Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu nrrpt exam with no reactor experience

Author Topic: nrrpt exam with no reactor experience  (Read 10682 times)

Offline sjyu

• Light User
nrrpt exam with no reactor experience
« on: Jul 15, 2010, 09:17 »
My exerperience has been mostly lab and hospital based.  I have no problems with that, but the reactor questions are throwing me on the practice test cd's. I've just started studying for the test.  I took the prep class through the radiation safety academy which was pretty good as a starting point for me and I'm reading Gollneck right now. 

With no reactor experience, will just reading about it actually be enough to past the test?  I might be able to get some time at a research reactor near by if needed.

Thanks

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Re: nrrpt exam with no reactor experience
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2010, 09:39 »
Most of us here who have taken the NRRPT had no medical or lab experience. But we were able to muddle through. Reading the right information and asking good questions will definitely help you. Make sure you get your fundamentals right.

Good Luck
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:41 »
I'm reading Gollneck right now. 

If you are interested in taking the NRRPT,

Youuuuu might be a Goll Neck.

Basic Radiation Protection Technology 5th Edition
by Daniel A. Gollnick
Paperback: 822 pages
Publisher: Pacific Radiation Corp;
ISBN: 0916339114; 5th edition

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:49 »
With no reactor experience, will just reading about it actually be enough to past the test?  I might be able to get some time at a research reactor near by if needed.

You don't need Rx experience, you just need to understand some basic concepts like Activation Products vs Fission Products.  Those are the typical sources of radiation in a Rx facility.  You may need to know what radionuclides are activation products and where they come from, and which are fission products, and where they are going (decay chains).  Like anything else, it would be easier to remember the information if you had a hands on to relate what you read to, but all you really need is an attention to detail, and a good memory.

Offline sjyu

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2010, 04:30 »
Dang, I really needed to do spell check on that message.   

I don't really want to take the test, but they are pretty much expecting it of all the techs here after a few years.  They always say  "we can't promote you unless you have this." 

I'm really more of hands on person and I'm having problems memorizing all the details. Tell me what needs to be done and how and I'm on my way.  Here they have this odd idea that I should know why I'm doing what I'm doing. Oh, well. Good way to exercise the old brain.

Thanks for the comments.

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2010, 05:01 »
We just hired a technician that had taken and passed the NRRPT.  He worked in a hospital, he seems to be catching on pretty quickly.  Anyone can pass the test if the apply themselves.  I spent an entire year on the Cook Fuel deck studying when I wasn't covering jobs.  Passed it on the first try (1991).

Good Luck
Is it time for coffee yet?

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2010, 09:59 »
Data Chem Computer program helped me for NRRPT and CHP part 1, They have moneyback guarantee, Also if miss question they explain the right answer.

Passed both first time, I give Data Chem alot of credit for it.

http://www.datachemsoftware.com/nrrptprep.htm

mostlyharmless

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2010, 09:31 »
Can you be a little more specific about the questions that give you trouble? One of the hardest for me was exposure from therapeutic x-ray. Its great that you're taking it. Its a hard test.For me anyway. I studied like a mad b****strd ,stressed heavily, and one hour into it I knew I had failed.I was so stressed I forgot the half life of cobalt 60,drew a complete blank on a number I see a lot. And the bad thing is I had to go to the bath room twice and I passed right by a chart of the nuckleheads and didnt realize it until after the test. Based on the firm knowledge and security of failure I relaxed and completed the other 3/4 of the test. I passed anyway. I was shocked, and there was much rejoicing.The sheer bulk of information is intimidating, but you can do it. I focused on the math, and much to my discomfort their was not much math on my test, and I,m setting there trying to remember the color of some shipping placard out of the cfr among a bunch of things I read but didn't really pay close attention to.  PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO EVERYTHING. Sorry about the caps but I swetted unnecessary bullets. What I did was this. I took Moe and chapter by chapter highlighted everything I thought was important ,answered all the questions at the end of each chapter, compared how Moe stated things to Goal at the Neck, and a few others, stated things and went back and wrote it all down chapter at a time. I made my on study guide,completely plagiarized of course. I also worked through the math book suplied by the NRRPT folks,I believe by White. I also studied ,not nearly enough, the CFRs recommended by NRRPT. I learned a lot. I mean a lot and am better off for it.I dint make any more money,so for me its a personal thing. Out of the hundreds of hps were I work there are very few NRRPTed up techs, so there is little value for it here. But I digress,its early and I've had lots of coffee and am a bit to much awake.  But give us a better clue about whats difficult for you and would love to help. And dint worry to much about spelling, I cant spell either and spell check doesn't catch everything.

IPREGEN

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2010, 12:12 »
As exciting as the Gollnick book is, the way that helped me is to get the workbook that goes with it. Solving problems was a great way to prep. I also had audio cassettes of Gollnick, I guess they would be CD's now. They are very dangerous to listen to while driving, however they do play well in a babies room.

Offline sjyu

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2010, 04:03 »
Gollnick has a workbook? I've not seen that.  And I've not seen the audio tapes either.  I do better listening and reading then just reading.

I have the datachem test prep cd and the  Gollnick Basic Radiation Protection Technology Self-Study Courses  http://www.pacificrad.com/pages/publications.html which includes 8 cd's with short lectures coving some basic material.                                

They want us to pass so they are buying all the study materials that are suggested.  It's just a matter of taking the time to study and applying myself to it.

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2010, 04:04 by sjyu »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2010, 10:38 »
I also had audio cassettes of Gollnick, I guess they would be CD's now. They are very dangerous to listen to while driving, however they do play well in a babies room.

They make Ban Stein sound multi-tonal.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2010, 10:38 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2010, 09:11 »
That too.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?