Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Jr. RP's honeypot

Author Topic: Jr. RP's  (Read 57568 times)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Jr. RP's
« Reply #25 on: Jul 15, 2010, 11:48 »
On-topic: Did the co-op let the OP and others during the program what job opportunities were lined up for the students?
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 12:28 by Rennhack »

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #26 on: Jul 15, 2010, 12:10 »
You cannot find them because they do not exist.  People who tell you differently are mistaken.

Maybe they are none listed at the present but I have seen them listed in the past. You can bet they will be listed again.

The main thing you need to do is get a job at a plant in any position and then work your way through the system to the position that you really want. Who knows when you get "in", your mind may change numerous times before you settle on one job that you like.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #27 on: Jul 15, 2010, 12:24 »
Maybe they are none listed at the present but I have seen them listed in the past. You can bet they will be listed again.

The main thing you need to do is get a job at a plant in any position and then work your way through the system to the position that you really want. Who knows when you get "in", your mind may change numerous times before you settle on one job that you like.

VERY good advice.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Jul 15, 2010, 02:33 »

The statement that utilities are always looking for safety people is wrong.  Utilities do not post entry level safety positions that are open to external candidates.  The rare exception may be a job posting that has a qualifications description costumized to fit the niece or girlfriend of the hiring manager.

Ok I went back and modified my posts and took that out just for you Sun Dog. I believe that every safety rep with experience had to start out at the bottom and work their way up to the top. I have seen ads for entry level safety people but I don't want to discuss that here.  We are supposed to be helping KB get in the Nuclear Business. I still believe that the best way is to get in the door and then worry about getting what you want. That is what I told my Son and it is working pretty good for him and it will work for KB also.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 03:09 by Rennhack »

kbaxendale

« Reply #29 on: Jul 15, 2010, 05:12 »
Ok so the only way to get your foot in is to be an outage worker or be related or dating someone that works at a plant.  This is so frustrating. I really do not understand why the NRC is willing to pay for a degree and then give us only 6 months to find a job where I will be able to at least work a year straight, even though there are no positions open for a person without three years experience............

Completely blows my mind.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #30 on: Jul 15, 2010, 07:07 »
Ok so the only way to get your foot in is to be an outage worker or be related or dating someone that works at a plant.  This is so frustrating. I really do not understand why the NRC is willing to pay for a degree and then give us only 6 months to find a job where I will be able to at least work a year straight, even though there are no positions open for a person without three years experience............

Completely blows my mind.
Duke sends people to the local community college for rad tech training.  With a bachlers degree, I'm sure they would pick you over someone with an Associates degree.  Don't get too discouraged.  Research all you can for all the utilities, search their job boards and something should come up.  I got my start with a utility that was willing to train me "their" way.  I worked out great for me!  You never responded to Marissm's reply.  Is NRC work out of the question?  Why would they send you to school if they didn't have some plan for you once you graduated?!  With a degree and an outage behind you, you should be close enough to an A.N.S.I. 18.1 to be attractive to a utility that is worrying about replacing an aging work force.
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

kbaxendale

« Reply #31 on: Jul 15, 2010, 07:32 »
I will only have an associates, maybe my best bet is to stay in school another two years and get my BAAS.  Do you not get credit for schooling if you only have an Associates?

The NRC has no positions open, and when I applied with them last month they responded back that I did not meet all the requirements.

As of now I have sent my resume to just about every company having anything to do with nuclear power and have had no responses.  Maybe I am just being impatient and something will come along but I graduate in a month and i really do not feel like paying back the NRC.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #32 on: Jul 15, 2010, 08:29 »
I graduate in a month and i really do not feel like paying back the NRC.

How much is the repayment?

kbaxendale

« Reply #33 on: Jul 15, 2010, 09:53 »
Its right at 12K but I will have to pay back with interest.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #34 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:40 »

As of now I have sent my resume to just about every company having anything to do with nuclear power and have had no responses.  Maybe I am just being impatient and something will come along but I graduate in a month and i really do not feel like paying back the NRC.

