Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Networking for Canadian Nuclear - PM or PE work (I&C/Electrical) honeypot

Author Topic: Networking for Canadian Nuclear - PM or PE work (I&C/Electrical)  (Read 6020 times)

robss

My wife is a native of Toronto, and I need to move East to Toronto instead of just visiting on weekends (driving from Michigan). First, I need to get a job. My application for residency will be "in the mail" by the end of the month.

I have been registered on the OPG site for over a year, and nothing has really been available. Working at Bruce (unless time was split locally) is a nonstarter. Something near Toronto, or some work from home is required.

I have been working through the Canadian Nuclear Industry Capabilities Guide, which has some useful info in it.

I have also been in contact with a few people (both through my wife's contacts and my work contacts) in the industry, but so far nothing has materialized....

I have been a contractor for the past 12 years, primarily in I&C / Electrical design. Also Construction/maintenance/plant (system) engineering. Currently a project engineer on a security upgrade. I would like to remain a contractor if possible, but I would take anything now.  I have also worked for a PLC provider as a PE.  Looking for a PE or PM job if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can find something local?  Contacts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
Hey there! From what you wrote I would say that you are covering all the bases you can right now.  Until you get a work permit/visa you will have issues getting in the door.  OPG will get you a permit if they have a need that cannot be filled with a qualified Canadian.  I know it took me 2 years to get in the door once I started applying.  By all means feel free to contact me via PM here or email.

Cheers,
Jim Rodgers
NRRPT
Senior Technical Engineer/Officer
Ontario Power Generation
Pickering Waste Management Facility
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

robss

Jim:

Thanks for the input.  I was hoping to get a permit, but there just doesn't appear to be any jobs available!
How would I go about finding out the job shops that OPG uses?  I know of a few, but would like to get my CV out there....

Thanks for your insight.  Where do you live?  We are just north of Downtown TO.

Rob

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
You might want to try the PWU hiring hall, www.pwu.ca I do believe.  They hired me in for a couple of outages at Bruce Power and they also supply folks to OPG for outages in non-RP trades as well at times.  Just another avenue to explore. PM sent as to where I live :)
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?