Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Jr. RP's

Author Topic: Jr. RP's  (Read 57549 times)

kbaxendale

Jr. RP's
« on: Mar 23, 2010, 07:12 »
I am currently a student, and I am working at Comanche Peak right now doing my co-op. I will graduate in August with a Environmental Health and Safety major and a Health Physics minor.  Does anyone know the easiest way to get into the nuclear industry besides going on the road?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

kbaxendale

Re: Jr. RP's
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2010, 08:07 »
I thought about that. I am thinking it might be a little difficult having three young children. I also owe a year of my life to the NRC since they have paid for my schooling. Any other ideas?

Cathy

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2010, 09:22 »
I am currently a student, and I am working at Comanche Peak right now doing my co-op. I will graduate in August with a Environmental Health and Safety major and a Health Physics minor.  Does anyone know the easiest way to get into the nuclear industry besides going on the road?

Thanks
Doing a fine job at the Peak I might add  :)

Offline 105KW

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2010, 12:07 »

Thanks

Don't know if your interested, but Hanford  is still in the hiring mod for techs..even Jrs with college.

If interested drop me a note and  I'll point you in the right direction for the contact. ;)

105KW

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2010, 12:25 »
"Don't know if your interested, but Hanford  is still in the hiring mod for techs..even Jrs with college"

AND you would get to live in the Tri-Cities !!!!!  :)

"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline 105KW

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2010, 01:20 »
"Don't know if your interested, but Hanford  is still in the hiring mod for techs..even Jrs with college"

AND you would get to live in the Tri-Cities !!!!!  :)

didn't say it would be perfect :P...Just puts milk on the table. ::)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2010, 12:23 »
I thought about that. I am thinking it might be a little difficult having three young children. I also owe a year of my life to the NRC since they have paid for my schooling. Any other ideas?

The way I read that is that you are going to be employed by the NRC?  So if things go right, you should be able to stay with them after the year is up?  If so, stay NRC until you have your ANSI 3.1 time...then the world is your oyster - esp. with 'NRC' at the top of your resume...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

kbaxendale

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2010, 04:35 »
I am interested in going anywhere a full time job is. Will Hanford still be hiring in August?

kbaxendale

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2010, 04:36 »
And Thank You Cathy!

shaynek

« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2010, 08:53 »
As far as i know hanford is not hiring i check there web site daily I passed the doe core test last december so if you know if they are  not hiring i would really like to know where you are getting your information from!!!!  Thanks

Offline 105KW

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2010, 06:46 »
uuuhhhh...I work there  :P .  The last hires were this month and about 3 dozen hired in May. If your an RCT and your not working ( because you can't land a job ) something else is wrong.  There are over 800 just at Hanford right now.

Good Luck

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2010, 08:52 »
Are there really that many junior jobs at Hanford 105kw?

Offline 105KW

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Jun 26, 2010, 10:48 »
Are there really that many junior jobs at Hanford 105kw?

Maybe I wasn't clear...Sorry. There are 800 ( as of today ) RCT's...I would say close to 100 are new trainees.  Some have just completed their first 6 months.  Normal staffing at  Hanford  ( excluding PNL ) is about the 500 mark.

Sorry gain if I wasn't clear :-)

105KW
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2010, 10:49 by 105KW »

doctormoo

« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2010, 05:33 »
contact a freind of mine named mike shannon hes a supervisor down there in yur texas office of the nrc(the ground shakes when he would walk on site)  tell himm kevin brow told yu to call him he was my push in the nukes ask him on which way to go plus hes got the pull for a nice job with agency

kbaxendale

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2010, 09:49 »
contact a freind of mine named mike shannon hes a supervisor down there in yur texas office of the nrc(the ground shakes when he would walk on site)  tell himm kevin brow told yu to call him he was my push in the nukes ask him on which way to go plus hes got the pull for a nice job with agency

How would I go about getting in touch with him?

kbaxendale

« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2010, 10:09 »
Ok I was in Salt Lake City two weeks ago at the Health Physics conference, I heard from several presenters how badly the commercial nuke industry needed people and how many jobs were out there.

