Career Path > Resume & Interview

POSS and interview in same day?

<< < (3/4) > >>

GoneFission:
I appreciate everyone's input, every little bit of information helps!

I'll be driving down a day ahead so I can rest and be fresh when I go in.  It's easy to forget how important resting is when you get yourself worked up studying for tests and preparing for interviews.  Actually, I think this is one piece of advice that is grossly understated in the POSS/MASS forum.

One way or the other (offer extended or experience gained) it will all be worth it.  Thursday is the day and I'll post back with updates.  ;)

grantime:
good luck

Laundry Man:

--- Quote from: Broadzilla on Mar 07, 2010, 09:17 ---Fermi did the POSS test in the morning and graded it as the sections were completed. By afternoon everyone who didn't make the cut were given tickets home, the rest were scheduled for interviews starting the next day.

Mike

--- End quote ---

Mike, was this the Holiday Inn on Dixie days?  Probably a few beers included.
LM

Fermi2:
When we interviewed we stayed at the Ponchartrain. When Edison put me up after I started with them it was Holiday Inn on Dixie. They still had that Timmy's place in it. Yes beer was included!

GoneFission:
Well I promised updates, and I'm here to make good on those promises.

I had my first POSS experience yesterday and luckily I passed.  For the most part I credit this forum for my success - I feel certain I would have been unprepared without the resources here.  My test was just the POSS (no MASS) and included the "long" math section.  In hopes that my experience can benefit others, I will post yet another "reflection on the POSS" separately.  On one hand I hate to clutter up the forum, but on the other I know that I read every thread available at least twice looking for advice.  If it is seen as unnecessary, I invite a moderator to remove it.

After my POSS (it was graded within 15 minutes) I had 3 hours to prepare for my interview.  The interview was at the plant (about 45 minutes away) so I left with plenty of extra time to make the trip.  This turned out to be an excellent choice as the directions provided by HR neglected to tell me how to get through the security gate, where to park, how to get to the correct building, etc.  It felt wrong somehow to wander around a nuclear facility looking for a nondescript building to meet "some guy" so I called HR to figure out what to do.  Unfortunately this wasn't very helpful and I did end up wandering around alone until I found the building with 3 minutes to spare.  Seeing guards with machine guns made the experience surreal.

The interview itself went smoothly I believe.  I was expecting more STAR-based questions and a very intense atmosphere, but it was very laid-back and amicable.  Instead of a 4 or 5-member panel the interview was conducted by the hiring manager alone yielding a very personal feel.  I received great information about the position, plant, staff, company, etc. as well as decent feedback for my answers throughout the interview.  We went for 1 hour and 45 minutes of the scheduled 2 hours, but given it was one-on-one I felt OK with this.

The hiring manager left me with his business card and told me decisions would be made quickly - a week and a half at most.  The start date for the class is only 5 weeks away and I think this utility has been conducting interviews since October for this position. 

Thanks again to everyone, those who responded to my thread and PMs, and those who have posted in other interview/POSS threads.  This website is an excellent resource and I only hope I can give something back to others looking for advice and information someday.  For those seeking POSS or interview advice feel free to PM me - I may not have the experience of BZ or JustinHEMI, but I am willing to help as best I can.

Edit: My reflection on the POSS is here - http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,23375.0.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version