Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Really thinking of taking NLO over SRO honeypot

Author Topic: Really thinking of taking NLO over SRO  (Read 45276 times)

deadspace1399

Re: Really thinking of taking NLO over SRO
« Reply #50 on: Apr 30, 2010, 09:19 »
deadspace just a word advice.  You need to consider the tax rate for the state that the job is in.

MA, NJ, NY, CA & OH are among he worst in the country.

Why would you even consider been a SRO?

Many techs make more money than you have mentioned that you were offered.  I just had an interview for a planning job and was told that with OT the low person in the department made $125 K and the top person made $200 K.

Not trying to rain on your parade but who wants all that responsibility? Besides you get to go home at night and leave the job at work.

Well that is one factor as to why I accepted NC....much easier on the taxes than the states that were listed....
I agree with Marssim the NLO/RO/SRO provides something a bit more stable to always have.
Plus I have heard that while your a tech and your at home at night you can get called in because something breaks....so I've heard that at times in a crunch your life can actually be worse.

I like ops and if I choose to I think I could probably make a successful cross over to maintenance but first I want to work on the quals and hopefully license. 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 12:51 »

I like ops 

I am going to be interested in keeping up to date on this over the next couple of years.  :P

Naw, you made the right choice for what you need/desire IMO. I am sorry Exelon.....

Well anyway, welcome to the club.

deadspace1399

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 05:56 »
I am going to be interested in keeping up to date on this over the next couple of years.  :P

Naw, you made the right choice for what you need/desire IMO. I am sorry Exelon.....

Well anyway, welcome to the club.

Thanks and yes I will keep a time line that I can feed people for process of NLO to RO to SRO.  Feels great to belong to commercial nuclear!
I think this will make me a stronger SRO and supervisor once I finally make it :)

rlbinc

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2010, 02:12 »
While working at Progress Energy remember these critical translations -

"86 Lockout" = nuisance relay which may be reset to re-energize a faulted bus
"Secondary Fire" = something that happens after an 86 Lockout is reset on a faulted bus
"Thanks for the feedback" = your comment is not appreciated nor valued
"ZTEF" = Zero Tolerance for Expenditure of Funds (not Equipment Failure)

Your favorite will be
"Employee Bonus" = fund source for emergent and unpredictable hurricane repairs (NC, FL - who knew...)

You're going to love this job.

deadspace1399

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2010, 04:13 »
While working at Progress Energy remember these critical translations -

"86 Lockout" = nuisance relay which may be reset to re-energize a faulted bus
"Secondary Fire" = something that happens after an 86 Lockout is reset on a faulted bus
"Thanks for the feedback" = your comment is not appreciated nor valued
"ZTEF" = Zero Tolerance for Expenditure of Funds (not Equipment Failure)

Your favorite will be
"Employee Bonus" = fund source for emergent and unpredictable hurricane repairs (NC, FL - who knew...)

You're going to love this job.

Wow such angst....all I can say it will be 36516519849616516149498169191 8times better than what the Navy had in store for me......

Offline Ops Nub

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #55 on: Jun 03, 2010, 06:55 »
Ops is great, Did NLO for 18 months, now in an ILO class. Glad I didn't choose to do anything direct. Its not the same.
Jay

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #56 on: Jun 04, 2010, 06:14 »
With the training programs today, there is no need to go an NLO route (unless you don't think you can hack it instantly). In fact, the RO upgrades in my class said their NLO training did nothing for them.  And given how people move to others plants so much these days, it doesn't matter yet again. Of course, some people just can't cut it in license class no matter what. Those that can do it instantly....
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2010, 06:22 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
« Reply #57 on: Jun 07, 2010, 10:46 »
Things are changing but having been in the business for over 30 years, NOTHING replaces hands on experience in the plant your operating.  I do not mean you can not be good at what you do without it but with in the plant experience you can only be better.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #58 on: Jun 07, 2010, 12:51 »
False. I can name several "hands on" SRO's that are probably the worst SROs at my plant.

Point is, for the right people, if you spend the 6 months on site in the field, that is plenty of "hands on" experience.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 12:53 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
« Reply #59 on: Jun 08, 2010, 03:55 »
Sounds good for your plant but having started as a non licensed operator during construction then licensing and becoming part of the original crew to start up the plant, then upgrading to SRO and later training RO's and SRO's for 15 years.........there is a difference.  You are right in that there are duds in all of the paths to the control room but my comment was that the plant experience only makes you better.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #60 on: Jun 09, 2010, 08:57 »
No one is digging the hole to build their plant.

Duchess

« Reply #61 on: Jun 09, 2010, 09:24 »
No one is digging the hole to build their plant.

What about this?

http://www.southerncompany.com/nuclearenergy/vogtle_units.aspx

That looks like a pretty big hole.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #62 on: Jun 09, 2010, 10:35 »
You dare question JustinZilla ?!?   ;)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #63 on: Jun 10, 2010, 04:00 »
What about this?

http://www.southerncompany.com/nuclearenergy/vogtle_units.aspx

That looks like a pretty big hole.

You missed my point in my sarcastic response.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2010, 05:13 by JustinHEMI »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #64 on: Jun 10, 2010, 04:04 »
You dare question JustinZilla ?!?   ;)

Haha I am not even sure why I bother anymore.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2010, 05:13 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
« Reply #65 on: Jun 10, 2010, 04:15 »
I am not trying to be difficult but I have learned that my OPINION is just that and even with a few years of experience behind me I still learn once in a while that my OPINION is not Perfect.  WOW hard to imagine.

With a little poking fun.........I am looking out the window at a hole that is about 90 feet deep being backfilled with "Q" dirt to the elevation that the Base Slab will be poured for the first new reactors in the United States.

I am pretty sure you are a talented, intelligent guy who has accomplished much with your Navy background and now your SRO.  Thanks for your service and and now with your license (and a little experience) you will probably be one of the best the industry has seen.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #66 on: Jun 10, 2010, 06:00 »
I am not trying to be difficult but I have learned that my OPINION is just that and even with a few years of experience behind me I still learn once in a while that my OPINION is not Perfect.  WOW hard to imagine.

With a little poking fun.........I am looking out the window at a hole that is about 90 feet deep being backfilled with "Q" dirt to the elevation that the Base Slab will be poured for the first new reactors in the United States.

I am pretty sure you are a talented, intelligent guy who has accomplished much with your Navy background and now your SRO.  Thanks for your service and and now with your license (and a little experience) you will probably be one of the best the industry has seen.

Yes no worries. I was just poking fun saying that no one is bringing the kind of experience you had to the table anymore. :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?