Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Out of field for a while

Author Topic: Out of field for a while  (Read 9863 times)

juggernaut

Out of field for a while
« on: Jun 19, 2004, 08:35 »
Hello all,

First post here.  I've been out of the Navy since 1996 and have not been in the nuclear power field that whole time.  Now I am considering getting back into it and would like some advice.

BTW, I was in the Navy for 8 years as a MM/ELT and also went to RadCon Maintenance School and worked on a subtender in their Radiological Controls division.  I have not finished getting a degree but have worked on one off and on since leaving the Navy.  Since my EAOS, I have worked as a Maintenance Supervisor at retirement homes, basically a jack of all trades type of job.

Anyway, on to my questions:

1-What's the pay like in the civilian world of nuclear power?

2-What would be my best step to help me get my foot in the door?

3-Have I just been away too long?

TIA for any and all help.

Juggernaut

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Out of field for a while
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2004, 10:22 »
Sounds like you could walk into the commercial field without problem, the only question is the position you would fill.

RADCON: talk to a contract company (Bartlett is great on stuff like this, but some of the other ones should be able to help you out if they need people.) Pay varies with region and by utility and short term vice long term jobs. For example, $20 an hour for Sr. HP Tech + Per Diem is similar to $28 an hour without Per Diem. DOE is also a possibility, and Bartlett can give some detail. They have a link here.

OPS: Check out some of the other threads on this topic, and then go to websites for each of the utilities you would work. For example, I would check out TVA, Duke, Progress Energy, and Southern Power: those are the only areas I am willing to work at this time.

Give us more info, and we will be happy to give more advice. GOOD LUCK!!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

juggernaut

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2004, 11:06 »
Thanks for the response.  It's good to know that getting back into the nuclear field is an option.  Now I just have to decided whether to finish getting MCSA certified (microsoft certified systems administrator), or changing direction and effort over to the nuclear field.  How is the nuclear job market?  Compared say to information technology?  Any guesses?

Thanks again,

Juggernaut

jjordan

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2004, 04:04 »
Go to some of the utilities web sites and see who is hiring for what positions. We have an IT opening here at Brunswick, also seem to need operator from time to time, also many other positions at our sister plants as well. Look on this site at the job postings also, there are links to a lot of utility web sites and also many contract companies.
Good luck,
JJ ;D

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2004, 07:16 »
Now I just have to decided whether to finish getting MCSA certified (microsoft certified systems administrator), or changing direction and effort over to the nuclear field. 

Does it have to be an "either MCSA or nuclear" situation? Many of the plant software applications are fairly complex, and overload the capabilities of the assigned points of contact. The IT experts don't have a clue about nuclear documentation and configuration control. There is much money to be made by the versatile individual.

Check out this link: http://www.techassist.com/ 
I can assure you these guys are quite conversant in IT and Nuke. They would like to have better trained people at each site as the site administrator. I have seen how ugly it gets without that.........

Just a thought.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Beta_effect

« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2004, 02:35 »
Yep-do both...flexibility = no barriers...IMHO

Offline dave99

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2004, 06:50 »
I'll jump on the bandwagon and say do both to allow jumping between career paths.. could keep you from being laid off.

NOLXXX

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2005, 04:02 »
Check utility sites, with your background you should be able to snag a job in the ops department at a nuke ( most x navy go into operations).

the business ( contract DECON, RP and laundry)  is dying slowly,  the wages are basically unchanged from 15 years ago. We are down to 2  contractors Bartlett and atlantic  and its just a matter of time before one of them buys the other.

shayne

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2005, 01:37 »
Most of the NLO jobs are paying $28-32/hr. when fully qualified.  Most of the shift rotations also include some built in overtime and I'm sure you could pick up another day or two also.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2005, 01:19 »
NOLXXX -- you were making over $20 an hour and $80 to $100 perdiem 15 years ago? Not bad. I have found the pay and perdiem to be rising, perhaps a little slower than we want, but not stagnating like they did in the 80s. The last few jobs I worked as a tech were $23 to $25 (mostly on the $25 side) and $90 - $100 perdiem. A decent wage when you consider the overtime.

As far as the contract RP business dying, I have to strongly disagree. If you are willing to work there is plenty to do. Yes, the outages are shorter and you have to do a little more planning to get a good year in. But so far, no problems here. And as for the NLO payscale, it seems to match the house HP scale pretty closely... in some plants the HPs get more than the NLOs.

The business is very different than it used to be, but it still provides what a lot of people are looking for.

But, back on topic... I think the MCSA is a great idea, even if you go the nuclear route. There is a lot of opportunity for moving back and forth between disciplines. You might find jobs in one field when the options don't fit your needs in the other.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?