Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NS Savannah honeypot

Author Topic: NS Savannah  (Read 15854 times)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
NS Savannah
« on: Mar 10, 2010, 10:35 »
This one is almost never talked about, I'm curious, does anybody have any first person anecdotes about this old bird?

http://www.nssavannah.net/

http://www.marad.dot.gov/ships_shipping_landing_page/ns_savannah_home/ns_savannah_home.htm

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
Re: NS Savannah
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:27 »
She sat on the James River (Ghost Fleet) 2 miles from my house in Virginia for years until she was moved north to Baltimore. I was always fascinated by this ship and would absolutely dig hearing some stories about her operating history. Great idea Marssim I hope we get input on this.  ;D
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:36 »
I know a couple of old crewmembers, including a former chief engineer.  I met them when I was doing research for my thesis.  They took me onboard and gave me the VIP tour of the engineering spaces.  Anyway, one of the stories they told me was that when they first started operating they had no real written procedures.  They essentially made stuff up on the fly.  Do you guys think the NRC would let that happen today?
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:38 »
Me at the control panel.....

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:53 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:39 »
control panel

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:54 by Gamecock »

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:40 »
Decking

I've got lots of other pictures if anyone cares......

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:55 by Gamecock »

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:01 »
outside

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:02 by Gamecock »

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:01 »
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:01 by Gamecock »

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:02 »

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:59 by Gamecock »

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:03 »

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:58 by Gamecock »

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:04 »

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:57 by Gamecock »

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:04 »
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:57 by Gamecock »

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2010, 05:15 »
For a virtual tour of NS Savannah, go to http://www.ns-savannah.org/VirtualTour.html   and click , you guessed it, virtual tour.
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2010, 10:23 »
That's the most colorful engineering space I've ever seen on a ship!  Thought the big windows into the Control Room were pretty neat too... 

GC, were those windows sealed and temp resistant?  Just trying to figure out if the control room area was "hardened" in the event of a steam rupture.  It looks like they're pretty substantial, and it also looks like there's an Ellison type door on the right side of the picture.

Any idea of how many people they had on watch?

What a great topic!  You've satisfied my history nerd (and nuclear nerd) quota for the day.

Thanks!!
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

number41

« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2010, 09:35 »
Wow!  That engineroom looks 1000 times better than than the "operational" engineroom at MARF Prototype!

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 11:03 »
Loaded up some pictures that were previously deleted.  See above.

GC

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 07:13 »
A good friend is over-seeing the license aspects of this decommissioning.  Seems like a pretty cool deal.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

matthew.b

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 02:14 »
A good friend is over-seeing the license aspects of this decommissioning.  Seems like a pretty cool deal.

So did they just yank fuel and then leave the rest?

I can't see how this one is all that complex.  I would assume they'll just fill the rector compartment with concrete and bury it in the dessert.  Or is there more than that to it?

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 06:56 »
So did they just yank fuel and then leave the rest?

I can't see how this one is all that complex.  I would assume they'll just fill the rector compartment with concrete and bury it in the dessert.  Or is there more than that to it?

The ship has been defueled for almost 40 years!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 08:35 »
Decking

I've got lots of other pictures if anyone cares......

I think I have an idea for an NS Savannah RCOH/SLEP....throw in an A1W core, remove the cargo handling booms, and reuse the cargo hold areas for Mk41 VLS. More firepower than the Kirov class! ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?