Does anyone know what they were talking about because everyone is looking for people with at least three years experience.  Can anyone tell me how to gain that experience without going outage to outage or going the DOE route.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2010, 10:20 »
Ok I was in Salt Lake City two weeks ago at the Health Physics conference, I heard from several presenters how badly the commercial nuke industry needed people and how many jobs were out there.

Does anyone know what they were talking about because everyone is looking for people with at least three years experience.  Can anyone tell me how to gain that experience without going outage to outage or going the DOE route.

Sorry.  Are you asking how you can get experience without working?

Amigo, what you need is a......................UNION!

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Jul 13, 2010, 06:01 »
Sorry.  Are you asking how you can get experience without working?

Even if you join a UNION with "no experience" you will still have to work outages to get your time in; and get the experience you need to become a better Rad-Worker.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 11:37 by HenryBlack »

kbaxendale

« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2010, 04:30 »
Sorry.  Are you asking how you can get experience without working?

No I want to work to gain my experience, I just want to do it with a full time HOUSE position, not traveling from outage to outage or doing clean up.

I will graduate in August with a Safety Compliance degree with a minor in Health Physics.

kbaxendale

« Reply #19 on: Jul 13, 2010, 04:34 »
What you have to do if you don't want to work outages is either go to school and get a degree. That will get you some time towards your ANSI quals or find a plant that is hiring and take a house job. In my opinion that is the best route to take.

Even if you join a UNION with "no experience" you will still have to work outages to get your time in; and get the experience you need to become a better Rad-Worker.

I am in school right now and I have almost a year experience working in a lab setting and I worked the 1RF14 outage at Comanche Peak as a JR., but now I am looking for a house position where I can plant my feet.

JsonD13

« Reply #20 on: Jul 14, 2010, 09:04 »
The problem you'll find is that there isnt much out there for a house Jr. RP tech.  Most of what I've seen, plants only want senior techs for house techs, which you need more experience for.

Jason

IPREGEN

« Reply #21 on: Jul 14, 2010, 11:39 »
Aim in a different direction than junior tech, look in other ares such as environmental or dosimetry. If your degree is applicable you would be surprised what you may be able to do. I'm referring to management jobs, not union.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #22 on: Jul 14, 2010, 01:11 »
You really should be looking into getting a house job in Safety instead of RP anyway. Safety personnel are usually paid more.  Good luck
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 02:24 by HenryBlack »

kbaxendale

« Reply #23 on: Jul 14, 2010, 06:43 »
You really should be looking into getting a house job in Safety instead of RP anyway. Safety personnel are usually paid more. The Utilities are always looking for Safety people. Good luck

Where would be a good place to look for safety positions with utilities? I have been looking for those as well and have not seen any that were not requiring at least 5 yrs exp.

mostlyharmless

« Reply #24 on: Jul 14, 2010, 08:28 »
Entry level at a DOE. It'll be easy and you ll be safe and likely not assigned to anything that can get you or anyone else hurt,overexposed, etc. If not, then pay your dues like the rest of us. You will learn a lot more of value.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #25 on: Jul 15, 2010, 11:48 »
On-topic: Did the co-op let the OP and others during the program what job opportunities were lined up for the students?
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 12:28 by Rennhack »

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Jul 15, 2010, 12:10 »
You cannot find them because they do not exist.  People who tell you differently are mistaken.

Maybe they are none listed at the present but I have seen them listed in the past. You can bet they will be listed again.

The main thing you need to do is get a job at a plant in any position and then work your way through the system to the position that you really want. Who knows when you get "in", your mind may change numerous times before you settle on one job that you like.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #27 on: Jul 15, 2010, 12:24 »
Maybe they are none listed at the present but I have seen them listed in the past. You can bet they will be listed again.

The main thing you need to do is get a job at a plant in any position and then work your way through the system to the position that you really want. Who knows when you get "in", your mind may change numerous times before you settle on one job that you like.

