Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Reactor Operator Vs. Nuclear engineer honeypot

Author Topic: Reactor Operator Vs. Nuclear engineer  (Read 10702 times)

Nuclear_Nerd

Reactor Operator Vs. Nuclear engineer
« on: Apr 05, 2010, 03:34 »
I'm precollege Student (3 month from the end of high school I am getting a NY state Regents Diploma on June 23 and I am going to a CC). I am looking to be in the nuclear field but I do not the different between Reactor Operator and Nuclear engineer. I want to work in a Nuclear Power Plant.

Nuclear Renaissance

Re: Reactor Operator Vs. Nuclear engineer
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2010, 04:01 »
Reactor operators and nuclear engineers work hand in hand during power maneuvering, in different capacities.

A nuclear engineer's concern is specifically with the fuel inside the reactor; predicting how it will respond under various operating conditions and ensuring that response is within the required bounds.

A reactor operator will manipulate the reactivity of that fuel during operation, along with every other piece of equipment necessary to make power. They also ensure that every plant system required to protect that fuel under normal operation and emergency conditions is ready and able to perform its function, and with all the necessary redundancy.

I have been both; the engineering side provides a strong theoretical foundation, but the operations side is the most challenging and rewarding, both in feelings of accomplishment and compensation.

Nuclear_Nerd

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2010, 04:06 »
Could I be a Reactor Operator and part time college student at the same time?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2010, 05:06 »
You mean when you get out of high school?

No. It doesn't work like that.

First you have to get into the industry, and if you want ops, you are going to have to start as an NLO.

To get hired as an NLO, you are going to have to get some sort of degree (2 year technical will work sometimes) or navy nuclear experience. There are other ways to get hired as NLO, but those are the typical candidates qualifications.

Then you will have to work as an NLO for a few years.

Then maybe you will get selected to go into RO class.

Now, once you are an RO, can you go to college? Of course you can. What you do in your off time is your business.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2010, 05:08 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2010, 11:20 »
Could I be a Reactor Operator and part time college student at the same time?

I think you're asking if you can work as an operator while you get a degree?

The simple answer is no... There really are no "part time" jobs at a nuke plant like you're talking about.  The only way to work at a nuclear plant as a college student would be to get an internship either during the summer, or do a co-op semester.  This is actually one of the best ways to get a job in any industries because it gets you in on the ground floor.

Also, a piece of advice... It doesn't matter how well you did in high school, if you're going somewhere for a nuclear engineering degree, you'll have a hard time balancing that program with a job at Wendy's... Make school your first priority and get out with good grades and some related summer work experience, then you'll be positioned to do whatever you want.

Good Luck, College is awesome, so don't forget to have some fun while you're there (I know that contradicts what I just said, but balance is important too).

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2010, 01:32 »
Also, a nuclear engineer is firstly an engineer.  In general, the first couple of years of engineering education are pretty much the same for all flavors (nuclear, civil, mechanical, etc.).  As such, nuclear engineers can be found all over the place at a nuclear power plant (operations, engineering, health physics, etc.).  They can also be found at places like the national labs, reactor vendors such as GE or Westinghouse, or architect engineering engineers like Shaw or Bechtel. 

Depending on what college you go to, they may own a small research reactor.  If there is, that can be a great place to work while you are in school - it pays better than McDonalds, looks better on your resume, and you may even get an NRC operators license out of it.

As far as which job is better (operator or engineer), it really depends on what you like.  In general, engineers get paid less, but don't have to work shift work.  Also in general, engineering sets the limits on how operations runs the plant (by the selecting the equipment that installed, setting things like the minimum and maximum flow for a pump, and so on).  Operations in turn points out to engineering where their designs are deficient, or where the plant isn't running as desired.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?