o

RG!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2010, 04:35 »
There is some interesting info regarding the tritium leak here :

http://yesvy.blogspot.com/

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:34 »
Thanks for that info HD - there is limited stuff I can post, for obvious reasons...

;)
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline carr6433

• Lurker
« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2010, 11:00 »
I just saw on Entergy's website that they're hiring a new class of Aux Operators.  Is it worth applying?  VY might close in as little as two years.  When are they planning the class?  the typical pipeline for AOs could take a year to see qualified operators, then they work there for another year, then what?  Back to job hunting?

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Jun 08, 2010, 05:44 »
VY is a cash cow of a plant for Entergy.  VT needs the electricity produced by VY, and as the looming shutdown approaches, it will become glaringly more obvious that the greenest solution is to extend VY's license.

Entergy will be challenging first the denial from the state, and then the right of the state to deny a federal license.  The battle is far from over, and hiring for another NLO class is just another sign that Entergy believes that VY will continue to operate.

tselby

« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2010, 06:42 »
I work for entergy not @ VY but @ Fitz, entergy cancelled its planned spin off of all northeast utilities, check the future on that one, entergy will be in a battle not only at VY but also at Pilgrim which is having problems with mass about its license extension and as we all know indian point is battling with all the ultra liberals from NYC and NYS for its license renewal.......

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2010, 08:21 »
All the utilities should bend to the people's wishes. Why not? The people speak and you should follow. Close all those New England power plants.
THEN...next year when the cost of just about everything goes up you can say "you asked for it'.
Forget about losing the jobs. You are not important. The masses are. You can be taken care of by the new government. Of course you will be making much less. But The People Have Spoken. Nuff said.

ISOCS

« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2010, 06:51 »
VY will stay open because all they have to do is keep the request for an extension open. Even if it gets turned down they can keep it in the courts for a dozen years.

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2010, 08:04 »
They voted to close down one of the best plants I ever worked at - Rancho Seco in California mid 80's (which is why I still smile when they have black outs and other energy problems).  Zion management kept their heads in the sand saying we're too important to be closed down, look how close to Chicago we are, they need us.  You saw what that end result was.  Vermont is a beautiful state but mainly far left tree huggers living there so don't think the people won't push to shut VY down once the license runs out.   
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2011, 04:12 »
Well, the NRC is going to issue us the license extension.

Word just came through on their news feed....

Now to get the state (and we are the only ones that have this issue) to agree with it...

But things is lookin up !!

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2011, 04:35 »
Does anyone know if the decommission for vermont yankee is definite? If it is does anyone know who has the contract to do it?......Thanks

Slow down there Koop, you just keep that horse of yours tied up right where you're at. There aint gonna be no decommissioning at VY anytime soon. Like in the next 20 years or so, by then you'll be old and gray. That there plant has a lot of cheap, clean, green electricity left in her. Even tree huggers are starting to see that.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2011, 08:57 »
I just saw on Entergy's website that they're hiring a new class of Aux Operators.  Is it worth applying?  VY might close in as little as two years.  When are they planning the class?  the typical pipeline for AOs could take a year to see qualified operators, then they work there for another year, then what?  Back to job hunting?

A simple answer is yes it is worth it.  In your worst case scenario, you do a internal transfer to another Entergy plant that needs Operations personnel. By then you will have proven to be a valuable resource (operators that can qualify) So there is less risk for another Operations department to bring you onboard.

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2011, 09:07 »
Congratulations to VY.  Now work it out with the state.

Breaking news from the Brattleboro Reformer,
It is being reported that there are Major traffic accidents involving Saabs and Volvos as activists try to leave the state and head for the state liquor store in Hinsdale NH.  As told to this reporter by one activist leaving the state, “I need to get all the booze I possibly can to null the pain our federal government has inflicted upon us today.”  

It is anticipated that possibly hundreds of ex-hippy type trust fund babies that made their way to southern Vermont back in the 1970s will soon be evacuating the area for safer shores such as those on Long Island Sound where the risk of nuclear disaster is far less of a concern.  When this reporter tried to explain to one ex-hippy type that there are nuclear plants located near Groton CT, it’s response was, “Our next goal will be to shut down the Millstone reactors starting with Unit III." At that point of the conversation I had to give up as there was no reasoning with the individual.

It is this reporters hope that one day all the ex-hippy type trust fund babies, draft dodging, rat tailed beings will hop into their Saabs, Volvos, and a few Subarus and head back to the land of their youth thus giving Vermont back to Vermonters.

LM
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2011, 02:42 by Laundry Man »

nukewood

« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2011, 02:40 »
As a native Vermonter living in exile on the "left coast". I second that idea.

LaFeet

« Reply #23 on: Jul 14, 2011, 07:49 »
The residents of Vernon, Vt. should start the "Let's go back to New Hampshire" talk again.  Bet that would shake up the Vermont government (again).    Last I heard was that they wanted to use the forest for electricity...... it's renewable... and a huge carbon emmitter toooooooo

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #24 on: Jul 25, 2011, 08:28 »
Looks like the Board decided that they were "All In"

8)

Entergy Moving Forward With Vermont Yankee Refueling

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ETR/1334937814x0x485369/c5fea82d-daad-4885-9a9e-57027a129428/VY_REFUEL.pdf

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?