VERY good advice.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Jul 15, 2010, 02:33 »

The statement that utilities are always looking for safety people is wrong.  Utilities do not post entry level safety positions that are open to external candidates.  The rare exception may be a job posting that has a qualifications description costumized to fit the niece or girlfriend of the hiring manager.

Ok I went back and modified my posts and took that out just for you Sun Dog. I believe that every safety rep with experience had to start out at the bottom and work their way up to the top. I have seen ads for entry level safety people but I don't want to discuss that here.  We are supposed to be helping KB get in the Nuclear Business. I still believe that the best way is to get in the door and then worry about getting what you want. That is what I told my Son and it is working pretty good for him and it will work for KB also.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 03:09 by Rennhack »

kbaxendale

« Reply #29 on: Jul 15, 2010, 05:12 »
Ok so the only way to get your foot in is to be an outage worker or be related or dating someone that works at a plant.  This is so frustrating. I really do not understand why the NRC is willing to pay for a degree and then give us only 6 months to find a job where I will be able to at least work a year straight, even though there are no positions open for a person without three years experience............

Completely blows my mind.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #30 on: Jul 15, 2010, 07:07 »
Ok so the only way to get your foot in is to be an outage worker or be related or dating someone that works at a plant.  This is so frustrating. I really do not understand why the NRC is willing to pay for a degree and then give us only 6 months to find a job where I will be able to at least work a year straight, even though there are no positions open for a person without three years experience............

Completely blows my mind.
Duke sends people to the local community college for rad tech training.  With a bachlers degree, I'm sure they would pick you over someone with an Associates degree.  Don't get too discouraged.  Research all you can for all the utilities, search their job boards and something should come up.  I got my start with a utility that was willing to train me "their" way.  I worked out great for me!  You never responded to Marissm's reply.  Is NRC work out of the question?  Why would they send you to school if they didn't have some plan for you once you graduated?!  With a degree and an outage behind you, you should be close enough to an A.N.S.I. 18.1 to be attractive to a utility that is worrying about replacing an aging work force.
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

kbaxendale

« Reply #31 on: Jul 15, 2010, 07:32 »
I will only have an associates, maybe my best bet is to stay in school another two years and get my BAAS.  Do you not get credit for schooling if you only have an Associates?

The NRC has no positions open, and when I applied with them last month they responded back that I did not meet all the requirements.

As of now I have sent my resume to just about every company having anything to do with nuclear power and have had no responses.  Maybe I am just being impatient and something will come along but I graduate in a month and i really do not feel like paying back the NRC.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #32 on: Jul 15, 2010, 08:29 »
I graduate in a month and i really do not feel like paying back the NRC.

How much is the repayment?

kbaxendale

« Reply #33 on: Jul 15, 2010, 09:53 »
Its right at 12K but I will have to pay back with interest.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #34 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:40 »

As of now I have sent my resume to just about every company having anything to do with nuclear power and have had no responses.  Maybe I am just being impatient and something will come along but I graduate in a month and i really do not feel like paying back the NRC.

Don't give up because there are no refueling outages going on so the time isn't right to get in for outages. Keep checking all the Utilities sites for openings. I would not get discouraged yet. Some companies like Southern Company reguires a bachelors degree for RP but you can get in as something else to start and get your degree finished while working. The only way in is not through outages or knowing someone. You just have to wait till something is posted and then apply. Duke Energy is in the process of hiring now and will be doing it again in RP later this year or first of next year. They take 2 year degrees. They are hiring in all the departments this year so keep looking and if I hear of something I will let you know.

kbaxendale

« Reply #35 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:45 »
Thank you

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #36 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:56 »
Keep this thread alive, and keep telling your story.  Lots of RPM's and RP supervisors read this forum.

Jr8black3

« Reply #37 on: Jul 15, 2010, 11:27 »
KB your on the right track. I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if you have a family, at times it's tough being away from home. I finally made SR. after 25 years in the business, just for your info I could have done it alot faster, I was just making alot of good money in this business doing other things that I don't regret, and I always have it to fall back on.

