Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Experienced Technical Manager (Not in Nuclear Field).  

Author Topic: Experienced Technical Manager (Not in Nuclear Field).  (Read 3810 times)

RF-TM

I am an Engineering Technical Manager with over twenty years experience in the Cellular, Land Mobile and Satellite communications industries. I started out as a Microwave and RF design engineer but my current role involves building cross functional teams and leading them in designing cutting edge electronic equipment. I have a B.Sc. in Physics but have never been employed in the Nuclear sector.

I applied to an opening for a "Nuclear Operations Training Instructor". I feel my background has given me many of the skills needed for success in this position but realize that lack of direct experience in the Nuclear industry will be seen as a drawback.

Can you give me some advice on how I can overcome this perception and make a successful transition? Perhaps by recommending other job types that would be a better starting point.

If you would like a little more detail on my background please see: http://www.linkedin.com/in/gdthomas

Thanks.
Gary

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Experienced Technical Manager (Not in Nuclear Field).
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2010, 11:43 »
I am an Instructor Trainer -- I teach the Operations Instructors and keep them qualified to teach. Your roadblocks would indeed be many and formidable, the most severe of which would likely be gaining the respect of your peers and trainees. They have all gone through very rigorous training and a lot of hard work to get where they are (I am not saying you haven't, but it is totally unrelated experience.) The amount and intensity of training that goes into making an Operator is astounding. Without that experience you are not likely to do well as an instructor. On top of that you are severely limited by not having an operators license yourself. You are limited in the classes that you can teach without a license or SRO Certificate. As an instructor you will also be required to attend the training that your trainees do (i.e. those classes you do not teach) and pass any related tests to maintain your technical skills. Very difficult without the background.

There are Engineering Instructor positions in Nuclear Plants as well. Perhaps that is where you should be looking if you really want to enter the nuclear arena. You would still need to beef up your nuclear knowledge, but it would be much less of a stretch.

Good luck and keep us informed.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2010, 11:56 »
Can you give me some advice on how I can overcome this perception and make a successful transition? Perhaps by recommending other job types that would be a better starting point.

Nuclear services and equipment vendors might be a place to look. Some of those include SAIC, Thermo Scientific, Merlin Gerin, Ludlum, Johnson Controls and Woodward.

RF-TM

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2010, 01:04 »
Thank you all for your candid and helpful replies. As I hoped, they provide a combination of reality checks and constructive suggestions.

I did not mean to imply that I think the path would be easy or that anything in my background already qualifies me for the position. I do believe that with the right opportunities and hard work I am capable of learning what I need to know to work my way into this type of position. However, as you point out there are other less tangible barriers to overcome and your replies have given me a way to quantify those.

Thanks
Gary

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?