Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting hired as a Decon.  

Author Topic: Getting hired as a Decon.  (Read 17399 times)

nu-nuker

Getting hired as a Decon.
« on: Nov 20, 2010, 04:21 »
Hey everyone,

I have never worked in the nuclear industry before.  I have applied at Bartlett for any Decon position.  My goal is to work to become a JR HP then on to a senior HP.  My uncle works for Bartlett as a Senior HP, and he has worked for them for a very long time.  Is there any training that I could do to make myself more hirable? I tried changing my major in college to an A.S degree in radiation safety, but It seems that no one is offering that degree any longer and I have no clue as to why.  Does Bartlett even hire decon techs with no experience? I have been calling Bartlett once a week for the past three months and they keep telling me nothing is open now for staring positions.  My uncle has put in a "good word" for me and his son who is applying with me.  I really want to get into the Nuclear industry.  It looks and sounds like it is what I want to do for my career.

Thanks Eric.

Cliffs:

what does a Decon Tech do?

Does Bartlett hire people for Decon with no prior experience?

Offline redline

• Moderate User
Re: Getting hired as a Decon.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2010, 04:34 »
Dude, stay in school and learn something that pays without manual labor and without overtime. Starting deconner=mop jockey, if you're in school now you'd be backing up.

Jr8black3

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2010, 06:00 »
Wish I could be a deconner

Sun Dog

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2010, 06:34 »
Many of the brightest have started out deconning or maybe as a fire watch and moved on to other adventures.  Some of the brightest are still professional deconners. Many other folks have jumped into the business with all sorts of initials after their name and have failed miserably.

Morale to the story:  one size does not fit all.  
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2010, 06:45 by Sun Dog »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:41 »
Don't limit yourself to Bartlett - Atlantic is out there too. I know that VY brings in green deconners for outages, Atlantic has the contract.

Good luck
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

nu-nuker

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2010, 08:20 »
Thank you for your replys. Still waiting for a response from Bartlett about working as a Decon Tech at St. Lucie in Jan.  My uncle who is a SHP is going to talk to some people on Monday.  Hopefully I get the job.

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2010, 10:00 »
Thank you for your replys. Still waiting for a response from Bartlett about working as a Decon Tech at St. Lucie in Jan.  My uncle who is a SHP is going to talk to some people on Monday.  Hopefully I get the job.

Good luck. I would try other outages than that one. The less desirable outages this spring would probably be your best bet.

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:17 »
i worked as firewatch and worked my way up to decon and then to jr rp. i left in mid 90's  think i may have a shot at decon yet or am i too darn old?

Content1

« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:30 »
If your uncle has clout maybe he could ask that he would really like you to get in.   Sometimes they can fill training slots with new people.   They don't like to train people as it costs money.  If you are in school, is a move to Decon the best career move?   Look at the job market.   What are your interests?   There is a resurgence for information systems.   For example, at the LLNL, many computer jobs are listed on the website as compared to Radcon.   They even have paid summer internships for various science majors, like computer science.    Aspiring to be an HP is good if that is what you like to do, but I find many in the industry as HP's were ex-navy and find it is the best paying thing they can think of, and it does not take a genius to be an HP.  Right now, the job market stinks making anything with a salary look attractive, but should it change, it would be wise to have the education and internships in the growing high-tech fields where the good paying jobs will be.

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:43 »
i put in for several jobs as decon.should i keep at it or as some companies have my resume do you think they may be trying to do clearance on me.?

Offline Derrick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2011, 01:53 »
Ive been trying for 2 whole years and had no luck.Nobody is hiring for Decon or jr Rp unless you have a connection.A real good connection.If your really desperate.Its a gig in Arizona at palo verde.Decon work.Its starts at 11 hr.No per diem,...This is what a lady offered me. (Joke right) Who could afford to live in arizona on that? You baisically would be making just enough to pay rent.I have an associates in Power plant operations and the sky is the limit once i pass the POSS test.Your better off getting a education along with outage work.
Derrick

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2011, 02:37 »
Ive been trying for 2 whole years and had no luck.Nobody is hiring for Decon or jr Rp unless you have a connection.A real good connection.If your really desperate.Its a gig in Arizona at palo verde.Decon work.Its starts at 11 hr.No per diem,...This is what a lady offered me. (Joke right) Who could afford to live in arizona on that? You baisically would be making just enough to pay rent.I have an associates in Power plant operations and the sky is the limit once i pass the POSS test.Your better off getting a education along with outage work.

I made $4.25 an hour, no per diem as a deconner, and I was grateful for it.  I guess you didn't need work as bad as I did.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2011, 02:38 »
i put in for several jobs as decon.should i keep at it or as some companies have my resume do you think they may be trying to do clearance on me.?

If they haven't called you in the last week, call them.  Once a week.  When you call, ask when you should check back.  Then call back when they say to.  Usually once a week.

If you don't call them, they assume you don't need a job.

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2011, 03:40 »
If you don't call them, they assume you don't need a job.

That's the key. You need to keep em on speed dial.

Offline gravy58

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2011, 05:02 »
On this site alone and roadwhore I've seen ads for Jr's and deconners. Never take a road job without diem. and you really don't need experiance to get in, it's usually knowing someone, like your uncle. If he says I'll take the job if your hire my nephew, they'll usually go for it.
Keep bugging Bartlett, Denuke, Alantic until they offer you something and it will probaley be at a place they are having a tuff time staffing, like up North in the winter.
With all that said, I would do what the others have suggested. Stay in school and get a degree in something that will put you behind a desk.
If you want a 2 year degree in Health Physics, Aiken Tech in South Carolina sponsered by SRS and Spartinburg in North Carolina sponsered by Duke energy offer classes.

Good luck,
Talk more to your uncle.

ndurham

« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:50 »
Always have wanted to be an HPT.  At the age of 23, I took a great paying job as an operator.  Now I'm wishing I would have stayed in school!  There are several schools online that are offering 2 year Nuke Tech Programs, I highly recommend it.  Not only is the program good for the nuclear industry but commercial as well.  Opens up and even bigger gate of opportunities; Industrial techs, intrustment techs etc.

Nit pick here and nit pick there, and eventually you'll find a company that can see your urgency.  Call the contractor every week and check in.  And if you can afford it and have the time, study the material on this site (Core Academics, Site Specifics) and find a company take the Core exam thru.  It may cost some money and it may not work out like you want it to, but it also shows companies that you're willing run the extra mile out of your pocket to get the job.

nu-nuker

« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:41 »
Thanks so much for the reply's. I'm still calling Bartlett every week.  I am thinking my best bet is to get on at a plant in the fall of 2011 with my uncle.  Me and my cousin want to work for our first outage at a plant that my uncle is working at. 

nu-nuker

« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2011, 05:25 »
Would completing the 40 Hour HAZWOPER make me more hireable?

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:43 »
Topic Summary
Posted on: Today at 17:25Posted by: nu-nuker 
Insert Quote
Would completing the 40 Hour HAZWOPER make me more hireable?

Only for DOE jobs.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?