Goodluck to you. I hope your very sucessful in your goal.

Kevin

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #38 on: Jul 16, 2010, 09:24 »
25 years might be a record!  Congrats.
LM

mostlyharmless

« Reply #39 on: Jul 16, 2010, 09:46 »
The doe sites are hiring. I know this is true at srs were I work. These jobs are permanent( if you want to stay that long) pay well and come with benefits and training. They are hiring folks with associate degrees and from right off the street. If you are interested go to the south Carolina employment commission web site and apply. If you are truly interested I can find out what is going on.There are two companies,SRNS( a compindium of companies primarily Daniel) and SRR(URS is the parent company). They both have web sites. Oak Ridge ,Hanford,Idaho,Los Alamos are always looking for people. Someone will help you get an outage if you want. I have little doubt you can get a job of some kind but getting what you want may be difficult at first. Henry is spot on. Getting in at a utility is the thing, then move to were you want to be. PM me if I can help. I had help getting my first outage 21 years ago and if I can help I will.

kbaxendale

« Reply #40 on: Jul 16, 2010, 10:28 »
I need a permanent position. I would love to be able to travel from outage to outage but it would be really hard on my kids, i think it would be better on them to be able to stay in one spot.   I looked at the Savannah River Site and all the jobs I saw required a BA or higher. 

kbaxendale

« Reply #41 on: Jul 16, 2010, 10:46 »
I know this may be a little off topic but I have a couple of questions. 
1. If I passed the NEU/NUF at one plant will I have to take it again if I go to another plant?
2. If all my NANTEL training is done would I have to redo all of it or just site specifics?

Thanks in advance

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #42 on: Jul 16, 2010, 11:49 »
I know this may be a little off topic but I have a couple of questions. 
1. If I passed the NEU/NUF at one plant will I have to take it again if I go to another plant?
2. If all my NANTEL training is done would I have to redo all of it or just site specifics?

Thanks in advance

NEU/NUF is taken on NANTeL, and all Power plants that use that system share that info, as well as any generic training.  You will have to take site specific training at each site, and they may also require some new 'generic' training that the last site didn't require.

NANTeL is a work in progress, and it gets better and better each day as more utilities transfer more of their training to the system.

kbaxendale

« Reply #43 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:58 »
i took my NUF at Comanche Peak, but it was not done on the computer. Is there a way for them to add it to  NANTeL, or is that one only good there?

kbaxendale

« Reply #44 on: Jul 16, 2010, 03:16 »
So very true.

Cathy

« Reply #45 on: Jul 17, 2010, 12:45 »
i took my NUF at Comanche Peak, but it was not done on the computer. Is there a way for them to add it to  NANTeL, or is that one only good there?
It is normally put in PADS and I bet Grover did it for you. If not, let me know and I will shoot him an email.

kbaxendale

« Reply #46 on: Jul 17, 2010, 11:03 »
Thank you Cathy.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
« Reply #47 on: Jul 21, 2010, 07:09 »
You better jump all over this one.  It isn't often that a chance to rack up some meter time comes along.

Bartlett is looking for Jhp's to work in the Michigan area. Candidates MUST have a minimum of the following qualification: Must have greater than 12 months of health physics experience of in plant time.
You done good Sun Dog.  +K to ya!
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.

kbaxendale

« Reply #48 on: Jul 21, 2010, 11:03 »
Yeah I saw that one, I will give Tricia a call in the morning.
Thank you.

Jr8black3

« Reply #49 on: Jul 23, 2010, 03:06 »
Kb,, Good bunch of folks to learn from if you get in up there, hands down some of the best I ever worked with over my years..

Jr.

