19 (76%)
No Opinion
0 (0%)
Dislike It
0 (0%)
Hate It
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: AMP-100  (Read 10341 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
AMP-100
« on: Mar 25, 2010, 02:43 »
If you have used the AMP-100, please rate it for us...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Re: AMP-100
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2010, 12:31 »
No complaints...very useful, diverse instrument.  We use ours for Dose Rate tracking, Alarming ARM's and underwater surveys.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

rjc4243

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2010, 09:05 »
 :)  Very useful instrument.  Amp 50;s and 200's are also usefull.  Very easy to use and calibrate.  Cables can be up to 100 meters, therefore readout can be used for rediography.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2010, 05:56 »
I also believe it to be a good instrument. we use it nearly every day in our pool and it has yet to fail us. I don't know of an easier instrument to use, turn it on and read it. Under water surveys (if that is what you are using it for) are a pain in the arse to begin with. The results are hard to interpret due to the water and not knowing how big the source really is that it is measuring (plane, point, line). But it is the easiest to use that I have seen in this type of environment.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline SpyCat

• Light User
  • RPT since 1984
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2013, 09:29 »
AMP 100/200:
--pretty easy to calibrate
--battery usage not bad
--user can select R/hr alarm from its preset list

But, I've had to deal with water intrusion thru the connector at the detector end.  If this isn't wrapped/ taped/ sealed, it will smoke the detector.  My advice: To kill 2 birds, tape the cable to the detector to provide strain relief, so that the cable's insulator isn't tugged out from the connector's sealing gasket.  But duct tape sucks, please use electrical tape.
And if it gets caught on something down in the deep...don't pull too hard.  It is possible to yank the cable right out.  We'll get that detector back someday...

Overall, we like the AMP 100.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2013, 01:02 »
AMP 100/200:
--battery usage not bad

But, I've had to deal with water intrusion thru the connector at the detector end.  If this isn't wrapped/ taped/ sealed, it will smoke the detector.  My advice: To kill 2 birds, tape the cable to the detector to provide strain relief, so that the cable's insulator isn't tugged out from the connector's sealing gasket.  But duct tape sucks, please use electrical tape.
And if it gets caught on something down in the deep...don't pull too hard.  It is possible to yank the cable right out.  We'll get that detector back someday...

If you're having that challenge attach a short stress relief from the detector to the cable and dip coat that full assembly in plastisol,...

Use the variety which releases easily upon cutting and mild heat gun encouragement,...

Tape is effective enough but amateur for repeated uses, plus one good DRP in the adhesive costs time, equipment and sometimes dose,...

[2cents]
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2013, 01:05 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Schiner

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2013, 02:40 »
We bought 2 a few years ago for monitoring waste in our glovebox.  We were not able to use it though.  It's good for hard hitting gammas, but only has a linear response for energies down to 70 KeV.   If you've got a significant amount of AM-241 dose, like we do, it grossly under-responds.

Offline MercTech

• Light User
  • Gotta Glow for the Dough
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2013, 01:09 »
AMP 100/200:
--battery usage not bad

But, I've had to deal with water intrusion thru the connector at the detector end.  If this isn't wrapped/ taped/ sealed, it will smoke the detector.  My advice: To kill 2 birds, tape the cable to the detector to provide strain relief, so that the cable's insulator isn't tugged out from the connector's sealing gasket.  But duct tape sucks, please use electrical tape.
And if it gets caught on something down in the deep...don't pull too hard.  It is possible to yank the cable right out.  We'll get that detector back someday...

If you are smoking the detector using it underwater, look to the Ikelite connector.  Those fittings designed by Ikelite for underwater camera housings are waterproof to 300 feet.

Common problems are deterioration of the two O-rings, and forcing the connector so it damages the o-rings.
Also, the compression fitting on the cable side needs to be made up and torqued to spec.
I like to put a little dielectric silicone on the o-rings for lubrication when making one up for underwater use.

You might want to attach a line to the detector and not drag it by the cable as that stresses the compression fitting that provides waterproofing on the cable side of the connection.  1/8" dacron can be slip knotted to the detector with a couple of half hitches up a foot or so of line.  Then you can remove the line trash it easily leaving the detector and cable easier to decontaminate.

Steven Jerkins
Have dose records, will travel

Soul Merchant

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2014, 03:13 »
Prefer -200 more useful range for underwater purposes. Ditto silicone for o-rings, without help they will fail, it's just a matter of time

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?