Career Path > Salary Questions

NLO pay wage

(1/12) > >>

mtr1514:
Hello everyone,

It was my understanding that NLO's started at about $24-28/hr but jumped up to over $35/hr after qualification.  Is that somewhere in the ballpark.

After talking to a Harris plant recruiter, that isn't the case.  It was just mentioned that I could possibly be a senior auxiliary operator after 18 months.

Can anyone elaborate?  What do most plants offer?

UncleRico:
Your numbers are pretty close to what my plant pays NAO's. When fully qualified (about 2 years) our NAO's are making between $34 and $35 per hour and currently top out around $39. I believe we are on the higher side of the NAO pay scale but you can expect to be making at least in the low $30's, as a fully qualified Auxiliary Operator, just about anywhere. However, I read a post here discussing a utility that starts Reactor Operators at $33 so I would hate to see what Auxiliary Operators make there! Good luck.

xobxdoc:
Topped out NLO at Calvert is 38 per hour. A principle is 10% higher

mtr1514:
Thanks for the responses.

I guess what I looking to find out that I havent seen in any thread is how are the pay increases distributed for a NLO during and after qualifying?  I know Excelon and Constellation start there NLO's about $24.50-26/hr walking in the door and then in 12-14 months after qualifing they are making over $40/hr.  I heard other plants give wage increase even during qualification after certain watch station qual's.

Are all plants this way? Only reason I ask is that I have a job offer at one plant for a non-operations position but have an invitation for another plant for a NLO position.  I'm just trying to gauge what the NLO payscale will be after a year or so.

retired nuke:

--- Quote from: mtr1514 on Mar 25, 2010, 08:18 ---Thanks for the responses.

I guess what I looking to find out that I havent seen in any thread is how are the pay increases distributed for a NLO during and after qualifying?  I know Excelon and Constellation start there NLO's about $24.50-26/hr walking in the door and then in 12-14 months after qualifing they are making over $40/hr.  I heard other plants give wage increase even during qualification after certain watch station qual's.

Are all plants this way? Only reason I ask is that I have a job offer at one plant for a non-operations position but have an invitation for another plant for a NLO position.  I'm just trying to gauge what the NLO payscale will be after a year or so.

--- End quote ---

You could always ask the folks that are interviewing / hiring you - they usually know, and I don't think they would keep it a secret. Every plant/ utility has it's own idiosyncrasies as far as advancement and pay. Asking about other places won't answer the specifics you really need to know in order to make the decision you seem to want to make.

Good luck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version