Offline bushdr3

• Very Lite User
« Reply #50 on: Jul 23, 2010, 02:07 »
Why not try a shipyard like newport news or norfolk? You get your  nav/sea 108 training and in no time you are a 18.1 and in a outage or 2 you would be a 3.1 sponge ! 8)

Offline cole256

• Light User
« Reply #51 on: Jul 26, 2010, 10:32 »
I'm looking to get in and I'm willing to travel anywhere.  I sent a resume to Bartlett is there anything else I should be doing?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #52 on: Jul 26, 2010, 10:36 »
I'm looking to get in and I'm willing to travel anywhere.  I sent a resume to Bartlett is there anything else I should be doing?

Did you CALL them?

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #53 on: Jul 26, 2010, 11:09 »
Did you CALL them?

Excellent advice! I got my first Jr. job because I called, called, and when I didn't hear back in a week or so I called again. Knew that they would be hiring so I just kept my name on the HR persons mind.  None the less I was hired in the first round they did that year.  Guess I should qualify my above statement and say do NOT become a pain in the butt, but if the recruiter says they will get back to you in a week, I would call on day 8 :)
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

kbaxendale

« Reply #54 on: Jul 26, 2010, 12:25 »
Does anyone happen to know any contact info for the RPM at VC Summer?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #55 on: Jul 26, 2010, 12:56 »
Does anyone happen to know any contact info for the RPM at VC Summer?

That's typically frowned upon.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #56 on: Jul 26, 2010, 08:55 »
terribly bad form for a Jr. RP to be calling an RPM.  Unless he's a relative, or owes you a HUUUUGE favor, you have no business contacting him/her.  Use the proper channels.  If those don't work, get some of your Sr. RP friends to put in a word for you.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #57 on: Jul 27, 2010, 11:38 »
More information revealed that another RPM was going to contact that RPM on her behalf.  Which I think would be ok.  I would also think that the RPM should already have a means to contact others.

kbaxendale

« Reply #58 on: Jul 27, 2010, 03:51 »
Yeah I would definitely not ever get in contact with them myself. I guess I wouldn't really need any contact information if I just knew who to tell him to call, he is not sure exactly whom he needs to get in contact with.

Sorry if I went about it the wrong way, I should have explained the situation.

kbaxendale

« Reply #59 on: Aug 05, 2010, 07:26 »
Can anyone tell me what this means -the incumbent shall meet the qualification requirements defined by SPP-1.1 for technicians.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #60 on: Aug 05, 2010, 07:31 »
Can anyone tell me what this means -the incumbent shall meet the qualification requirements defined by SPP-1.1 for technicians.
SPP is Standard Procedures and Practices (at least my plant).  Incumbent is the position a person holds, meaning if you are hired for this position, you will be able to complete the tasks outlined in SPP-1.1.

(I think)
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

kbaxendale

« Reply #61 on: Aug 06, 2010, 09:19 »
Ok thank you, that would make sense.

kbaxendale

« Reply #62 on: Aug 10, 2010, 05:00 »
I got a call from Duke energy today for a Jr. Tech position at McGuire. Can any one tell me any specifics on the plant? Any interview suggestions?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #63 on: Aug 10, 2010, 05:23 »
Review all of the 'normal' interview websites, have answers to all of the  "Tell me about a time when you...[insert challenge here]."

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #64 on: Aug 10, 2010, 09:59 »
McGuire is a great plant in my opinion. I work there a lot and I can't think of anything to complain about. The Supervisors are the best and the RPM is one of the most caring men you could find anywhere. They treat you like family. The plant itself is a big unit in a small bldg. The Containment Bldg is tight and so is the Aux Bldg. but  after you get used to the small rooms and learn how to maneuver through the small spaces you will love it. Duke as a whole is a good company to work for I believe. I actually work for Bartlett at Oconee but i was at Mcguire for their last outage. Good luck in your interview. Just be yourself and you will do fine.

kbaxendale

« Reply #65 on: Aug 10, 2010, 11:18 »
Thanks guys. I will be sure to give an update after it is over and done with.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #66 on: Aug 11, 2010, 08:15 »
All I can say about McGuire is 'I hope you are small.' And I have never been there.

