Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Jr. RP's  

Author Topic: Jr. RP's  (Read 57572 times)

Offline bushdr3

• Very Lite User
Re: Jr. RP's
« Reply #50 on: Jul 23, 2010, 02:07 »
Why not try a shipyard like newport news or norfolk? You get your  nav/sea 108 training and in no time you are a 18.1 and in a outage or 2 you would be a 3.1 sponge ! 8)

Offline cole256

• Light User
« Reply #51 on: Jul 26, 2010, 10:32 »
I'm looking to get in and I'm willing to travel anywhere.  I sent a resume to Bartlett is there anything else I should be doing?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #52 on: Jul 26, 2010, 10:36 »
I'm looking to get in and I'm willing to travel anywhere.  I sent a resume to Bartlett is there anything else I should be doing?

Did you CALL them?

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #53 on: Jul 26, 2010, 11:09 »
Did you CALL them?

Excellent advice! I got my first Jr. job because I called, called, and when I didn't hear back in a week or so I called again. Knew that they would be hiring so I just kept my name on the HR persons mind.  None the less I was hired in the first round they did that year.  Guess I should qualify my above statement and say do NOT become a pain in the butt, but if the recruiter says they will get back to you in a week, I would call on day 8 :)
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

kbaxendale

« Reply #54 on: Jul 26, 2010, 12:25 »
Does anyone happen to know any contact info for the RPM at VC Summer?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #55 on: Jul 26, 2010, 12:56 »
Does anyone happen to know any contact info for the RPM at VC Summer?

That's typically frowned upon.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #56 on: Jul 26, 2010, 08:55 »
terribly bad form for a Jr. RP to be calling an RPM.  Unless he's a relative, or owes you a HUUUUGE favor, you have no business contacting him/her.  Use the proper channels.  If those don't work, get some of your Sr. RP friends to put in a word for you.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #57 on: Jul 27, 2010, 11:38 »
More information revealed that another RPM was going to contact that RPM on her behalf.  Which I think would be ok.  I would also think that the RPM should already have a means to contact others.

kbaxendale

« Reply #58 on: Jul 27, 2010, 03:51 »
Yeah I would definitely not ever get in contact with them myself. I guess I wouldn't really need any contact information if I just knew who to tell him to call, he is not sure exactly whom he needs to get in contact with.

Sorry if I went about it the wrong way, I should have explained the situation.

kbaxendale

« Reply #59 on: Aug 05, 2010, 07:26 »
Can anyone tell me what this means -the incumbent shall meet the qualification requirements defined by SPP-1.1 for technicians.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #60 on: Aug 05, 2010, 07:31 »
Can anyone tell me what this means -the incumbent shall meet the qualification requirements defined by SPP-1.1 for technicians.
SPP is Standard Procedures and Practices (at least my plant).  Incumbent is the position a person holds, meaning if you are hired for this position, you will be able to complete the tasks outlined in SPP-1.1.

(I think)
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

kbaxendale

« Reply #61 on: Aug 06, 2010, 09:19 »
Ok thank you, that would make sense.

kbaxendale

« Reply #62 on: Aug 10, 2010, 05:00 »
I got a call from Duke energy today for a Jr. Tech position at McGuire. Can any one tell me any specifics on the plant? Any interview suggestions?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #63 on: Aug 10, 2010, 05:23 »
Review all of the 'normal' interview websites, have answers to all of the  "Tell me about a time when you...[insert challenge here]."

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #64 on: Aug 10, 2010, 09:59 »
McGuire is a great plant in my opinion. I work there a lot and I can't think of anything to complain about. The Supervisors are the best and the RPM is one of the most caring men you could find anywhere. They treat you like family. The plant itself is a big unit in a small bldg. The Containment Bldg is tight and so is the Aux Bldg. but  after you get used to the small rooms and learn how to maneuver through the small spaces you will love it. Duke as a whole is a good company to work for I believe. I actually work for Bartlett at Oconee but i was at Mcguire for their last outage. Good luck in your interview. Just be yourself and you will do fine.

kbaxendale

« Reply #65 on: Aug 10, 2010, 11:18 »
Thanks guys. I will be sure to give an update after it is over and done with.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #66 on: Aug 11, 2010, 08:15 »
All I can say about McGuire is 'I hope you are small.' And I have never been there.

