Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Coming from England to the US honeypot

Author Topic: Coming from England to the US  (Read 14542 times)

biscuit

Coming from England to the US
« on: Apr 07, 2010, 12:28 »
I have been considering of coming across to the US to possibly take up health physics.Is there anyone out there who could put me in the right direction as to where to apply.I have seen on the jobs board that there are many opportunities at various plants ...but which one would most suit a Brit...what is the money like ,a lot of the positions advertised are unspecified..... 

If anyone can answer my questions please do
                                        Cheers Dave

Offline Rather Hunt Than Tech

• Light User
  • It's not Rocket Science we're only Splitting Atoms
Re: Coming from England to the US
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2010, 03:05 »
What is your current experience with nuclear power?  You said to "possibly take up Health Physics", If you are currently an HP Tech, then you should have little trouble getting work.

I have been to England on vacation, or as you would say on holiday. A great country.  I miss Fullers London Pride Ale, very hard to find here.
ATF: Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Goverment Agency

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2010, 11:40 »
I have been considering of coming across to the US to possibly take up health physics.Is there anyone out there who could put me in the right direction as to where to apply.I have seen on the jobs board that there are many opportunities at various plants ...but which one would most suit a Brit...what is the money like ,a lot of the positions advertised are unspecified..... 

If anyone can answer my questions please do
                                        Cheers Dave

1-800-225-0385.  They can answer your questions.  ...or click on the Bartlett link at the top of the page...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

biscuit

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2010, 02:31 »
Sorry I wasnt specific enough , I am a qualified HP surveyor , been in the business for 6 years ....Cant believe I have met a yank that likes our warm bitter beer ...I love it myself..that with a hot curry...so my chances would be good to get a job over your side of the pond...would I get a work permit ok though

biscuit

« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2010, 02:47 »
I forgot to say what is the D of E test like how many questions...is it hard

biscuit

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2010, 09:59 »
Thanks for the info Tim

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2010, 04:30 »
Sorry I wasnt specific enough , I am a qualified HP surveyor , been in the business for 6 years ....Cant believe I have met a yank that likes our warm bitter beer ...I love it myself..that with a hot curry...so my chances would be good to get a job over your side of the pond...would I get a work permit ok though

I seriously would contact Bartlett...they are the company I know of that has done the legwork to get 'work permits' for techs from other countries...specifically, I know they have employed techs from Mexico & Sweden.  

I don't know whether they are actively seeking foreign techs at this time.  But, as short as the tech supply gets over here during outage season, they might find you a job & a work visa.  

The right Bartlett recruiter will be a better information resource than most people on this site.  (Not 'all people on this site', since their recruiting manager might chime in at any second...)   ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2010, 05:17 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

FatMalky

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2010, 09:41 »
Which UK plant are you coming from?

I'm originally from Scotland but now live in the U.S. and work as an HP - I also did this in Scotland, at Hunterston Power Station.  I married an American, though, so that's how I got here.

Before coming over, I had contacted Bartlett and was basically told, "Get here, then contact us and we'll be able to put you to work."  Not really much help.

There is a definite shortage of HPs over here, which may help you, but believe me, it is incredibly difficult to get Work Visas etc. for the U.S.  I had even tried to get Bartlett to set up some sort of exchange programme with RadWise (and there's now also Nuvia) but they didn't seem too interested.

I saw you mentioned DoE.  I was told as a non-US Citizen, even as a Permanent Resident, that I couldn't work most DoE sites.  That was around 5 years ago, but I haven't tried since.  Just make sure you check it out before getting your hopes up.

Would Canada interest you?  As far as I know, there's a lot of Brits working at Bruce Power on Lake Huron.  Just a thought.

If you have any other questions about us ex-Pats living/working here, just ask.  I'll try my best to answer you.

Good luck and "Best of British"!

Jon.

Argyleross

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 05:50 »
Is there a lot of work for a mechanical fitter in the nuclear industry from England? I have 5 years of experience doing this in England on submarines but would love the chance to work in the U.S. Most jobs advertised are for U.S citizens, though. I have no idea where to start to be honest so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Radwise

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:06 »
Which UK plant are you coming from?

I'm originally from Scotland but now live in the U.S. and work as an HP - I also did this in Scotland, at Hunterston Power Station.  I married an American, though, so that's how I got here.

Before coming over, I had contacted Bartlett and was basically told, "Get here, then contact us and we'll be able to put you to work."  Not really much help.

There is a definite shortage of HPs over here, which may help you, but believe me, it is incredibly difficult to get Work Visas etc. for the U.S.  I had even tried to get Bartlett to set up some sort of exchange programme with RadWise (and there's now also Nuvia) but they didn't seem too interested.

I saw you mentioned DoE.  I was told as a non-US Citizen, even as a Permanent Resident, that I couldn't work most DoE sites.  That was around 5 years ago, but I haven't tried since.  Just make sure you check it out before getting your hopes up.

Would Canada interest you?  As far as I know, there's a lot of Brits working at Bruce Power on Lake Huron.  Just a thought.

If you have any other questions about us ex-Pats living/working here, just ask.  I'll try my best to answer you.

Good luck and "Best of British"!

Jon.

Jon,

In May of this year I was approached by Bartlett to discuss the possibility of Radwise/Bartlett teaming up for mutual benefit with regards to the flow of personnel in both directions.

As I explained at the time, there is a major lack of suitably qualified and experienced personnel in the UK.  There is a desperate need for new blood to be brought into the industry to meet the current and forecasted demands.  To counter this Radwise are the only company in the UK that are investing heavily in the training of contract Health Physics personnel at considerable and non-recoverable expense to ourselves. 

With this in mind, and with regards to Radwise potentially supporting Bartlett operations elsewhere, we already have enough on our plate within the UK never mind looking at the possibility of supporting works in other countries as we unfortunately do not have any spare personnel to utilise.  That is not to say that we wouldn’t be in a position at a later date to reconsider this stance but right now things are critical with regards to the availability of suitable contract personnel in the UK.

We have just under 250 personnel at present.  We have brought close to 50 trainees through to fully qualified status in the last 18 months and going forward we are probably looking at the same figures being brought through in the coming 18 months.

I have confirmed to Bartlett that Radwise may be willing to take on American personnel for works in the UK during down periods in America but for this to happen Radwise need to be fully aware of details regarding rates of labour (including associated travel and subsistence costs) for American based personnel.  I am still waiting on this information being provided to me.

Hope everything is going well for you out there.

David McBride

WATP

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:56 »
It will be interesting where this thread leads. It has not been very practicle or profitable to travel across the pond from the U.S.A to work in England. So most likely for Health Physics Techs this would be a one way exchange if the Visa is can be worked out to get here from England.
                                                          Best of Luck
                                                                             Old HP

P.S.  If you get here, remember we drive on the other side of the road!!!

IPREGEN

« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:52 »
I remember another Brit that became a tech over here. Steven James, he adapted quite well and I would run into him from job to job. Does anyone know if he still works here?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?