It is an Ice Condenser PWR which means that the containment is VERY small (the Aux building is smaller than average, too) because they do not require the empty air space that 'conventional' PWRs do.

If a normal PWR ever suffers a LOCA with a double ended pipe break (worst case scenario for PWR) all the water will 'instantaneously' flash to steam and there needs to be somewhere for all of the steam to go. That is why containment buildings are so big with so much empty space above the refueling floor. The space allows the steam to expand enough to not blow up the building. Normally it is in the range of 1e6 ft3 of space. Someone got the genius idea of building a nuclear plant on a barge (really!) giving the option of floating the plant to wherever on the coast that the power was needed. So, they needed to come up withways to save size and weight and came up with Ice Condensers. The top and bottom halves of containment are separated by containers with banks of ice that will condense the steam back to water as it expands up, so the excess open space is unnecessary.

According to legend, the original floating plants were to be named Atlantic 1 and 2. Obviously people got smarter somewhere in between concept and construction and they were never built. Unfortunately, they were not smart enough to abandon the design and those of us over 6' tall (some would say 5' tall) and built bigger than your average anorexic teenager have a bit of trouble getting around in the lower containment section. Particularly after the standard outage equipment (scaffolds, spare parts, removed insulation, etc.) have been added. I was working at an Ice Condenser Plant in the early eighties (the decade, not my age) and opened up a gash in my back on a scaffold knuckle, just trying to get from point A to point B.

I am sure that McGuire has redeeming qualities and that others will probably share some. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

kbaxendale

« Reply #67 on: Aug 11, 2010, 05:42 »
I guess it's good for me that I am barely above 5' lol.
Thanks for all the information. It was very helpful, I knew they were a PWR but I did not know they were an ice condensor PWR. That whole concept is really neat.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #68 on: Aug 11, 2010, 07:18 »
I started the business at DC Cook in 1989, which is an Ice Condenser plant also.  I thought the plant was big.  Flash forward 21 years, I worked there again, and I am totally amazed at how small it is.

kbaxendale

« Reply #69 on: Aug 11, 2010, 08:09 »
Does anyone happen to know the average salary for a Jr. Position with Duke, or any of the benefits that they offer? I would really hate to under estimate my worth. Are they a union plant? If so how do I go about finding all that stuff out?

I am trying to learn as much as I can about Duke and the actual plant itself.

HeatherB.

« Reply #70 on: Sep 01, 2010, 02:00 »
Has anyone heard of the contractor companies working on training programs for current Junior techs? To get them more experience, more hours...To foster loyalty with a company... etc. I've been told D.Z. Atlantic has training programs at Cooper & VY (just started? I think?) to further the training of Juniors & help them to become competent, loyal Senior Techs a little quicker. Has Bartlett started anything similar?

With a shortage of Sr. Techs, I'd think ALL the contractor companies would be thinking proactively & trying to "breed" a stronger pool of Juniors to fill those spots eventually. Anyone heard anything promising?
 [thanks]

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #71 on: Sep 01, 2010, 04:08 »
Don't "Think" like that it will end up hurting.
The nuclear industry operates on the here and now principle and NOT what will happen next year or further.
I know that is pessimistic but after more than 3 decades of working on the road as an HP I have yet to see anything to the contrary.

It is VERY frustrating for a Jr. Tech to hang on for @ 5 years in order to get the time and hopefully the experience to become a Sr. Tech.
When they have to install wheelchair access for drywells and cavities (for the aging Sr. Techs) the bean counters might think about training new HPs as a cost saving concept.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #72 on: Sep 01, 2010, 07:56 »

When they have to install wheelchair access for drywells and cavities (for the aging Sr. Techs) the bean counters might think about training new HPs as a cost saving concept.

They have the equivalent - the "Camera Trailer"... youngsters on a wire in the can, geezers in a chair directing them.... :old:
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #73 on: Sep 03, 2010, 11:39 »
I started the business at DC Cook in 1989, which is an Ice Condenser plant also.  I thought the plant was big.  Flash forward 21 years, I worked there again, and I am totally amazed at how small it is.

