Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Multiple F's in College can I still get in? honeypot

Author Topic: Multiple F's in College can I still get in?  (Read 7130 times)

jtk2515

Multiple F's in College can I still get in?
« on: Mar 04, 2010, 08:05 »
I got a few questions.

1. I never went to High school, I was Home Schooled. Which pretty much means in my case I was taken out of school and not homeschooled. Is that going to be a problem? I don’t want to lie about it.

2. At 18 I moved out from my parents and started going to a CC near me. I did pretty bad. Multiple F's. Not really from lack of intelligence but from a total lack of understanding on how to live on my own. Do I have to get a waiver for every class I failed or Dropped?

3. I'm going to be graduating this spring with a AS in Engineering with a GPA (in degree of 3.2). So I have taken up to calculus 4 and calculus based physics 1&2. Is this good enough to get me in even though I am a freaking total idiot.

Reason I’m thinking about joining is I’m 23 and I’ve been laid off twice in the past 2 years. I want to get my 4 year degree (so I can get a stable job at a nuke plant near me and start a family), but mentally and financially I cannot take another layoff. I have no debt and no criminal history.

What are my chances of getting in to a navy program that gives me experience in the nuclear field?   

Duchess

Re: Multiple F's in College can I still get in?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2010, 09:05 »
You're going to have a hard time getting into NUPOC if that is the route you want.

You would need to be:
Currently enrolled in a 4 year regionally accredited program
Be able to graduate with a bachelors within 30 months
C or better in Calculus  I/II and Calculus  based Phys I/II
C or better in all technical courses

Each technical course with an F would require a waiver unless you have retaken the course.  I don't think your homeschooling will be an issue but the multiple Failures will raise a red flag.

Reason I'm thinking about joining is I'm 23 and I’ve been laid off twice in the past 2 years.

That is not a very good reason to join the service and you shouldn't think of the military as an employer of last resort.  Make sure you want to serve for the right reasons.  Job security is good...really good.  It will be hard to get out even if you try.

Is this good enough to get me in even though I am a freaking total idiot.

I think you need a little more confidence if you plan to succeed at anything.

The enlisted nuke pipeline might be a great way to get nuclear experience and money to finish your degree.  You probably meet the requirements.

Be a little more confident.  You can't be a total idiot.

shocker

Re: Multiple F's in College can I still get in?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2010, 11:47 »
For the enlisted program I believe the only poor grades that require waivers are the basic Algebra and perhaps Chemistry/Physics related courses.  I ship out October 5th for the Enlisted program and my last 2 semesters have included - 4 F's, 1 D and 4 F's 2 D's.  However those are *college* courses with random/business background not "technical" courses like those considered for the nuclear program.

And I've already had the Nuke School contact me asking if I had any questions so I guess they decided to overlook my less than stellar academic past.   Although scoring very well on the ASVAB would definitely not hurt your chances with grades like ours :-)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?