It is an Ice Condenser PWR which means that the containment is VERY small (the Aux building is smaller than average, too) because they do not require the empty air space that 'conventional' PWRs do.

If a normal PWR ever suffers a LOCA with a double ended pipe break (worst case scenario for PWR) all the water will 'instantaneously' flash to steam and there needs to be somewhere for all of the steam to go. That is why containment buildings are so big with so much empty space above the refueling floor. The space allows the steam to expand enough to not blow up the building. Normally it is in the range of 1e6 ft3 of space. Someone got the genius idea of building a nuclear plant on a barge (really!) giving the option of floating the plant to wherever on the coast that the power was needed. So, they needed to come up withways to save size and weight and came up with Ice Condensers. The top and bottom halves of containment are separated by containers with banks of ice that will condense the steam back to water as it expands up, so the excess open space is unnecessary.

According to legend, the original floating plants were to be named Atlantic 1 and 2. Obviously people got smarter somewhere in between concept and construction and they were never built. Unfortunately, they were not smart enough to abandon the design and those of us over 6' tall (some would say 5' tall) and built bigger than your average anorexic teenager have a bit of trouble getting around in the lower containment section. Particularly after the standard outage equipment (scaffolds, spare parts, removed insulation, etc.) have been added. I was working at an Ice Condenser Plant in the early eighties (the decade, not my age) and opened up a gash in my back on a scaffold knuckle, just trying to get from point A to point B.

I am sure that McGuire has redeeming qualities and that others will probably share some. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

kbaxendale

« Reply #67 on: Aug 11, 2010, 05:42 »
I guess it's good for me that I am barely above 5' lol.
Thanks for all the information. It was very helpful, I knew they were a PWR but I did not know they were an ice condensor PWR. That whole concept is really neat.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #68 on: Aug 11, 2010, 07:18 »
I started the business at DC Cook in 1989, which is an Ice Condenser plant also.  I thought the plant was big.  Flash forward 21 years, I worked there again, and I am totally amazed at how small it is.

kbaxendale

« Reply #69 on: Aug 11, 2010, 08:09 »
Does anyone happen to know the average salary for a Jr. Position with Duke, or any of the benefits that they offer? I would really hate to under estimate my worth. Are they a union plant? If so how do I go about finding all that stuff out?

I am trying to learn as much as I can about Duke and the actual plant itself.

HeatherB.

« Reply #70 on: Sep 01, 2010, 02:00 »
Has anyone heard of the contractor companies working on training programs for current Junior techs? To get them more experience, more hours...To foster loyalty with a company... etc. I've been told D.Z. Atlantic has training programs at Cooper & VY (just started? I think?) to further the training of Juniors & help them to become competent, loyal Senior Techs a little quicker. Has Bartlett started anything similar?

With a shortage of Sr. Techs, I'd think ALL the contractor companies would be thinking proactively & trying to "breed" a stronger pool of Juniors to fill those spots eventually. Anyone heard anything promising?
 [thanks]

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #71 on: Sep 01, 2010, 04:08 »
Don't "Think" like that it will end up hurting.
The nuclear industry operates on the here and now principle and NOT what will happen next year or further.
I know that is pessimistic but after more than 3 decades of working on the road as an HP I have yet to see anything to the contrary.

It is VERY frustrating for a Jr. Tech to hang on for @ 5 years in order to get the time and hopefully the experience to become a Sr. Tech.
When they have to install wheelchair access for drywells and cavities (for the aging Sr. Techs) the bean counters might think about training new HPs as a cost saving concept.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #72 on: Sep 01, 2010, 07:56 »

When they have to install wheelchair access for drywells and cavities (for the aging Sr. Techs) the bean counters might think about training new HPs as a cost saving concept.

They have the equivalent - the "Camera Trailer"... youngsters on a wire in the can, geezers in a chair directing them.... :old:
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #73 on: Sep 03, 2010, 11:39 »
I started the business at DC Cook in 1989, which is an Ice Condenser plant also.  I thought the plant was big.  Flash forward 21 years, I worked there again, and I am totally amazed at how small it is.

DC Cook IS big.....compared to McGuire and Catawba
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

kbaxendale

« Reply #74 on: Sep 06, 2010, 01:12 »
Has anyone ever heard of having the EEI tech test administered by phone.  I am taking the test next wed. and was wondering what to expect when I get there. I have been studying for a bit now using the ASVAB study guide and taking practice tests online. Any more advice????

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?