DC Cook IS big.....compared to McGuire and Catawba
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

kbaxendale

« Reply #74 on: Sep 06, 2010, 01:12 »
Has anyone ever heard of having the EEI tech test administered by phone.  I am taking the test next wed. and was wondering what to expect when I get there. I have been studying for a bit now using the ASVAB study guide and taking practice tests online. Any more advice????

Offline Derrick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #75 on: Oct 08, 2010, 01:10 »
Hey guys.I graduated from Lake Michigan College with a degree in energy production.Im interested in outage work.anything entry level to get me in.Any advice.Ive called DZ,Bartlett,Shaw...im just having trouble getting in to be honest.Everyone wants you to have 5 months experience.Is there any way around this.I have a degree in operations.Associates degree.Im sure i can pass a drug test and background test.Im just frustrated.ive really been calling alot of places.Ive called Scott with Bartlett.Joey...Is there anyone i can forward my resume to on here that may be able to shoot me in the right direction.Im finding out in this industry that it helps who you know.I have no family or friends in this industry.I graduated with a good grades.Im just a young hardworking guy that just would like a opportunitie.Im willing to travel for outage work also.I dont wont to offend anyone but please tell me that i dont have to know someone to get in outage work.Like i said im a hardworker and ill start at the bottom.Decon.or Jr Rp.I just would like a opportunity.

Thanks
Derrick

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #76 on: Oct 08, 2010, 12:21 »
Hey guys.I graduated from Lake Michigan College with a degree in energy production.Im interested in outage work.anything entry level to get me in.Any advice.Ive called DZ,Bartlett,Shaw...im just having trouble getting in to be honest.Everyone wants you to have 5 months experience.Is there any way around this.I have a degree in operations.Associates degree.Im sure i can pass a drug test and background test.Im just frustrated.ive really been calling alot of places.Ive called Scott with Bartlett.Joey...Is there anyone i can forward my resume to on here that may be able to shoot me in the right direction.Im finding out in this industry that it helps who you know.I have no family or friends in this industry.I graduated with a good grades.Im just a young hardworking guy that just would like a opportunitie.Im willing to travel for outage work also.I dont wont to offend anyone but please tell me that i dont have to know someone to get in outage work.Like i said im a hardworker and ill start at the bottom.Decon.or Jr Rp.I just would like a opportunity.

Thanks

Unfortunately, the fall outage season has already peaked, so you may not find work until next spring.  Definitely keep trying (it sounds like you are checking all the right places), but...   :(

Next spring, there is going to be a huge demand for techs (lots of plants refueling), so you almost certainly will get a job. 

Until then, keep applying to every entry level job you see posted here...maybe you'll be in the right place at the right time.

Good luck.   :)

(AAAACK!  Have they already flooded the market again?)   :-[
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #77 on: Oct 08, 2010, 12:27 »
Unfortunately, the fall outage season has already peaked, so you may not find work until next spring.  Definitely keep trying (it sounds like you are checking all the right places), but...   :(

Next spring, there is going to be a huge demand for techs (lots of plants refueling), so you almost certainly will get a job. 

Until then, keep applying to every entry level job you see posted here...maybe you'll be in the right place at the right time.

Good luck.   :)

(AAAACK!  Have they already flooded the market again?)   :-[
Yeah Unca Is right, Just keep calling. The recruiters at bartlett wil know more in the next couple of weeks for the spring season. JUst keep calling and hang in there.

Offline 5kip6

• Light User
  • All's great!
« Reply #78 on: Oct 08, 2010, 09:56 »
Hang in there,  keep calling Bartlett,  Atlantic,  Dade Moeller, & any other company that is listed here on Nukeworker.  Duke system seems to be a good start for juniors.  They have 5 outages next year.  If you get in you could get about 6-7 months work.   I started in this business in 92,  have no relatives or friends in this business.  I just finished college when I found out  that Bartlett was looking for an admin.  I applied for the  job, got it.  I am now a Sr. RP.  Took me a while to become Senior but,  I did whatever I could,  Admin, decon or junior. I have been a Senior now since 2007.  Go to www.bartlettinc.com and look at their wishlist for next year. call Bartlett, once a week.  keep your name fresh in their minds.   LIFE IS GOOD!   

