Career Path > Coming Back

Out of field for a while

(1/2) > >>

juggernaut:
Hello all,

First post here.  I've been out of the Navy since 1996 and have not been in the nuclear power field that whole time.  Now I am considering getting back into it and would like some advice.

BTW, I was in the Navy for 8 years as a MM/ELT and also went to RadCon Maintenance School and worked on a subtender in their Radiological Controls division.  I have not finished getting a degree but have worked on one off and on since leaving the Navy.  Since my EAOS, I have worked as a Maintenance Supervisor at retirement homes, basically a jack of all trades type of job.

Anyway, on to my questions:

1-What's the pay like in the civilian world of nuclear power?

2-What would be my best step to help me get my foot in the door?

3-Have I just been away too long?

TIA for any and all help.

Juggernaut

Roll Tide:
Sounds like you could walk into the commercial field without problem, the only question is the position you would fill.

RADCON: talk to a contract company (Bartlett is great on stuff like this, but some of the other ones should be able to help you out if they need people.) Pay varies with region and by utility and short term vice long term jobs. For example, $20 an hour for Sr. HP Tech + Per Diem is similar to $28 an hour without Per Diem. DOE is also a possibility, and Bartlett can give some detail. They have a link here.

OPS: Check out some of the other threads on this topic, and then go to websites for each of the utilities you would work. For example, I would check out TVA, Duke, Progress Energy, and Southern Power: those are the only areas I am willing to work at this time.

Give us more info, and we will be happy to give more advice. GOOD LUCK!!

juggernaut:
Thanks for the response.  It's good to know that getting back into the nuclear field is an option.  Now I just have to decided whether to finish getting MCSA certified (microsoft certified systems administrator), or changing direction and effort over to the nuclear field.  How is the nuclear job market?  Compared say to information technology?  Any guesses?

Thanks again,

Juggernaut

jjordan:
Go to some of the utilities web sites and see who is hiring for what positions. We have an IT opening here at Brunswick, also seem to need operator from time to time, also many other positions at our sister plants as well. Look on this site at the job postings also, there are links to a lot of utility web sites and also many contract companies.
Good luck,
JJ ;D

Roll Tide:

--- Quote from: juggernaut on Jun 23, 2004, 11:06 --- Now I just have to decided whether to finish getting MCSA certified (microsoft certified systems administrator), or changing direction and effort over to the nuclear field. 
--- End quote ---

Does it have to be an "either MCSA or nuclear" situation? Many of the plant software applications are fairly complex, and overload the capabilities of the assigned points of contact. The IT experts don't have a clue about nuclear documentation and configuration control. There is much money to be made by the versatile individual.

Check out this link: http://www.techassist.com/ 
I can assure you these guys are quite conversant in IT and Nuke. They would like to have better trained people at each site as the site administrator. I have seen how ugly it gets without that.........

Just a thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version