Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Chemical cleaning Hx's  

Author Topic: Chemical cleaning Hx's  (Read 10212 times)

radbrat

Chemical cleaning Hx's
« on: Mar 30, 2010, 02:15 »
Got a couple of Fuel Pool Cooling/Cleaning Hx's that have had a degrading trend in their heat transfer performance. Had a bid for a vendor to perform (proprietary) cleaning and was subsequently told to perform the restoration of the Hx's "inhouse" and a heck of a lot cheaper. Anyone have any tales to tell about:
1) Chemicals used (this is a BWR with HWC and GEZIP, no NMC as yet)
2) Resins used for cleanup and return to service of water

Most likely fouling mechanism is macro (FME introduced over the years through Fuel Pool skimmer tanks), iron oxide, and possible adherent from chemicals used for reactor cavity decon.

Appreciate any help I can get.

haverty

Re: Chemical cleaning Hx's
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2010, 02:20 »
hydrolancing not an option?

JsonD13

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2010, 04:55 »
Did you guys check into hydrogen peroxide?  I am not sure of the chemical implications are with that system, but I know it does a darned good job of getting crud moved out.

mostlyharmless

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2010, 07:18 »
Maybe sodium hydroxide.

radbrat

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2010, 12:31 »
Well...cant use h202, it'll mess up the demin beds, Evil Al suggested red flaming nitric acid, but we decided on oxalic  and citric acid(######tm) with some surfactants in low volume. Needed to set up temp demin vessels and a series of particulate filters. What I was looking for was any OE's on similar jobs in the bizness.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2010, 01:38 »
Well...cant use h202, it'll mess up the demin beds, Evil Al suggested red flaming nitric acid, but we decided on oxalic  and citric acid(######tm) with some surfactants in low volume. Needed to set up temp demin vessels and a series of particulate filters. What I was looking for was any OE's on similar jobs in the bizness.

Using hydrogen peroxide was a common practice. Is there something about your resin beds that is different? When ever it was used the resin was normally changed right afterward due to physical and radiological loading anyway.

haverty

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2010, 07:54 »

I've used nitric acid and citric acid to great success cleaning HX's.

radbrat

« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:58 »
Using hydrogen peroxide was a common practice. Is there something about your resin beds that is different? When ever it was used the resin was normally changed right afterward due to physical and radiological loading anyway.
Hydrogen Peroxide is a common practice where the dilution factor (PWR's for crud bursts) is ginormous. Arent the demin vessels valved out during the H2O2 add? They usually use 10-20 Liters to the system volume, 200k gals? The RCS (particulate) filters are in line during the crud burst? Demin's will react with high concentrations to hydrogen peroxide, anions are very reactive.
I've used nitric acid and citric acid to great success cleaning HX's.
Halfway throught the job and numbers are looking good.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2010, 11:46 »
Hydrogen Peroxide is a common practice where the dilution factor (PWR's for crud bursts) is ginormous. Arent the demin vessels valved out during the H2O2 add? They usually use 10-20 Liters to the system volume, 200k gals? The RCS (particulate) filters are in line during the crud burst? Demin's will react with high concentrations to hydrogen peroxide, anions are very reactive. Halfway throught the job and numbers are looking good.

[thanks] +K

haverty

« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2010, 12:20 »
Halfway throught the job and numbers are looking good.

Cool. How are you doing it, I'm curious. I made a pump rig to continuously recirculate it, as well as taking the thing out and soaking it. (I imagine the scale of HX's you are cleaning is much much larger then what I'm used to, further adding to my curiosity! :) )

JsonD13

« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2010, 08:11 »
Cool. How are you doing it, I'm curious. I made a pump rig to continuously recirculate it, as well as taking the thing out and soaking it. (I imagine the scale of HX's you are cleaning is much much larger then what I'm used to, further adding to my curiosity! :) )
As well as to mention, radioactive.  Which is something most in the Navy do not get to mess with.

radbrat

« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2010, 08:46 »
Sent you a PM.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?