Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu It says Q and A so heres a Q...  

Author Topic: It says Q and A so heres a Q...  (Read 7207 times)

Dino666

It says Q and A so heres a Q...
« on: Jul 29, 2007, 05:31 »
Is it possible to visit Callaway Nuclear Facility in Missouri? I mean actually go inside?
I have been wanting to see the inside for 25 years. I am 47 years old and its the one thing I wanna see before I go to that big reactor in the sky. Help and answers are much appreciated.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
Re: It says Q and A so heres a Q...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2007, 10:17 »
I suspect that it would take some doing in the post 911 world.  Do you know anyone that is employed there?  That is where I would start.  Even if you can get a tour of some kind the best stuff is actually in an area that you still would not be able to see (Fuel pool etc.).  I remember back in 1993 or 4 while working at South Texas Project we actually had a tour group come into containment.  They were able to do that because it was one of the only "clean" containments in the industry and you didn't have to wear anything other than street clothes.  Most containment buildings (that is where the actual reactor is) are contaminated areas and require a certain amount of training and dress to access and are only accessable during a refuel outage (about 4 - 5 weeks every 18 - 24 months).

If a person was really needing to learn about a nuclear facility and wanted to get in and see how it all looks and works, it shouldn't be too hard to line up an outage job (decon, firewatch etc.) during an outage if your schedule allowed such a thing.

So...

1) Check with someone that works there that you know.
2) Check with the plant it self to see what it would take. 

I have often thought that I would love to get my father in to see it as well.  Maybe post something if you find out how to do it.  Good luck.

P.S.  If you do a search on Yahoo, Google or right here on nukeworker it is easy to find photos of the inside.  Try "spent fuel pool" or "nuclear plant" or some other variation and you will find plenty of photos, not the same as being there however.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2007, 10:35 »
Is it possible to visit Callaway Nuclear Facility in Missouri? I mean actually go inside?
I have been wanting to see the inside for 25 years. I am 47 years old and its the one thing I wanna see before I go to that big reactor in the sky. Help and answers are much appreciated.

Have you called them? Seems more logical to call Callaway than ask here.

Mike

navytwinmom

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2007, 02:10 »
Once again the BZ we know and love to the rescure!!

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2007, 12:30 »
Another option is that many plants offer some sort of tour to local groups (boy scouts, schools, etc.).  While the tour doesn't usually go inside the plant, you can see things like the control room simulator, etc.  Ask the plant's public information people about the tours.  Some more specialized groups actually get tours inside the plant (but outside the actual vital areas).  The groups include ones like the local American Nuclear Society section, local government, the media, etc.

The idea about trying to get in as a temporary worker is a good idea.  Most plants have arrangements with staffing companies - call the HR department and ask who supplies their supplemental workers.

rellison

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 11:57 »
how does a person who work in construction during an outage get clearacne in work in nuke?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?