Sun Dog

« Reply #79 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:49 »
Opportunities may be rare...but they exist:

...seeking Jr Radiological Control Technicians to support dredging operations in Sea Plane Lagoon at Alameda Naval Air Station in Alameda, Ca.

Hourly rate is $19.76 an hour and time and one half for overtime, if worked.  Per diem is paid at $140 per day.  We will also pay travel at the going federal mileage rate up to $1,000 for travel in and travel out.

Job is expected to last at least 6 weeks with a start date of yesterday.

Qualified and interested candidates may contact...
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2011, 07:50 by Sun Dog »

Offline 5kip6

• Light User
  • All's great!
« Reply #80 on: Jan 28, 2011, 09:32 »
Who has the contract?   I have a friend that is a Jr, interested, Yesterday!

Offline 5kip6

• Light User
  • All's great!
« Reply #81 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:25 »
Thank you!

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #82 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:02 »
i used to be a jr. that was years ago and it looks like the job already started but thought id give a try anyway

johnnyreb

« Reply #83 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:08 »
  to be a junior today; find the coordinator and pay him the going rate, be a friend or relative of same or a client potentate, sleep with the decision maker. sadly hard work and ambition will get you as far as the outside gate. connections, connections , connections

Sun Dog

« Reply #84 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:30 »
 to be a junior today; find the coordinator and pay him the going rate, be a friend or relative of same or a client potentate, sleep with the decision maker. sadly hard work and ambition will get you as far as the outside gate. connections, connections , connections

JR (how ironic) - You obviously have been hurt.  Posting inane rants will not remove the chip from your shoulder or heal your wounded pride.  Seek counseling before it is too late.  I predict this latest rant will result in 3 or 4 more K-, not that you'll give a hoot.

Opportunities for Jr RP techs are more abundant now than in recent memory, at least mine.  I hope those who are interested in learning the trade get busy and 'carpe diem'.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2011, 07:31 by Sun Dog »

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
« Reply #85 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:33 »
JR (how ironic) - You obviously have been hurt.  Posting inane rants will not remove the chip from your shoulder or heal your wounded pride.  Seek counseling before it is too late.  I predict this latest rant will result in 3 or 4 more K-, not that you'll give a hoot.

Opportunities for Jr RP techs are more abundant now than in recent memory, at least mine.  I hope those who are interested in learning the trade get busy and 'carpe diem'.
Great post Dog!!
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.

johnnyreb

« Reply #86 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:26 »
  facts are facts, while an ambitious outsider may make it in the door he will have to run a large bar tab to stay around or she will have to be attractive and very very friendly

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #87 on: Feb 04, 2011, 09:31 »
  facts are facts, while an ambitious outsider may make it in the door he will have to run a large bar tab to stay around or she will have to be attractive and very very friendly

Your opinion does not make it a fact.

johnnyreb

« Reply #88 on: Feb 04, 2011, 03:27 »
  nor yours

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
« Reply #89 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:02 »
  nor yours
JR, please excuse me for this but you seem to only want to create hate and discontent.  If that's your only intention, I believe we can do without it.  Did you have a girlfriend who was a Junior and lost her to a site coordinator?! [hijack] :dupe: [BS] [BS] [BS] [BS]
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #90 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:58 »
JR, please excuse me for this but you seem to only want to create hate and discontent.  If that's your only intention, I believe we can do without it.  Did you have a girlfriend who was a Junior and lost her to a site coordinator?! [hijack] :dupe: [BS] [BS] [BS] [BS]

[jerry] [jerry] [jerry] [jerry]

classic!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?