Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu CZ entrances

Author Topic: CZ entrances  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
CZ entrances
« on: Mar 23, 2010, 10:24 »
At BFN we have always had a rad rope across the entrance (step off pad)to a CZ. Recently a policy change was made to remove this barrier as it was deemed to be "workers moving a Rad boundary". Now when you see a CZ entrance all that is there is the Step off pad and the ropes/ boundary ends on the outside of the step off pad.
Can you Rad Pro guys tell me what the industry standard is, or what you do at your station.
I have been at BFN for 18 years, and we have always had the rope barriers. I feel like those open CZ's are trying to suck me into one everytime I walk by.
Thanks

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: CZ entrances
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2010, 06:49 »
SOP only for CZ
Swing gate / rope for HRA
locks for LHRA (flashing lights if lock not practical)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2010, 08:22 »
I have worked at about 30 different sites and have seen it done about 20 different ways. All of them worked if the workers were well trained and actually followed the rules... a big if. A SOP with ropes and and tape on the floor up to the SOP at the boundary is probably the most common. At one time it was fairly common to find plants that had 'Hot' SOPs (I am pretty sure that none are left.) I personally don't like the rope across the SOP at the entrance. It makes it easier for the boundary to be breached (i.e. nobody bothered to put the rope back up.) If the giant Yellow and Magenta pad on the floor is not enough to get the workers' attention then there is a human performance issue or an enforcement problem at fault (don't blame training!) It is also easier to spread contamination if the workers handle the rope with their gloves on to get out and then (since no one bothered to replace it when they stepped out) someone replaces it either without a glove or with their remaining cotton liner. Again, an HU problem, but an avoidable one.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Chimera

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2010, 09:28 »
Like RD, I've seen it done any number of ways over the years - including the days of the "step-over" pads - because you were never sure if they were clean or contaminated. 

I agree with RD in that if the row of trash receptacles leading up to the big yellow and magenta pad on the floor where the only opening in the rad rope exists isn't a give-away for the workers, you probably have larger issues.

It might take a little while to acclimate the workers to the "new way", but it shouldn't be a problem.  It aslo avoids the constant problem of RP getting nailed for the signs not being replaced by the workers.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?