Career Path > Safety

BBS

<< < (5/6) > >>

Iceman24601:

--- Quote from: mostlyharmless on May 03, 2010, 01:05 ---Not all accidents are tragic of course,but you get my point.
Am I my brothers keeper?    Yes.
to a degree.  MH

--- End quote ---

I still lose sleep over an accident in the lab several years back.  There was nothing I could have done to prevent it but it still happened on my watch.  Luckily the worst that happened was it scared the s*&! out of a few people but at least two of our best analysts never went back to that lab.  One of my motto's for when the lab gets on my case about what seems like a minor issue is "It only takes one mistake!"  One mistake changed the livelihood of two analysts and a lot of lost sleep.

mostlyharmless:
BBS is intended to lower accident/injury rates by making you more aware of unsafe acts and or environments; to make you more aware. The numbers are compiled and statistics are analyzed for trending etc. Is this an industry wide practice or mainly  DOE?.
At worst it does no harm, at best it really does lower the accident rate through enhanced awareness.
For those participating in the discussion, thank you. The rest of you lurkers need to add to the discussion.

mostlyharmless:
See above

mostlyharmless:
BBS works to some degree. But we will never know about the rest of the world if you do not post.

JeremyCantrell:
I'll weigh in a bit.

There are different aspects of BBS.

Most seem "disenfranchised" with the Corporate version of Behavior Based Safety...the observations et. al the benchmarking of these and the set requirements.

I meet these goals because if not, you will be inundated with droves of cubicle dwellers who tell you how to be safe whteher they understand the job being performed or not.

BBS for me, is being in a supportive role as safety. The workers are there for one reason, production, to get the job done.
The root of this is keeping people safe without "Punishment".

I've heard it stated by many Safety Professionals that you cannot have Compliance without Enforcement.

I do not believe this.
The basis for my approach to BBS is due to the fact that nobody truly wants to get hurt. You don't see people running around smashing fingers for the fun of it.
So, it's up to the Safety Professional to have it all make more sense to work safely than to not work safely.

Sure, enforcing safety through Firings, Days off, Fines is much easier for the average HSE/EHS, it requires no creativity or thought...you see an infraction...you report it.

I always ask myself...will this person continue to be safe after I walk away...if not..I've failed in my approach.

So.
I first attempt to establish credibility, without this, the workers do not hear or heed any words that come out of your mouth.
Secondly, I set the rules and only change them under very, very necessary circumstances and I make it clear that any deviations will be worked out with me involved.
Finally..I go to great lengths to stick to these rules implicitly.

Couple these with mutual respect and competency and 99% of people I've worked with will do things as safely as possible.

I'm going on near 10k hours worked as Safety without a Time Lost Accident. I've had 2 recordable's in the last year...1 was Tendinitis that was given a prescription for anti-inflammatory and the other was an bug bite that swelled up to massive proportions.

Until my "system" stops being effective I'll stick to it.

Yes..this was somewhat of a quick mind dump and not "prepared"...so take it how you wish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version