Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Joining Navy Reserves after 6 years active duty honeypot

Author Topic: Joining Navy Reserves after 6 years active duty  (Read 11735 times)

ribri02

Joining Navy Reserves after 6 years active duty
« on: Apr 06, 2010, 11:22 »
I am an MM2 on terminal leave and am thinking about making a smooth transition to the Navy Reserve. Since there are no nuke billets in the Reserves, I was wondering if anyone currently in the Reserves could chime in and tell me what the Annual Training is like for prior nukes and what sort of billets you have seen in the past or are seeing now. Thanks.

ribri02

Re: Joining Navy Reserves after 6 years active duty
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2010, 11:35 »
No Reservists out there?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2010, 03:00 »
I am an MM2 on terminal leave and am thinking about making a smooth transition to the Navy Reserve. Since there are no nuke billets in the Reserves, I was wondering if anyone currently in the Reserves could chime in and tell me what the Annual Training is like for prior nukes and what sort of billets you have seen in the past or are seeing now. Thanks.

When I tried to do the same as you detail, the choice was strike for another rate as NEC 0000, period. I had better offers from the Army.

Years later, a buddy of mine who was MM2(SS) with underwater welder quals and experience was offered.... Builder. Yep, Seabees. Not to say he hasn't had an awesome time in 2 tours of Iraq and made Chief and all that...just saying don't expect Reserves to be a good deal in any Nuclear context. YMMV!
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2010, 03:00 by HydroDave63 »

S3GLMS

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2010, 07:21 »
When I left the Navy in the mid 90's, they were forcing nukes to take 1 paygrade down to direct cross to your conventional rate in the reserves because they were so overmanned.  That combined with the non-nuclear work turned me away.  The only unit left in Minnesota after 2005 is an aviation unit in Minneapolis.  Too far for me to travel and a lot of extra cost to be involved.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?