Don't give up because there are no refueling outages going on so the time isn't right to get in for outages. Keep checking all the Utilities sites for openings. I would not get discouraged yet. Some companies like Southern Company reguires a bachelors degree for RP but you can get in as something else to start and get your degree finished while working. The only way in is not through outages or knowing someone. You just have to wait till something is posted and then apply. Duke Energy is in the process of hiring now and will be doing it again in RP later this year or first of next year. They take 2 year degrees. They are hiring in all the departments this year so keep looking and if I hear of something I will let you know.

kbaxendale

« Reply #35 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:45 »
Thank you

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #36 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:56 »
Keep this thread alive, and keep telling your story.  Lots of RPM's and RP supervisors read this forum.

Jr8black3

« Reply #37 on: Jul 15, 2010, 11:27 »
KB your on the right track. I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if you have a family, at times it's tough being away from home. I finally made SR. after 25 years in the business, just for your info I could have done it alot faster, I was just making alot of good money in this business doing other things that I don't regret, and I always have it to fall back on.

Goodluck to you. I hope your very sucessful in your goal.

Kevin

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #38 on: Jul 16, 2010, 09:24 »
25 years might be a record!  Congrats.
LM

mostlyharmless

« Reply #39 on: Jul 16, 2010, 09:46 »
The doe sites are hiring. I know this is true at srs were I work. These jobs are permanent( if you want to stay that long) pay well and come with benefits and training. They are hiring folks with associate degrees and from right off the street. If you are interested go to the south Carolina employment commission web site and apply. If you are truly interested I can find out what is going on.There are two companies,SRNS( a compindium of companies primarily Daniel) and SRR(URS is the parent company). They both have web sites. Oak Ridge ,Hanford,Idaho,Los Alamos are always looking for people. Someone will help you get an outage if you want. I have little doubt you can get a job of some kind but getting what you want may be difficult at first. Henry is spot on. Getting in at a utility is the thing, then move to were you want to be. PM me if I can help. I had help getting my first outage 21 years ago and if I can help I will.

kbaxendale

« Reply #40 on: Jul 16, 2010, 10:28 »
I need a permanent position. I would love to be able to travel from outage to outage but it would be really hard on my kids, i think it would be better on them to be able to stay in one spot.   I looked at the Savannah River Site and all the jobs I saw required a BA or higher. 

kbaxendale

« Reply #41 on: Jul 16, 2010, 10:46 »
I know this may be a little off topic but I have a couple of questions. 
1. If I passed the NEU/NUF at one plant will I have to take it again if I go to another plant?
2. If all my NANTEL training is done would I have to redo all of it or just site specifics?

Thanks in advance

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #42 on: Jul 16, 2010, 11:49 »
I know this may be a little off topic but I have a couple of questions. 
1. If I passed the NEU/NUF at one plant will I have to take it again if I go to another plant?
2. If all my NANTEL training is done would I have to redo all of it or just site specifics?

Thanks in advance

NEU/NUF is taken on NANTeL, and all Power plants that use that system share that info, as well as any generic training.  You will have to take site specific training at each site, and they may also require some new 'generic' training that the last site didn't require.

NANTeL is a work in progress, and it gets better and better each day as more utilities transfer more of their training to the system.

kbaxendale

« Reply #43 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:58 »
i took my NUF at Comanche Peak, but it was not done on the computer. Is there a way for them to add it to  NANTeL, or is that one only good there?

kbaxendale

« Reply #44 on: Jul 16, 2010, 03:16 »
So very true.

Cathy

« Reply #45 on: Jul 17, 2010, 12:45 »
i took my NUF at Comanche Peak, but it was not done on the computer. Is there a way for them to add it to  NANTeL, or is that one only good there?
It is normally put in PADS and I bet Grover did it for you. If not, let me know and I will shoot him an email.

kbaxendale

« Reply #46 on: Jul 17, 2010, 11:03 »
Thank you Cathy.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #47 on: Jul 21, 2010, 07:09 »
You better jump all over this one.  It isn't often that a chance to rack up some meter time comes along.

Bartlett is looking for Jhp's to work in the Michigan area. Candidates MUST have a minimum of the following qualification: Must have greater than 12 months of health physics experience of in plant time.
You done good Sun Dog.  +K to ya!
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

kbaxendale

« Reply #48 on: Jul 21, 2010, 11:03 »
Yeah I saw that one, I will give Tricia a call in the morning.
Thank you.

Jr8black3

« Reply #49 on: Jul 23, 2010, 03:06 »
Kb,, Good bunch of folks to learn from if you get in up there, hands down some of the best I ever worked with over my years..

Jr.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?